QM2 Westbound to New York, plus 7 days stopover in New Jersey

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: QM2 Westbound to New York, plus 7 days stopover in New Jersey

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Not really making a comparison with P&O on that point Gill rather that Grills passengers pay a lot more than us steerage types on Cunard, so I don't envy them their little extras. But equally I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I could afford it, rather that is doesn't put me off Cunard that I can't. If you see what I mean

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I know what you're saying - I think :lol:
Gill

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I suppose what I was really saying was to those worried about the "class" system is that it's not worth worrying about. You don't feel inferior as a steerage passenger because you have access to 95% of the ship and with the exception of the cabin, restaurant, a teeny bit of deck and the Queen's Lounge every else is open to all and you get what you pay for.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
I would disagree with you on one point though, Grill passengers can eat in the Britannia restaurant if they so wish albeit not at an allocated table but it is allowed.
I stand corrected! :) But would they want to eat with us riff raff? :crazy:

Having said that I did hear one Grills passenger complaining bitterly about the food the previous night!
Merv, the majority of Grill passengers are no different to you and I or any different to passengers who have a suite on any other ship and if they try to convince you otherwise then they obviously see themselves as something 'special' :roll: strangely enough those who are used to doing it don't feel the need to tell everyone and their mother about it so what does that tell you :yawn:

I must have been lucky, in over 25 years of cruising I haven't really met any riff raff just a lot of really nice people and tbh the type of accommodation they or I have makes no difference at all to me, I like people for who they are not what I think they have/haven't got.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Merv, the majority of Grill passengers are no different to you and I or any different to passengers who have a suite on any other ship and if they try to convince you otherwise then they obviously see themselves as something 'special' :roll: strangely enough those who are used to doing it don't feel the need to tell everyone and their mother about it so what does that tell you :yawn:

I must have been lucky, in over 25 years of cruising I haven't really met any riff raff just a lot of really nice people and tbh the type of accommodation they or I have makes no difference at all to me, I like people for who they are not what I think they have/haven't got.
I couldn't agree more :thumbup:
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

GillD46 wrote:
A very good review and I agree with Jo about Grills passengers eating in th Britannia. It can definitely be done. The other thing I would say is regarding the prices.

A couple of years ago, we booked the Black Sea on Queen Victoria, in a Q5 (second cheapest cabin/ suite in the Queen's Grill, one of those with a wrap around balcony at the stern) Aurora was doing exactly the same itinerary just a few days later or earlier, I can't remember which now. Aurora's cruise entry level suite was over £1,000 pp more expensive than the Queen Victoria Q5, with Aurora having just the main dining room. The food in the Grills is very differnet if selected from the A la carte menu, or ordered off menu, so P&O was VERY much more expensive for a LOT less.
Gill, will you not tell everyone that you can get decent deals with Cunard as it means less for us :lol:
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Ooops yes - I hadn't thought of that :lolno:
Gill

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Great review Mervyn thank you, I forgot you were staying in New Jersey and I was hoping for some more info about New York but you obviously only had time for a whistle stop tour.
We will have to find time for a QM2 Eastbound cruise with a 5/7 night stay in the Big Apple as like you we have never visited the city before apart from in transit flights with a couple of hours (at most) in the airport.

We too would book steerage as we find this level of cruising suits us best, we never spend more time than we have to in the cabin anyway and to us it is just a bed, wardrobe and shower.

Return to “Cunard”