Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
zumbaqueen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Cruise port of call for Athens

Post by zumbaqueen »

Hi all

Can anyone help me. One of our ports of call on Azura in early September is Piraeus (Athens). It has been a few years since I've been there and have done a tour of Athens and also the Corinth Canal. We've thinking of doing Athens on our own. Can anyone tell me whether there is a shuttle service into Athens or will we need to consider other ways of getting into the city or book the P & O tour that just drops you off in the city to explore on your own?

Any advice would be helpful.

:thumbup:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruise port of call for Athens

Post by Dancing Queen »

There will be an abundance of taxi's outside the port gates offering tours for around 30 euro's pp, the further you walk on the cheaper it becomes, we took the HoHo bus which I think started off at about 22 euros, we bartered and got it for 15 euros.

As you come out of the port turn left it is only a short walk past the taxi's to where the HoHo buses are, if you do choose to do this just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back as traffic can be very heavy at times.

Prices quoted are of about 3 years ago so they might not be correct now.
Jo

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

There's always the choo-choo:

http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-e ... train.html
Cheap and cheerful :)

Edit: what's wrong with Apple? Never heard of a choo-choo?
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 10 Jun 2016, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

zumbaqueen wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone help me. One of our ports of call on Azura in early September is Piraeus (Athens). It has been a few years since I've been there and have done a tour of Athens and also the Corinth Canal. We've thinking of doing Athens on our own. Can anyone tell me whether there is a shuttle service into Athens or will we need to consider other ways of getting into the city or book the P & O tour that just drops you off in the city to explore on your own?

Any advice would be helpful.

:thumbup:
we were last there a few years ago ( 2011 I think). There was no shuttle bus. We had to book the 'Athens on your own' tour. we were dropped off a couple of hundred yards from the New Acropolis Museum
Meg
x

Topic author
zumbaqueen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by zumbaqueen »

Thanks for the replies and useful information. It's over 10 years since I last visited on a cruise and thought I remembered that it was quite a way from the port into the centre of Athens.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Just returned off Ventura and Piraeus was one of our stops. so,

There are no Shuttle buses. But,

Just outside the port terminal there are many taxis’ offering round trips to Athens and of course the Acropolis, There are HOHO buses that take you from the port to Athens, you can get a ticket for the 2 lines (red and green) on the HOHO buses. So you can get on the bus at the port and take it to the acropolis directly, you can then also take the other line (they cross at that stop) and take a tour round Athens as well the cost is €25 for the 2 routes for the day, but can be bought cheaper online in advance, I think €22 (2016)

There is also a land train for a trip around Piraeus.

There is an Express Bus which runs from outside the Port Terminals straight into Athens. It drops you off for the Acropolis and the Plaka in Syntagma Square. It’s about a 20-25 minute ride and costs just 4 euro for an all-day bus ticket.

From Terminal A (which has a ring road outside) walk to the right and the bus stop is near Irish Pub.
• From Terminal B walk left for the Bus stop. The Bus is Number X80
• Check on the return times before getting off.

Alternatively once you come out of the port terminal building there are the yellow taxis outside the port entrance. Do not accept the first price, walk away, and the drivers will drop their price, try for around €50. Once agreed they will wait for you at the Acropolis then bring you back to port. No payment is made until you get back.
Regards

Peter

Topic author
zumbaqueen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by zumbaqueen »

Thank you Peter for this information I am very grateful it will help me plan our visit in advance. The information you have given is so comprehensive.

I am looking forward to doing Athens and the Greek Islands again especially as there are some I've not visited before. I hope you both enjoyed your recent cruise on Ventura.

Many thanks
Jenny

Return to “Europe”