Current Affairs

Chat about anything here
User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

Ray Scully wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:36
oldbluefox wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:23
If I had a 4 year old child and my wife and I started showing signs of Covid 19 I would have probably done the same to ensure my child was safe. Just saying.
As for lockdown, what I have seen it's a joke anyway. It bears no resemblance to that imposed on other countries.
Not a joke for some OBF, particularly when a close friend has passed. :-(
I have a very close friend whose brother died of cancer, no doubt about that, albeit the death certificate states the cause as being due to COVID19, as you correctly say none of this is a joking matter ... and I doubt OBF was being flippant.
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7607
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox »

Just to clarify:
"JOKE :SINGULAR NOUN
If you say that something or someone is a joke, you think they are ridiculous and do not deserve respect.
[informal, disapproval]
It's ridiculous, it's pathetic, it's a joke.
The police investigation was a joke. A total cover-up.
Synonyms: nonsense, parody, sham"
(Collins Dictionary)

No, I wasn't being flippant at all.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3456
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:36

I am very pleased that you posted a response, so much better than firing a bullet and then retiring to the safety of the bunker like wot you did when we were all discussing Boris's leadership qualities. I will provide a post number if required.

I do agree with you that he disregarded the edict from above and that he is guilty of something ... but what is he actually guilty of ?

I would suggest, without evidence, that he was trying to protect his family. I would have done the same and sod the rules providing that I made every effort to avoid making contact with anybody along the way apart of course from the members of my family who had agreed to help me in my hour of need.
As you know, when I don’t agree with the group, people tend to get heated. Sometimes, I think ‘why bother’ and withdraw from the conversation. Thats not retiring to the bunker, that’s because I don’t want any more trouble.

What Cummings is ‘guilty’ of is blatantly disregarding government instructions that applied to everybody. He and his wife were symptomatic- the instructions were crystal clear - stay at home and self isolate. Not drive the length of the country to an out house on his parents property and have food dropped off the door. He’s got relatives in London, possibly friends, definitely colleagues, and online shopping. There was no need to make an unnecessary journey when he had symptoms

I know people who are mild and easy going and not interested in politics and they are fuming about this. It has pushed them over the edge. Everyone I has done their utmost to adhere to the rules. People have had to cope with looking after their kids when they are ill, fathers have missed the birth of their children, people have not been able to be with their loved ones when they died and haven’t been able to go to funerals. Yet Cummings completely flouts the rules as they apparently don’t apply to him.

Now, trust in the government is undermined. People are thinking like you, sod the rules, if Cummings can do it, I can do it too. By backing Cummings, the government has lost the moral authority to enforce any lockdown. That’s why this is so important.
Gill

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Well that was lovely, you can’t beat a good fry up on a Saturday. :thumbup:

First things first, nice to see Gill back firing on all “ten” cylinders ;) :) …. all we need now is for Sir Merv to make an appearance and we’ll be one big happy forum again. :thumbup:

Its always nice to have a balanced debate, so to further my stand point I think its worth considering the timing of when this alleged breach occurred, wasn’t it back in March that this took place?

He, or indeed his wife would have had to have been headless chickens not to realise they were pushing limits on self-isolating; that being said, we have moved on a pace since March especially with regard to child susceptibility to the virus, something I would suggest most parents of a child would be taking very seriously at the time. Putting myself in their position I would have done the same because at the point that they took their child up to Durham they wouldn’t have known how bad they were going to be affected by the virus, so taking they child into the arms of their loved ones seems to me to be what any responsible parent would have done....Oh' yes you would! :lol:
Last edited by Onelife on 23 May 2020, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1860
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Ray Scully »

Note to self
Don't get sucked in by this self serving entitled mob again, stick with the joke page BYE

User avatar

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 5633
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:09
Manoverboard wrote:
23 May 2020, 16:04
Gill W wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:51
Other people in high profile roles who flouted the rules weren't sacked - they did the decent thing and resigned. See Christine Calderwood and Neil Ferguson
The Guardian published ...

" Catherine Calderwood steps down after visiting second home twice despite advice to stay in "

The circumstances are totally different to that of the Cummings household and yet without any evidence whatsoever you are ready to hang him out to dry. Some would say that was victimisation, surely ?

plus ...

Neil Ferguson was guilty of travelling for a bit of nooky :o
Without evidence? He's not denying that he did it

The problem is, he took this action in complete disregard to the instructions that we were given, and that most people have done their utmost to adhere to, even in difficult circumstances.
Always remember 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the observance of fools", I prefer to be wise rather than a fool like Blackford.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7607
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox »

Ray Scully wrote:
23 May 2020, 19:33
Note to self
Don't get sucked in by this self serving entitled mob again, stick with the joke page BYE
You insinuated I was being flippant when a close friend of yours had passed away. I explained this was not the case and clarified it with the dictionary definition. I don't see what the problem is or understand this reaction.

User avatar

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 5633
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 »

Ray Scully wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:36
oldbluefox wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:23
If I had a 4 year old child and my wife and I started showing signs of Covid 19 I would have probably done the same to ensure my child was safe. Just saying.
As for lockdown, what I have seen it's a joke anyway. It bears no resemblance to that imposed on other countries.
Not a joke for some OBF, particularly when a close friend has passed. :-(
Cummings did isolate himself and his family, and it is extremely unlikely that his wife would have infected anyone other than him during the car journey to Durham. So the only question is, should he be hung for a very minor infringement, opposition politicians will bay for his blood, but not for the right reasons.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 571
Joined: December 2014

Re: Current Affairs

Post by anniec »

Story breaking now that Cummings made a second trip to Durham, after he'd recovered.
Is that all right too?

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7607
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox »

anniec wrote:
23 May 2020, 20:48
Story breaking now that Cummings made a second trip to Durham, after he'd recovered.
Is that all right too?
I presume this is your source. The Guardian?
Sounds a bit far fetched but could be true and if so, no it's not.


screwy
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1193
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy »

The Guardian and the Mirror,Hmm,not exactly Tory loving papers. Apparently..someone said, no photo evidence, hearsay..

If true on the other hand,he is a fool and should go.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1860
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Ray Scully »

Sorry couldn't resist :thumbup: :)
100049036_10157114788683199_1085803732844675072_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Get your facts right Ray :sarcasm: ....It was actually a 520 there and back :lol:


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1860
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Ray Scully »

Onelife wrote:
23 May 2020, 21:18
Get your facts right Ray :sarcasm: ....It was actually a 520 there and back :lol:
So for the two trips that was ???? 1040 to my reckoning will check that with Priti :sarcasm: :)

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

anniec wrote:
23 May 2020, 20:48
Story breaking now that Cummings made a second trip to Durham, after he'd recovered.
Is that all right too?
No it wouldn't be right, but l think he will be far more instrumental in getting our country back on track than you or me so after a good spanking l think we should move on ......Our country comes first, we can do the inquests latter.......that's not to say we can't do a bit of policy bashing in between :o

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Ray Scully wrote:
23 May 2020, 21:23
Onelife wrote:
23 May 2020, 21:18
Get your facts right Ray :sarcasm: ....It was actually a 520 there and back :lol:
So for the two trips that was ???? 1040 to my reckoning will check that with Priti :sarcasm: :)
Innocent until proven guilty still makes it ??? but l'll check it out with AA route planner to be sure ;)

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1599
Joined: June 2014

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Happydays »

Gill W wrote:
23 May 2020, 18:51
Manoverboard wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:36

I am very pleased that you posted a response, so much better than firing a bullet and then retiring to the safety of the bunker like wot you did when we were all discussing Boris's leadership qualities. I will provide a post number if required.

I do agree with you that he disregarded the edict from above and that he is guilty of something ... but what is he actually guilty of ?

I would suggest, without evidence, that he was trying to protect his family. I would have done the same and sod the rules providing that I made every effort to avoid making contact with anybody along the way apart of course from the members of my family who had agreed to help me in my hour of need.
As you know, when I don’t agree with the group, people tend to get heated. Sometimes, I think ‘why bother’ and withdraw from the conversation. Thats not retiring to the bunker, that’s because I don’t want any more trouble.

What Cummings is ‘guilty’ of is blatantly disregarding government instructions that applied to everybody. He and his wife were symptomatic- the instructions were crystal clear - stay at home and self isolate. Not drive the length of the country to an out house on his parents property and have food dropped off the door. He’s got relatives in London, possibly friends, definitely colleagues, and online shopping. There was no need to make an unnecessary journey when he had symptoms

I know people who are mild and easy going and not interested in politics and they are fuming about this. It has pushed them over the edge. Everyone I has done their utmost to adhere to the rules. People have had to cope with looking after their kids when they are ill, fathers have missed the birth of their children, people have not been able to be with their loved ones when they died and haven’t been able to go to funerals. Yet Cummings completely flouts the rules as they apparently don’t apply to him.

Now, trust in the government is undermined. People are thinking like you, sod the rules, if Cummings can do it, I can do it too. By backing Cummings, the government has lost the moral authority to enforce any lockdown. That’s why this is so important.
As you know I don't always agree with what you say but in this instance I agree with you completely. He definitely should be sacked there are many of us who have been following the rules/guide lines and this is like a kick in teeth!


Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3689
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Onelife wrote:
23 May 2020, 21:36
anniec wrote:
23 May 2020, 20:48
Story breaking now that Cummings made a second trip to Durham, after he'd recovered.
Is that all right too?
No it wouldn't be right, but l think he will be far more instrumental in getting our country back on track than you or me so after a good spanking l think we should move on ......Our country comes first, we can do the inquests latter.......that's not to say we can't do a bit of policy bashing in between :o
If you think Cummings is the answer to getting this country on track then you’re very much mistaken. He was responsible for the initial ‘herd immunity’ approach before his u-turn and we went into lockdown three weeks behind our neighbours.

He is treating the UK as one of his experiments and we are the guinea pigs.

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
23 May 2020, 22:55
Onelife wrote:
23 May 2020, 21:36
anniec wrote:
23 May 2020, 20:48
Story breaking now that Cummings made a second trip to Durham, after he'd recovered.
Is that all right too?
No it wouldn't be right, but l think he will be far more instrumental in getting our country back on track than you or me so after a good spanking l think we should move on ......Our country comes first, we can do the inquests latter.......that's not to say we can't do a bit of policy bashing in between :o
If you think Cummings is the answer to getting this country on track then you’re very much mistaken. He was responsible for the initial ‘herd immunity’ approach before his u-turn and we went into lockdown three weeks behind our neighbours.

He is treating the UK as one of his experiments and we are the guinea pigs.
Hi Qb,

I'm sure you are right in that he probably had some imput into the herd immunity experiment...you are definitely right in that it put us two week+ behind in lockdown measures . The problem with most intellectual thinkers is that they see the solutions before they see the cost. I'm not sure at which point he will become surplus to requirements but presently l'm happy to see him still on board.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
23 May 2020, 18:51
As you know, when I don’t agree with the group, people tend to get heated. Sometimes, I think ‘why bother’ and withdraw from the conversation. Thats not retiring to the bunker, that’s because I don’t want any more trouble.

What Cummings is ‘guilty’ of is blatantly disregarding government instructions that applied to everybody. He and his wife were symptomatic- the instructions were crystal clear - stay at home and self isolate. Not drive the length of the country to an out house on his parents property and have food dropped off the door. He’s got relatives in London, possibly friends, definitely colleagues, and online shopping. There was no need to make an unnecessary journey when he had symptoms

I know people who are mild and easy going and not interested in politics and they are fuming about this. It has pushed them over the edge. Everyone I has done their utmost to adhere to the rules. People have had to cope with looking after their kids when they are ill, fathers have missed the birth of their children, people have not been able to be with their loved ones when they died and haven’t been able to go to funerals. Yet Cummings completely flouts the rules as they apparently don’t apply to him.

Now, trust in the government is undermined. People are thinking like you, sod the rules, if Cummings can do it, I can do it too. By backing Cummings, the government has lost the moral authority to enforce any lockdown. That’s why this is so important.
I believe that if anybody posts anything at all then one should expect and indeed welcome a response. I certainly do. The heated responses are ok by me providing that we all remember to attack the post NOT the poster. Your debating points above are there to reinforce your view, they add nothing to the ‘ facts ‘ of the matter as far as I am concerned.

I have no idea, nor I suspect have you, if any of the people you mention in London are suitable choices to care for a four year old child who may or may not have symptoms of the virus. Mobietta and I haven’t been out of the village these past two months but if we had a child of that age who needed to be in a better place at that moment then one of us would drive him to somebody who wanted to take care of him/her and was experienced enough to do so. In all honesty it beggars belief that you can seriously suggest that a child should be dumped on a colleague simply because it would be within the guidelines of containment.

The guidelines were broken, agreed, but it is not a matter for the courts because the law hasn’t been broken. It is perhaps more akin to the Rules of this Forum, if so it follows that any violation would be punished in accordance with that rule without taking into consideration any mitigating circumstances ... that cannot be right, can it ?
.
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6458
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 »

I don't suppose that any of us know what we would have done in the same circumstances at that point in time, but we also have to bear in mind that there were/are many families in the same, or in some cases worse, situation and have dealt with it - although I suspect that there will be some that have done the same.

I do, however, think that his attitude towards all of this leaves a lot to be desired - basically he is sticking two fingers up and saying I will do as I want. A little bit of contrition would go a long way.

User avatar

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 5633
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
24 May 2020, 08:53
I don't suppose that any of us know what we would have done in the same circumstances at that point in time, but we also have to bear in mind that there were/are many families in the same, or in some cases worse, situation and have dealt with it - although I suspect that there will be some that have done the same.

I do, however, think that his attitude towards all of this leaves a lot to be desired - basically he is sticking two fingers up and saying I will do as I want. A little bit of contrition would go a long way.
In his situation, especially if he had just watched Ian Blackford ranting and raving, I think many of us would have felt and said similar things.
He may not be someone we would seek as a friend, but if Boris values his ideas then I certainly don't want to see him sacked for something that, even his worst enemy must admit, probably did nothing to spread the disease into the wider community, and any sensible person should think the same.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 11066
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:44
I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

I like what I'm hearing Keith.

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:57
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:44
I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

I like what I'm hearing Keith.
Ok ...you can get out of you're box :lol: re: my last PM post. P.s...If you know where Mob lives put him in it :thumbup: :D
Last edited by Onelife on 24 May 2020, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 5633
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:57
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:44
I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

I like what I'm hearing Keith.
Yes indeed, the old Keefy is back on track.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 11066
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:
24 May 2020, 10:07
Stephen wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:57
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:44
I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

I like what I'm hearing Keith.
Yes indeed, the old Keefy is back on track.


Can we keep him there until the 10.30 comes along :)


screwy
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1193
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy »

Why do News stations ie, BBC/Sky have Newspaper reviews held by other journalists who back each other up . Why not invite members of the public.We all know Journalists can and do ‘tweak’ the facts to make a story,depending on the political side of the fence the paper represents.This morning it’s reported the latest Cummins saga reports ‘ he was seen walking in bluebells.’ 🤬🤬 Where is the evidence.?No pictures.? Just political bias.The only thing to believe in the press is the date on the front.The Mirror would alter that if it suited their needs. Anyway, like Sir Merv I am leaving this discussion till sanity returns. Bye bye.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7607
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox »

I wouldn't for one minute believe what a newspaper says, including The Guardian. For example the old chemistry teacher claims he saw Cummings walking by the Tees and recognised him. He then looked up his number plate on Google which identified him. Would I or you recognise him if out on a walk? Would you track him back to his car for the registration number? If you Google that number would it tell you who the owner of the car was? I've just Googled my own registration and it does not detail who the owner is. His father's house is not visible from the road so who is this 'neighbour' who saw Cummings with his father at the house? Why has this story taken six weeks to come out?
In the article there are so many imponderables but if we are to get to the truth of the matter of the visit to Barnard Castle would it not clear up the whole matter if Cummings surrendered his mobile phone which would show where he has been and where he has made calls from?
If the stories are true he should go but all this nonsense about people ignoring the lockdown because of Cummings is ridiculous. I know of dozens who have been breaking the lockdown in its purest sense bringing groceries to aged parents and going inside, ignoring the social distancing rules etc. I am as fed up with being shielded as the next man and have been on lockdown before Boris imposed it but to portray Cummings as the one who brings lockdown to its knees is nonsensical. I shall continue because it is in my own interests to do so.
I agree with David that a little bit of contrition would be helpful and I would hope that the truth of the matter will come out, one way or the other and then the appropriate action taken. As far as The Guardian is concerned I believe they have been very careful in their wording to avoid any chance of litigation being taken against them should the stories be unfounded.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3422
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney »

I find it impossible to defend the indefensible.

He should not of done what he did.

End of.

It was a total breach of both the current law and the current government guidelines.

He should resign and if he doesn’t, be sacked.

How does this sound?

I’m leader of Devon CC and I’m telling the public to stay home and not come to Devon.
My son in Kent calls and says that he and his wife have the virus.
Can we drive to Kent to stay in the annex in case they need help with our grandchildren.

Then the press find out.

I’d be out before my feet touched the ground.

He did wrong at every level and should go.
It should not even be up for debate


anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 571
Joined: December 2014

Re: Current Affairs

Post by anniec »

barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 11:23
I find it impossible to defend the indefensible.

He should not of done what he did.

End of.

It was a total breach of both the current law and the current government guidelines.

He should resign and if he doesn’t, be sacked.

How does this sound?

I’m leader of Devon CC and I’m telling the public to stay home and not come to Devon.
My son in Kent calls and says that he and his wife have the virus.
Can we drive to Kent to stay in the annex in case they need help with our grandchildren.

Then the press find out.

I’d be out before my feet touched the ground.

He did wrong at every level and should go.
It should not even be up for debate
Hear hear! And I (usually) vote Tory. Had this been Alastair Campbell, the nearest equivalent I can come up with, I doubt many would have given him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly wouldn't, and I won't to Cummings.

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote:
24 May 2020, 10:07
Stephen wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:57
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:44
I think we need to look at which will have the biggest impact on getting covid sorted....the sacking of one high profile strategist who apparently is one of the best... against....allowing the media and the political back stabbers the satisfaction of doing a bit of blood letting.

If proven...Yes' l agree, it doesn't set a good example but l can live with it because for all intents and purposes he is a great strategist and Government's stand or fall by the advice given by their strategists. This is neither the right time or the right reason to be destabilising the Government in its endeavours to get Covid sorted.

I do think a public apology is in order though, if only to acknowledge his flaunting of the rules, if indeed that is what he has done.

I like what I'm hearing Keith.
Yes indeed, the old Keefy is back on track.
It’s a fine balancing act John…. you never know what lies around the corner with me :)

…did you tune into Andrew Marr this morning? If not, I would, but not for the disgraceful way Marr conducted the interview with the Transport Minister, but for his interview with the AZ Chief Ex…who appeared to be very upbeat about the results coming out of the Oxford trials. I may not be 100% correct on this but it appears that whilst the monkeys didn’t fight off the virus which was still detectable in nose samples, the monkeys didn’t come down with the symptoms, therefore they are seeing it as a preventative treatment rather than a cure.

You should see a sharp rise in your shares come Monday

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
24 May 2020, 10:56
I wouldn't for one minute believe what a newspaper says, including The Guardian. For example the old chemistry teacher claims he saw Cummings walking by the Tees and recognised him. He then looked up his number plate on Google which identified him. Would I or you recognise him if out on a walk? Would you track him back to his car for the registration number? If you Google that number would it tell you who the owner of the car was? I've just Googled my own registration and it does not detail who the owner is. His father's house is not visible from the road so who is this 'neighbour' who saw Cummings with his father at the house? Why has this story taken six weeks to come out?
In the article there are so many imponderables but if we are to get to the truth of the matter of the visit to Barnard Castle would it not clear up the whole matter if Cummings surrendered his mobile phone which would show where he has been and where he has made calls from?
If the stories are true he should go but all this nonsense about people ignoring the lockdown because of Cummings is ridiculous. I know of dozens who have been breaking the lockdown in its purest sense bringing groceries to aged parents and going inside, ignoring the social distancing rules etc. I am as fed up with being shielded as the next man and have been on lockdown before Boris imposed it but to portray Cummings as the one who brings lockdown to its knees is nonsensical. I shall continue because it is in my own interests to do so.
I agree with David that a little bit of contrition would be helpful and I would hope that the truth of the matter will come out, one way or the other and then the appropriate action taken. As far as The Guardian is concerned I believe they have been very careful in their wording to avoid any chance of litigation being taken against them should the stories be unfounded.
The reason I think foxy, is that it is Labour party strategists doing what they are paid to do…stir up as much sh*t as they can to further the party cause.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:00
The reason I think foxy, is that it is Labour party strategists doing what they are paid to do…stir up as much sh*t as they can to further the party cause.
Perhaps it simply took that long to ' set up ' a false paper trail ?
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6458
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:43
Perhaps it simply took that long to ' set up ' a false paper trail ?
Which could be the case but for only one fact - he has not denied going

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:43
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:00
The reason I think foxy, is that it is Labour party strategists doing what they are paid to do…stir up as much sh*t as they can to further the party cause.
Perhaps it simply took that long to ' set up ' a false paper trail ?
And there was me thinking they write these stories on the back of cigarette packets :crazy:

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Breaking news.

Boris has been spotted breast feeding baby Wilfred while Carrie was out buying farly’s rusks.

Source. BBC news.

User avatar

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1960
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Kenmo1 »

I don't take much interest in politics normally but I have been following the Covid19 updates on TV and have tried to stick to the rules as best I can. What does interest me though is whether the media and people in general would be as hard on Rishi Sunak if he had done the same as Dominic Cummings.

Rishi Sunak = golden boy (for now), Dominic Cummings = slippery snake for now.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3422
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney »

Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 11:42
towny44 wrote:
24 May 2020, 10:07
Stephen wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:57



I like what I'm hearing Keith.
Yes indeed, the old Keefy is back on track.
It’s a fine balancing act John…. you never know what lies around the corner with me :)

…did you tune into Andrew Marr this morning? If not, I would, but not for the disgraceful way Marr conducted the interview with the Transport Minister, but for his interview with the AZ Chief Ex…who appeared to be very upbeat about the results coming out of the Oxford trials. I may not be 100% correct on this but it appears that whilst the monkeys didn’t fight off the virus which was still detectable in nose samples, the monkeys didn’t come down with the symptoms, therefore they are seeing it as a preventative treatment rather than a cure.

You should see a sharp rise in your shares come Monday
I watched Marr this morning and I'd say that the interview with Schapps was a total car crash for the government rep.
Even when presented with the police statement that contradicted him the day before, he still kept digging.
Rumour is that he's just been spotted somewhere off the coast of New Zealand.

Marr - the police said that spoke to his father
Schapps - Oh! that phone call ?

Marr - yesterday you said that neither Cummings or any of his family had spoken with the police.
Scapps - Oh! that was different. His father called the police to discuss security.
Marr- so they did talk to the police?
Scapps - well, kind of …… blah blah blah

I feel that the government have hung Grant Schapps out to dry publicly by not giving him all the information in advance.
The poor guy was totally humiliated on live TV.
He either A. didn't have the correct information or B. is a total liar.
I'd guess that it's A. in this case.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone can even attempt to defend the actions of Cummings.
He was wrong.
He should admit that he was wrong.
He should resign.

The credibility of this government depends of this.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:58
Manoverboard wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:43
Perhaps it simply took that long to ' set up ' a false paper trail ?
Which could be the case but for only one fact - he has not denied going
He hasn't indeed but has it been confirmed that all the ' detail ' is correct within said paper trail ?
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 13:03
Breaking news.

Boris has been spotted breast feeding baby Wilfred while Carrie was out buying farly’s rusks.

Source. BBC news.
Pictures please .... :sick:
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 13:36
... I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone can even attempt to defend the actions of Cummings.
He was wrong.
He should admit that he was wrong.
He should resign.

The credibility of this government depends of this.
I will certainly defend his actions, once again and just for you :wave:

Yes he was wrong BUT for valid reasons, imo ... he has not denied the ' offence ' ... BUT

What does the Country and its population actually gain from his resignation ?

The credibility of the Goverment is not as risk from a bunch of left wingers / news hounds / Social Media groups / strong minded individuals who don't like the look of his face etc. It will have blown over in a week or so and especially if No 10 stay tight lipped.
.
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6087
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 13:36
Onelife wrote:
24 May 2020, 11:42
towny44 wrote:
24 May 2020, 10:07

Yes indeed, the old Keefy is back on track.
It’s a fine balancing act John…. you never know what lies around the corner with me :)

…did you tune into Andrew Marr this morning? If not, I would, but not for the disgraceful way Marr conducted the interview with the Transport Minister, but for his interview with the AZ Chief Ex…who appeared to be very upbeat about the results coming out of the Oxford trials. I may not be 100% correct on this but it appears that whilst the monkeys didn’t fight off the virus which was still detectable in nose samples, the monkeys didn’t come down with the symptoms, therefore they are seeing it as a preventative treatment rather than a cure.

You should see a sharp rise in your shares come Monday
I watched Marr this morning and I'd say that the interview with Schapps was a total car crash for the government rep.
Even when presented with the police statement that contradicted him the day before, he still kept digging.
Rumour is that he's just been spotted somewhere off the coast of New Zealand.

Marr - the police said that spoke to his father
Schapps - Oh! that phone call ?

Marr - yesterday you said that neither Cummings or any of his family had spoken with the police.
Scapps - Oh! that was different. His father called the police to discuss security.
Marr- so they did talk to the police?
Scapps - well, kind of …… blah blah blah

I feel that the government have hung Grant Schapps out to dry publicly by not giving him all the information in advance.
The poor guy was totally humiliated on live TV.
He either A. didn't have the correct information or B. is a total liar.
I'd guess that it's A. in this case.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone can even attempt to defend the actions of Cummings.
He was wrong.
He should admit that he was wrong.
He should resign.

The credibility of this government depends of this.
You’ve missed the point Barney…Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) was there to talk about transport not have a bloody inquisition about Cummings whereabouts…Marr should be sacked for not asking one question about what most people really want to know about.

And while we're at it, he should also have been sacked when he was caught with his trousers down but the BBC said "you work for us; we can do a better job of gagging than you tried to do".

The hypocrisy of the BBC holds no bounds


Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3689
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
24 May 2020, 14:00
barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 13:36
... I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone can even attempt to defend the actions of Cummings.
He was wrong.
He should admit that he was wrong.
He should resign.

The credibility of this government depends of this.
I will certainly defend his actions, once again and just for you :wave:

Yes he was wrong BUT for valid reasons, imo ... he has not denied the ' offence ' ... BUT

What does the Country and its population actually gain from his resignation ?

The credibility of the Goverment is not as risk from a bunch of left wingers / news hounds / Social Media groups / strong minded individuals who don't like the look of his face etc. It will have blown over in a week or so and especially if No 10 stay tight lipped.
.
What does the country gain?

Apart from getting rid of an unelected dictator with damaging extremist views on how the country should be run and what our national policies should be.

The more relevant matter is that if you think it right and important that the British People should comply with a lockdown directive then there must be leadership and example set from the very top. Otherwise we could all find some justification for our individual actions.

Certainly anyone who has been given a fine for their breaches would be justified in asking for a reimbursement.

User avatar

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 5633
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
24 May 2020, 14:19
Manoverboard wrote:
24 May 2020, 14:00
barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 13:36
... I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone can even attempt to defend the actions of Cummings.
He was wrong.
He should admit that he was wrong.
He should resign.

The credibility of this government depends of this.
I will certainly defend his actions, once again and just for you :wave:

Yes he was wrong BUT for valid reasons, imo ... he has not denied the ' offence ' ... BUT

What does the Country and its population actually gain from his resignation ?

The credibility of the Goverment is not as risk from a bunch of left wingers / news hounds / Social Media groups / strong minded individuals who don't like the look of his face etc. It will have blown over in a week or so and especially if No 10 stay tight lipped.
.
What does the country gain?

Apart from getting rid of an unelected dictator with damaging extremist views on how the country should be run and what our national policies should be.

The more relevant matter is that if you think it right and important that the British People should comply with a lockdown directive then there must be leadership and example set from the very top. Otherwise we could all find some justification for our individual actions.

Certainly anyone who has been given a fine for their breaches would be justified in asking for a reimbursement.
He is employed by the elected govt of the UK, you will have the opportunity to influence this in 2024, any other way of getting rid of him is IMO far more illegal than anything he did.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
24 May 2020, 14:19
What does the country gain?
..... The more relevant matter is that if you think it right and important that the British People should comply with a lockdown directive then there must be leadership and example set from the very top. Otherwise we could all find some justification for our individual actions ....
The directive was certainly there to be complied with, albeit Mobietta and I self isolated several weeks before the directive was issued. I believe it is our own responsibility to take such precautions that are required as advised by the Government of the day in order to potentially save the lives of each other and of course others.

This Member of the leadership got it wrong so fine him just like anybody else but he didn't spread the virus ( as far as we know ) as a consequence of his actions and what he did was within the confines of his own family so if that is also correct it has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of us.

Any fair minded person would, I believe, understand that and many would have done the same as him. Should we seek them out and get them the sack as well ?
.
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3422
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney »

What part of “if you show symptoms, you must stay home “ is it so hard to understand?

If the guidelines said something different, I certainly haven’t seen them.

Irrespective of politics, he was wrong at every level.

I expect an influx of second home owners coming to Instow this week.

It’s ok to travel apparently?

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 8906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 14:45
What part of “if you show symptoms, you must stay home “ is it so hard to understand?

If the guidelines said something different, I certainly haven’t seen them.

Irrespective of politics, he was wrong at every level.

I expect an influx of second home owners coming to Instow this week.

It’s ok to travel apparently?
Mobietta and I must stay at home even though we do not have any symptoms. We will be staying put regardless of any directive so that hopefully we will continue to remain symptom free if only because our lives depend on it.

Like I said to QB ... Cummings did not ( as far as we know ) come into contact with anybody outside of his family circle so if this is correct it has nothing to do with anybody else and nobody else would have been infected by him. I have already agreed that he was wrong.

As for your influx of second home owners coming to Instow this week you cannot be seriously suggesting that any of them who are carrying the virus are doing so because of a journey to Durham by a Tory strategist ?
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3422
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney »

I don’t know if they will have the virus but can almost guarantee an influx.
Lockdown is effectively ended.

When THE senior government advisor disregards their own rules , all bets are off.

The more sensible older folk will continue to obey but millions of others won’t.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7607
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox »

barney wrote:
24 May 2020, 15:35
I don’t know if they will have the virus but can almost guarantee an influx.
Lockdown is effectively ended.

When THE senior government advisor disregards their own rules , all bets are off.

The more sensible older folk will continue to obey but millions of others won’t.
Lockdown for some ended long ago. You can't blame Cummings for this, or can you?

Return to “General Chat”