Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Happydays Azura A611

Post by Happydays »

My view of the above cruise.
I'll start at the beginning (good idea?) We flew down the day before and stayed at the Mercure Dolphin, we've stayed here before but this time we were in the main building and the bed was terrible it badly needed to be replaced! I hardly had any sleep (Dip in mattress) never mind only one night and I have survived. The next day we got a taxi to the Mayflower Terminal and luckily for us we had reached Caribbean level (Goldie after rule changes) on our last cruise in January. We were on board quick (ticket time would've been 3.30) We were on board by 12.45 and headed up to the buffet for lunch then afterwards went to our cabin to leave the hand luggage before going to the "Welcome on board " for a couple of free drinks. I'm glad we had something to eat before as the food choice looked poor! but the red wine was acceptable ha! ha!

We were on Freedom dinning which we've done before but this time people were queuing before 5.30 to go into dinner (then going early to the theater) we never did that, we went about 7pm and if there was still queues we went elsewhere. A couple of times we went to the buffet and found it much better in the evening no scrum! and the tables were "set". We also used the Beachhouse/Verona and the Glasshouse which were both very good, worth the small charge. During the day we tried the "Grab & Go" (seemed like a good) but only twice the first time it was cheese & pickle and salad baguette (dry), salads and the desserts were a yogurt based thing and fruit salad which didn't look appetizing more watermelon than anything else. We returned later on the cruise thinking it may have improved but sorry to say it hadn't but the was a beef & horseradish baguette to be had but we didn't bother. The deck grill has slipped down in quality (my opinion) as it's precooked and wrapped like a McDonald's (children may like it)not cooked to order as before. I used to like the individual pizzas and could ask for no onion but not any more it's slices, I was disappointed with that. We had our first Peninsular Club lunch on the 16th June it was very nice I had salmon,roast cannon of lamb and the meringue dessert with a couple of wines!

the first three days were sea days but the weather wasn't good, we had to mainly stay inside. Most of the ports were new for us, as we haven't been on a Canary Island cruise before. We were in Madeira last year and done a DIY to the cable car and gardens so this time we went on a P&O excursion taking in the Nuns Valley the scenery was lovely but there was a chill wind! The other trips we went on were to La Palma (I think)to see La Glorieta Square which has a mosaic in the center by Luis Morera a pupil of Cesar Manrique ti was beautiful. In Lanzarote we went on "Discover the North" which included going to the caves at Jameos de Aqua with the blind crabs! this trip was the best, the other ports we done DIY.

to be continued.....

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Happydays Azura A611

Post by qbman1 »

Good start - now we're gagging for more !!

Did you get to go into Cesar Manrique's house ? Really interesting - it's built into the volcanic rock and contains quite a bit of his artwork.

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

No we didn't have time to go to his house as well, the just the caves, monument to fishermen and building that he designed.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We were there for a week so had a bit more time to explore. Did get to see the little white crabs too !

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

When we were last on Azura in 2013, they started queuing really early for dinner as well. We did the same as you, if we didn't like the look of the queue, we went elsewhere.

They do the wrapped burgers and pizza slice thing now on Britannia. Like you, I much preferred when they made a pizza for you or cooked the burger for you.

On Britannia they had a lovely cheesecake pot in Grab & Go - I'd be disappointed if that one has gone for good

Will look forward to reading more
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks for reporting. Our experience of the lunch time grab & go is identical to yours. We won't bother again.

Looking forward to reading Part 2

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

Can't understand why complaining about grab and go, we only us it if going ashore and not back for lunch. Why would you use in normally when huge choice in buffet?

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

We always go Freedom dining, we use a bit of common sense and go to restaurant between 7-15 and 7-30 never more than4 people waiting and often straight in. Go to the 10-30pm show and less crowded. Cannot understand why people queue as soon as restaurant opens.

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”