Cruising etiquette

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruising etiquette

Post by Boris+ »

When we were on a long whole day excursion - unsuitable for people with mobility issues - this one couple turned up with a wheelchair, and the tourguide and driver went along with the situation, but this couple made such a blasted fuss at the first two stops and were extremely rude to staff and passengers alike.

This went on throughout the day and everyone was so fed up with this couple - but when we got back to the ship we boarded on A deck, (below deck 1), and whilst other people who were tired out waited for the lifts this couple had folded up the wheelchair and hoofed it up the stairway because 'they weren't going to be made late for the restaurant by waiting for a lift'!

Any guesses for the conversation in the lift then?

Em :)

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

HK phooey wrote:
If you are sitting at a shared table for dinner and a couple with children join you , don't ask why they atren't at school cos it's none of your business :x
Besides, they may be being home-schooled.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Shouldn't home-schooling take place at home? Surely people can't expect parents doing this form of education to bring all the necessary educational clutter with them? If home-schooling is the mode of education for some children onboad during term time, surely then shouldn't they be in their accommodation doing their studies?

Em :shh:

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

A cousin of mine who used to regularly take his kids out of school, was often heard extolling the educational value of travel ... Now his kids have grown up he happily admits the kids rarely left the pool or amusement arcade and the main reason was because the price was cheaper. Probably a more honest appraisal. :-)

DianaM
Cadet
Cadet

Post by DianaM »

Don't start "moany " conversations as small talk. A lady on our table on our last cruise spent ages going on about "how P&O have gone downhill, cutting corners etc etc", then asked us where we liked to cruise to. Well, I'm afraid my answer was, " anywhere as long as I dont have to listen to moans". Whoops, not very polite, but I'd had enough :evil:

Much better to start conversations with, "Did you go ashore today?", or "Are you enjoying this lovely ship?" I agree, no need to mention how many cruises you've been on, or how many times you've been on the ship, and certainly not how it compares with other lines! ;)
I soon stop responding to "moaners" and "comparers", and let them find someone else to bore :D

Happy cruising everyone :wave:

Diana

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

I usually, after introductions, ask if people have cruised before, not for any other reason than to find out who was new & who wasn't so we know the level.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

"level"???

Of what??

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

If you are sitting at a shared table for dinner and a couple with children join you , don't ask why they aren't at school cos it's none of your business :x

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

wolfie wrote:
"level"???

Of what??
Cruising experience, new people may need help & be interested in cruise stories, those who have been before may not ...

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

JOHNTHED0G wrote:
wolfie wrote:
"level"???

Of what??
Cruising experience, new people may need help & be interested in cruise stories, those who have been before may not ...
Have to say that I opt to assume that if they want help from me or to listen to my cruise stories they will ask, we tend to pitch conversations at the person to person ' level ' as would be the case in any situation where we need to aim to get to know somebody new a little better.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Redrosegirlie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Redrosegirlie »

If someone says to me 'have you cruised before' I switch off.

An old lady at afternoon tea last year delighted in telling us she had done 23 cruises. I kept my mouth shut and completely ignored what she said but I really wanted her to know that when I'm her age I hope to have cruised that much too ;)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Redrosegirlie wrote:
If someone says to me 'have you cruised before' I switch off ...
Me too because it is usually the prelude to the boring and tedious ' My Chicken is bigger than your Chicken ' type conversations ... and those we can well do without while we are on holiday.

Interestingly, or not, we hardly ever experience that line of chatter when we travel with any other English Speaking Nationals bar the Brits ... why is that ?

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Manoverboard wrote:
Redrosegirlie wrote:
If someone says to me 'have you cruised before' I switch off ...
Me too because it is usually the prelude to the boring and tedious ' My Chicken is bigger than your Chicken ' type conversations ... and those we can well do without while we are on holiday.

Interestingly, or not, we hardly ever experience that line of chatter when we travel with any other English Speaking Nationals bar the Brits ... why is that ?
No, it doesn't lead to anything boring in my experience, it is just an ice breaker, but then if people can't tell the difference between a simple question & someone bragging .....
Served me well on many tables on a few ships & never had a table full of ''switched off'' sullen people staring at their plates, the tables I am on are jolly & lively without being loud.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

With this type of question I think that there is a lot to be gleaned from how the question is asked, the expression when asking and the person's body language. All of these can make the difference between a casual "ice breaker" question and a "I'm an expert and know everything" type of question.

If I am asked that question on a first meeting the answer is probably something along the lines of not being sure, or don't keep count

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

david63 wrote:
With this type of question I think that there is a lot to be gleaned from how the question is asked, the expression when asking and the person's body language. All of these can make the difference between a casual "ice breaker" question and a "I'm an expert and know everything" type of question.

If I am asked that question on a first meeting the answer is probably something along the lines of not being sure, or don't keep count
The question I usually ask is "Has anyone cruised before?" NOT ''how many cruises have you done'' I suppose when asked ''have you cruised before'' & the answer is "I am not sure" that may provoke a conversation...

Redrosegirlie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Redrosegirlie »

You can usually tell if it is asked in a genuine manner or one of cruise snobbery.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Redrosegirlie wrote:
You can usually tell if it is asked in a genuine manner or one of cruise snobbery.
Yes, I agree with that comment as well ;)

It is not a question that we would normally ask, there are after all a zillion other ice breaking cruise related questions to ask ... so why pick on that one unless you aim to impress ?

It is a subject that will crop up of course but tis best done imo after everybody has a better idea of how their table mates tick.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

''How many have you done? we have done XX'' is a question that COULD be taken that way but a simple "anyone cruised before?" is hardly trying to impress. People seem preoccupied with "snobbery'' on these forums, especially over cabins. On cruises this stuff has never cropped up, I have shared tables with very experienced cruisers who tell fascinating tales of their experiences, new cruisers who love to ask questions of those more experience.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

That is another question which we've never had "crop up" at the dinner table ( or anywhere come to that ) ... what sort of cabin do you have ?? you just don't ask - do you.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I prefer to cut to the chase and go straight in "Our suite is a tad on the small side. What sort of cabin are you in?" (I wish!!) :lol:

Icebreakers are always going to be fraught with difficulty as they could so easily be misconstrued. Whatever you ask will have been asked before.

Delboy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Delboy »

I prefer to let others ask the questions, then I reply.

I do often find its the way some people put the questions , the tone of some people's voices, plus their general attitude, which shows they are obviously out, to try and impress.

Have never been asked what type of cabin I have.

I am normally more interested in what kind of day people have had, where they have been for the day, than listening to peoples past cruise experiences, ships & types of cabins they have had.etc

The number of cruises people have been on, don't impress me one iota, I am mainly interested in the present cruise and ship I am on, plus the itinerary.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I prefer a more general opener along the lines of "Do you think one legged black ex-SS islamic lesbians should be allowed into the priesthood"

Sealion
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Sealion »

Until about three years ago been so lucky with our table companions many of whom are still in touch.
Having good conversation over an excellent meal makes a cruise so much more enjoyable.
It all went pearshaped when an obnoxious couple bragged every evening about their suite, their 2 tv's, nightly canapes etc.
The female then turned her attention to a lady recently bereaved demanding to know when and how her husband had died, which naturally resulted in much upset and tears.
It transpired that the couple lived in Southampton and were getting last minute bargain deals. They had paid about half the cost of everyone else for a balcony and complained that they were not allowed any loyalty points because they always cruised with a couple of days notice.
Their behaviour was so awful we decided to dine in the alternative venues for the rest of the cruise.
It was such a shock to come across such an insensitive pair of snobs having experienced nothing but fun times before and I eye opener that such people exist.
I now worry about "the table" before the first night.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sealion - In my experience, and probably the vast majority of other members of this forum, that is the exception

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Sounds like they had a "Friends & Family" deal...you don't get loyalty points on those...or so I hear ;) ;)

Return to “New to Cruising”