R611 Canary Islands

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: R611 Canary Islands

Post by Raybosailor »

When we called into Funchal on Arcadia we shared a taxi with our table companions, Cheryl said to the couple let Ray negotiate the fare and they were amazed at the difference in price from the first quote to the final one as I walked up and down the line of taxi drivers all bartering for a fare.
Our driver was great and he took us everywhere, he gave us time at each tourist spot and even sat and had a drink with us near the platform on top of the cliff. He was very proud of his city and had an amazing knowledge of the history of Funchal, the highlight for me was a visit to Câmara de Lobos the pretty little fishing village where Winston Churchill used to sit and paint.

When he dropped us off at the terminal even I felt guilty at the fare he had agreed with me so the four of us agreed to give him a generous tip and he went away very happy, I can recommend taking a taxi tour of Funchal from the port.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Sounds like the chap we had (Carlos) Ray.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

great review
Nihil Obstat

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote:
Hope the entertainment improves for you barney. We only went to two shows, that was enough. The first was a four man singing thingy called Troubadour, a bit like the Overtones but a hundred times worse. The second was some old brass called Mandy Muden who was supposed to be a mind reader come magician come comedian. She was dire, she must have paid P&O to come on board :thumbdown:
They probably heard there was a tough crowd on board so they didn't bother too much with any decent acts !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

barney wrote:
We've done the bread basket three times now so will give it a miss next time.

Anyone ever done Nuns Valley? (no pun intended)

I seen a firm called Happy Tours who do a half day trip for only 15 euros

May give that a go if it still exists.

Can anyone recommend?
Is that a euphemism, Barney ?!

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hope the entertainment improves for you barney. We only went to two shows, that was enough. The first was a four man singing thingy called Troubadour, a bit like the Overtones but a hundred times worse. The second was some old brass called Mandy Muden who was supposed to be a mind reader come magician come comedian. She was dire, she must have paid P&O to come on board :thumbdown:
They probably heard there was a tough crowd on board so they didn't bother too much with any decent acts !
Best they bu99er of home to Oxford then where they're easily pleased. ;)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I haven't seen either of those but we always avoid do-called "mind readers" and "magicians" anyway !

You do seem to get a better class of talent on the Christmas cruises - maybe they make an extra effort ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Our lot weren't too bad in June, though having seen one comedian on the ship and then two the following week at the Warners old peoples' home hotel at Bembridge we did hear the same joke three times.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”