Little things

Topics relating to P&O

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Little things

Post by oldbluefox »

The champagne fountain was pretty spectacular but I wonder when was the last time we saw one
183 Champagne fountain6.JPG
This was on Oceana and once it was complete we all threw streamers from the upper tiers.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

I'm glad my memory isn't so good these days..so I won't realise how much has changed since our last cruise!!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I remember Alan Carr doing the champagne waterfall and waiters coming out at the end with umbrellas. That may have been the Oceana.

Happy days

Lindsey

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

kaymar wrote:
Onelife wrote:
kaymar wrote:
Well that's all put me off completely. We haven't cruised for five years but were going to the Med with Arcadia in two weeks time. We're not going to bother now.

Hi kaymar....As you haven't cruised for five years you will undoubtedly notice some of the changes/cutbacks but they will hardly impact on the enjoyment of your cruise

Go for it. :thumbup:

Regards

Keith

Well, OK then, onelife. We've been to the Pound shop and bought some custard creams and a packet of After Eights. That should do it and sod the extra expense. I'm also checking out prices for a brass band.[/quote

That's the way to go Kaymar...If the price of a brass band runs out a bit steep you might like to give Stephen a call cus I've heard he enjoys playing with his little whistle....oh' and keep them cheap custard creams tucked well away, you wouldn't want to be giving P&o any ideas.

:wave:

Right, I'm off to them yonder hills for a few days.

Have a good week all.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Right, I'm off to them yonder hills for a few days.

Have a good week all.[/quote]
nervous_sheep-_logo_1994-350x375.jpg

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Funny that picture should appear in a thread entitled "little things"! Just saying....

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Speak for yourself.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think 12 inches should be enough for anyone. It's a foot. And I'm proud to say I have two feet.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

And you've usually got both of them right in it

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Up to the neck!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Jean W wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with Sunseeker and OBF.

Slightly off topic. Colin, I am now in the same position as you. I cancelled the Cruises my darling Husband and I had booked, then some friends asked me about one of them. I thought long and hard and rebooked it. I have to pay the balance in a couple of weeks and, honestly, don't know whether I can go through with it just yet. The Cruise isn't until January and I might feel a lot different then, but, to loose the deposit is a lot less than losing the whole lot. What a decision?
Jean, good to see you back posting and I hope you do decide to go ahead with the cruise, is this the Ventura Caribbean like the one we did last year?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Agree with that Towny. Welcome back Jean. So sorry to hear your news, but in my view, and that of some single friends and others we've met aboard, cruising is a better, more welcoming type of holiday than many others for those in that position. I do hope you find the courage to go ahead. Of course you'll have sad memories but hopefully the camaraderie at sea will bring back the good ones too.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I remember Jean and her predicament. Hope things work out for you Jean :thumbup:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I don't have advice for you Jean, but I'm sure you'll do what feels right at the time. Wishing you lots of luck x
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We never watch a lot of telly on holiday but the choice of programmes/films has become decidedly naff over the past year or so. I must say, I do miss the Cruise Overview too. I think we have to accept, though, that the times they are a'changing and a lot of the little things we used to enjoy are going the way of "progress" !

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Jean W wrote:

Slightly off topic. Colin, I am now in the same position as you. I cancelled the Cruises my darling Husband and I had booked, then some friends asked me about one of them. I thought long and hard and rebooked it. I have to pay the balance in a couple of weeks and, honestly, don't know whether I can go through with it just yet. The Cruise isn't until January and I might feel a lot different then, but, to loose the deposit is a lot less than losing the whole lot. What a decision?
Hello Jean.

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you but just wanted to say how nice it was to see you posting.

Hopefully you'll find the right way forward for you.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Jean W wrote:

What a difficult decision, Jean. We have a cruising friend in the same situation and he has booked and cancelled two cruises in two years. Although I cannot really put myself in that situation, I think I would be inclined to book it and go for it as you clearly love cruising as much as I do. Only you can decide, though.

In any event, it is lovely to hear from you again and I hope you are managing OK.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Jean, go for it! I lost my wife 12 months ago and canvassed opinions on this forum which resulted in me taking a cruise last May. Although I was alone, I made many friends on board and have been encouraged to cruise again in November. I think that in our situation, this is the ideal way to holiday.
Best wishes.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

colin parry wrote:
Jean, go for it! I lost my wife 12 months ago and canvassed opinions on this forum which resulted in me taking a cruise last May. Although I was alone, I made many friends on board and have been encouraged to cruise again in November. I think that in our situation, this is the ideal way to holiday.
Best wishes.
Only you can decide what to do Jean but I have been widowed for almost ten years and when dear Colin lost his wife I was one of those who encouraged him to just try a cruise and if he didn't like it well he didn't have to go again. From my own experience it is by far the safest way to travel for a woman on her own and honestly Jean people are so friendly and welcoming. I admit the first few cruises without my husband were very difficult but I did enjoy myself and met some lovely people and thanks to this forum have met some very special people who I cruise with regularly now.

Take care Jean xxx
Janis

Mundiz
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mundiz »

The last time I cruised with P&O was in 2007 so I would miss the Brass Band sendoffs :cry:
Always remember you're unique, like everyone else.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welcome to the forum, Mundiz! :wave:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Mundiz wrote:
The last time I cruised with P&O was in 2007 so I would miss the Brass Band sendoffs :cry:
The daft thing is it costs less than £200 to hire a brass band for a full evening. So how much for half an hour on a quayside?

And with 2000 passengers on a mid size ship that's 10p a passenger! A lot of the other small cuts, like shabby biscuits, only save pennies too. In the context of a typical cruise fare it's peanuts. So why do it? Would we really notice if they put fares up by £5 each and gave us the band, biscuits and after dinner chocolates back?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

But that would probably end up as £5 each plus £50 pp admin fee !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You're right. You bring the band, I'll bring the biscuits.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'll look after the funds

Return to “P&O”