Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Help Please - Balcony Cabins

Post by Snoozen82 »

Hi

I'm a little confused over the balcony cabins on both Britannia and Azura (i've only ever stayed in a balcony on the Ventura and that was pre-kids!)

As we will have a 4 year old travelling with us, where will they sleep? I've noticed on the P&O site there are options of balconies with Sofas and without - so if there is no sofabed, where do they sleep? Im not overly keen on him being in an upper pullman, but even so, where is the upper pullman?? I know where they are in the inside cabins but can't picture it in balcony cabins.

Also, obstructed view, what does that actually mean?

Sorry for all the questions, but If im going to be paying the extra for a balcony I want one that I can actually sit out on and enjoy some sun :D

And finally, which ship is better suited for a 4 year old in terms of kids clubs & facilities.....

Thanks

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Help Please - Balcony Cabins

Post by Manoverboard »

On Azura the SDL variety have a sofa bed that will convert into a bed.

Obstructed view means that there is, partially or full view, a lifeboat / tender in your line of vision when staring out towards the sea.

Sorry but I have no experience of the Pullman beds nor the kid's clubs :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

vivian
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by vivian »

Hi on Azura we had a D deck cabin with upper pullman births during the day are stored out of site and look like rather large ceiling panels.
BUT can only be used when the lower berths are in single bed config.
hope this helps.

Have a great cruise.

Huw.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

For accurate information, especially about the location of 3 or 4 bed cabins, you will need to ring either P&O customer services or a good TA.

In general on Azura/Ventura standard balcony cabins only have ceiling mounted pullman bunks for 3nd or 4th passengers, and these can only be used with the lower beds in the single configuration. De Luxe balcony cabins do have a sofa bed in the lounge area and the main beds can be made up as a double or singles, but the D deck cabins all have totally uncovered balconies, only the few on E deck are covered.

On Britannia a similar arrangement operates but they do have a 3rd category of cabin, slightly bigger than the standard and with a small sofa, but I have no idea if any take 3 or 4 persons and what these beds would be like. However all balconies on Britannia, except for those facing aft, have tiny balconies compared with the other 2 ships. I think that most of the obstructed balcony cabins are the basic standard ones, from reviews the obstruction can mask your view when seated, but since the balconies are really only big enough to stand on that hardly matters.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Thank you all for your replies!

Im having difficulty trying to get any balcony cabins at all along the side of the ship through my agent. And this is on Azura, Ventura and Britannia!

I can't really beleive that for 2018 on a bog standard med cruise that all C & D deck cabins would be sold out already?? Do they release more as time goes on??

The only 2 cabins we have been offered are D734 & D735 on Ventura/Azura and E734 & E735 on Britannia. All of which are at the Stern of the ship.... :?

I don't overly mind this cabin location however never having stayed in a stern cabin before am a bit dubious about vibrations, noise and smell........ Any advice???

I would however much prefer a cabin at the side - Im just miffed not a single one is available so far in advance. (i want the larger balcony - not bothered about it being uncovered)

Susan.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've never had a problem with the uncovered balconies. Just love the extra space in those D deck cabins. They don't hold back cabins for later sale so it must just be the cruise you want is popular. You say it's a bog standard Med cruise but is it school holidays? They do sell out more quickly, especially cabins with extra berths.

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

No, none of them are during the school holidays. It's 4 cruises i've checked and not a sigle one is available. I originally wanted C deck Ventura/Azura however soon realised this wouldn't be possible as none of those have an extra bed for the child. D deck do have the upper pullmans, so asked about those only to be told all thats left is D734 & D735 on both Azura and Ventura inApril, May and June 2018..... These are on the stern and like I say, Im just a bot worried about vibration and smell. And ideally, I wanted the balconies together.....

You say they don't hold back, but 3 years ago we booked a cruise on Ventura, B deck balconies as thats all they were telling us was left. A few months later I checked the prices (i know you shouldn't, but hey!) and was suprised to see all the C deck balconies were available. So I asked my TA to swap us (as they were the same grade) and they did.......

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Try another agent? Some are better, and go to more trouble, than others.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think you need to talk to P&O rather than an agent. I've just did a test booking on line for a 2018 July Azura Med cruise, actually in school holiday time, for 2 imaginary adults and a mythical 4 year old child and was offered a choice of a number of midships D Deck cabins.

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Thanks.... Think i will try another agent.

I too have done some test bookings on the p&o site and for those particular cruises (i really want N814) its not coming up with anything other than those 2 stern ones. The others available on D deck are out of our price range in a much higher grade. Nothing on C at all.....

Maybe it is just a popular cruise :(

So, any advice from anyone who's stayed in stern cabins....? Do they vibrate a lot? Smell?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Not on those particular ships Snoozen82 but we've had a stern cabin on Arcadia three times and loved it.

A bit of vibration when docking but nothing to put you off and as for smelly, that was probably me.
Sorry. :lol:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Ha ha, thanks Barney! I knew it wouldn't be long before someone commented on the smell :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Snoozen82 wrote:
I too have done some test bookings on the p&o site and for those particular cruises (i really want N814) its not coming up with anything other than those 2 stern ones. The others available on D deck are out of our price range in a much higher grade. Nothing on C at all.....
Now I see the problem. You're looking at the second from bottom grade balcony cabin. There are only the two you've been offered on D Deck, the rest being the higher grade Super Deluxe Balconies. There are only 34 on C Deck which is the most popular deck for balcony cabins because of their large balconies. If you go up a grade or two you can get midships balconies, but not on C Deck. What you're looking at is not a specially popular cruise but hugely popular cabins. You'll either have to grab the two stern ones on D Deck or compromise on balcony space and go up a grade or two and to B Deck. What's more important to you? Side of the ship or balcony size?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I am amazed that any of the stern cabins are available .... we love them and book them wherever possible. As for Azura the nearest to the back we have done was D715 ( SDL ).
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

I guess size of balcony is more important - I actually cannot beleive how small the balconies are on Britannia (and so have now ruled her out)

Whats the weather usually like mid June around the med?? I notice a couple others on this thread have already booked C deck cabins on this cruise (N814) Im not a fan of too much movement, which is why I'm ruling out the canaries cruises (we did one once in August and it was pretty rough even though the weather was glorious! :? )

Decisions, Decisions..........

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

D732 on Azura..as far aft as you can go...without actually being on the very back.
It has a bigger, but overlooked balcony.
Not sure what grade it is without looking.
image.jpg
It's not marked on plans as being bigger, but my TA knew about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I reckon that's a Superior Deluxe Balcony. I think all the side ones on D Deck are

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I reckon that's a Superior Deluxe Balcony. I think all the side ones on D Deck are
Ohhh it is...I meant not sure what D grade it is...

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

ooooooo that looks fab! But out of our price range unfortunately :(

So, we have taken the plunge and taken the 2 cabins at the stern on Ventura. N814 here we come................... it's going to be a long wait! But at least we have our Aurora xmas cruise to look forward to this year in the meantime!

Return to “About Britannia”