Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Caribbean advice please

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Okay next question. We're going mid January and after a call at La Coruna have 8 days at sea heading across the Atlantic. How far into that 8 days are we likely to go from long sleeve to short sleeve temperatures outside?
That is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions.

I know that this is not quite the same time of year but last year we did a transatlantic Christmas cruise leaving mid December and we were a week out of Soton before the weather "picked up" - but we were on the tail end of a hurricane.

In my experience "short sleeves" don't come out until at least the Canaries/Azores - but you are best using the officers as a guide - once they go into "whites" the weather is improving.
I generally only ever wear short sleeves during the day on a cruise whatever time of year, because the aircon generally keeps the indoor areas at summer levels , but I do carry a lightweight sweater just in case, which might be needed if the aircon is not keeping pace with deck doors being opened.
As to when the weather will allow you to venture onto the open decks and maybe to sunbathe, that should be around day 3 after La Coruna, or day 1 if you stick to the covered pool area on Ventura.
I am beginning to be a bit jealous Merv, it seems a long time since January when we did this cruise, and even longer until February 2018 when we do the Caribbean and USA, also on Ventura.

PS Where is your cabin Merv, if it is forward anywhere near C Deck, be warned Ventura creaks like mad in any sort of rough sea or above a moderate swell.
Last edited by towny44 on 08 Dec 2016, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

The A Coruna area can be quite pleasant at that time of year but being on the Iberian West Peninsular it can get quite windy, as you should be taking a Westerly course for the Caribbean you will probably be heading into the winds from the Azores which can be about 40 knots. It should warm up a day or two after leaving La Coruna but as others have said be prepared.
Enjoy your cruise you two.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We were on the same trip as the Smurfmeister last year and we were almost at Barbados before the shorts came out ! That was unusual, though and in the past it's been in the low 20's from Madeira onwards

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Raybosailor wrote:
The A Coruna area can be quite pleasant at that time of year but being on the Iberian West Peninsular it can get quite windy, as you should be taking a Westerly course for the Caribbean you will probably be heading into the winds from the Azores which can be about 40 knots. It should warm up a day or two after leaving La Coruna but as others have said be prepared.
Bloody freezing last time we were in La Coruna - hope it's warmer this time

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote:
PS Where is your cabin Merv, if it is forward anywhere near C Deck, be warned Ventura creaks like mad in any sort of rough sea or above a moderate swell.
We're mid-ships on D Deck. And have earplugs. :thumbup:

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

qbman1 wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
bl**dy freezing last time we were in La Coruna - hope it's warmer this time
It will be warm in La Coruna when Ray of Sunshine arrives in two weeks Cubie.
Mind you I will be heading for a certain ferreteria (hardware store) as my cousin bought a good quality paella pan from there and we have got to have one, hope we get through security with it.

Return to “The Americas”