Aurora Christmas Markets Hamburg December 8th

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora Christmas Markets Hamburg December 8th

Post by CaroleF »

Taking advantage of the 24 hour internet package. In a very cold, gloomy and foggy Hamburg. We left Southampton on Tuesday, very smooth crossing. Aurora is now in the process of being decorated for Christmas and lovely she looks. Lots of trees with silver and gold decorations and white lights. This is the first time we've been on Aurora since her re-fit and she is looking great.
We had a 12.30 check in and that all went very well. I was apprehensive as I am using a scooter for the first time. Well I managed to get aboard without running anyone over. When we got on board we were told to go to the Alexandria restaurant for the complementary lunch. We thought it was very good - yes it's canapes but plenty of them and a good variety - loved the hot mini Cornish Pasties and in particular the hot king prawns with panko crust. There were lots of waiters bringing round drinks and some going round with bottles refilling glasses. The Caribbean passengers were told there cabins were ready just before 1pm and the rest of the passengers I think sometime before 2pm. Found it very tricky going into a lift on a scooter. You either go in frontwards and then have to back out or you have to turn round and go in backwards putting anyone already in the lift in a dangerous position! Luckily I had John there to protect the other passengers.

We've been very impressed with the level of service so far this cruise. We went to Raffles so I could get a decent coffee, it was a sea day and so it was packed, also with people not drinking coffee or anything for that matter which is a bit annoying when you want to sit and have a coffee. Anyway we eventually managed to get a sea and were promptly served. While we were waiting for the coffee three other waiters came up and asked if we were being served.

Dinner has been good. The new menu is in evidence with some dishes we've not seen before. The first night though I fell back on Sirloin steak as I really enjoy it. I usually ask for a medium rare steak in a restaurant but I have discovered that in the MDR it's best to ask for rare then I get medium rare. The steak was lovely, just how I like it and very juicy. It was the first formal night last night and very well observed. It was Marco's menu, had a good Pink trout with brown shrimp starter then the Beef Wellington - again rare and juicy. I didn't have Marco's choice of dessert - a Biscuit Glace - John had it, looked like a hazelnut panacotta with a biscuit stuck into it. Quite sweet he said. I had the Apple Tarte Tartin with Vanilla Pod icecream which was lovely. Stilton was on offer too - both nights, the cheeseboard was good according to the cheese lovers, I don't eat cheese, and it looked much more than the thin slivers they sometimes offer. We had chocolate truffles too at the end of the meal - the coffee's still lousy though!

We ate in the buffet this lunch time which we don't very often do but I was quite impressed with the salad choice. The new layout and tables in the Horizon, not Orangery any more, are good. On the salad side there was smoked salmon, mussels, prawns, very good slices of ham plus other bits and pieces, smoked mackerel too I saw.

We are in Hamburg until midnight tonight and there are evening tours but we will be eating on board. So no-one can moan about a short time ashore. Tomorrow it's a sea day and then Copenhagen on Saturday.

I did go ashore on the shuttlebus today - chargeable for non Select ticket passengers - and the bus took my scooter without any problem. It was not able to drop us exactly where it was supposed to as there's a G8 ministers thing on and a security cordon in place. It was perishing cold. We were heading to one of the Christmas Marets at the Rasthaus - not sure of the spelling. I hadn't realised that I would have to cross several very large, main roads on my scooter. Now my scooter is only one of the very small ones and needs dropped kerbs to be able to get on and off pavements. Well they had dropped kerbs but they weren't flat so I was bumping up and down and scaring myself in the process. Anyway we got to the market, not huge but several stalls, some good things for sale, no tat. Lots of hot dogs etc. and glhuwein - sorry spelling! We stayed for a while but then the thought of going over more main roads and the cold deterred me from any further exploring so got the shuttle bus back to the ship and a cup of hot chocolate - bought some sachets with me!

So that's about it. If I take out another 24 hour session I'll post more. Really enjoying Aurora and the Christmas atmosphere on board.

Carole

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Aurora Christmas Markets Hamburg December 8th

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds good, Carole - thanks for the report

We do like Aurora at Christmas

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Don't forget to book to go and see Medieval Luneburg ( P&O trip out of Hamburg ) for the sheer magic of Christmas :thumbup:

:wave:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 08 Dec 2016, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

...or next best thing - just log into LOTP for Looney-burg !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Nope .... the next best thing to Looney-Burg on this cruise is Lubeck ( Pronounced Loo-beque ) :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mrs C is on about the Christmas Markets. Strikes me as a bit cold (and unnaturally Christmassy) !

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Friday - At Sea

After our short trip into Hamburg yesterday and coming back for lunch John was intending going back into the city in the afternoon but one look at the increasingly gloomy, grey weather changed his mind so he went to see the Hemingway film that was on instead! At 7.30 yesterday evening there was an amazing show from a quite elderly Hamburg Choir singing mainly sea shanties. There were two women, one playing the accordian was 87! They were amazing, the enthusiasm with which they sang was matched by the enthusiasm of the audience. They sang everything from "Sailing" to "What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?" Their English when singing was very good, some of their announcements not quite the same but far better than our German would be. Near the end of their performance they were in the middle of a song when in the background we could hear what we thought was the Captain's evening announcement talking about where we would be heading when we left Hamburg later that evening. Just as the song ended we heard the Captain say, "Well I'll shut up now.." and the audience roared with laughter.

There were only four of us on our table of eight tonight as the other two couples were either dining at one of the select eateries or had gone into the city. The meal was very good, some good fish seems to be appearing on the menu now.

Today we are at sea with the usual things happening. Tonight is our second formal night as it's the second of our three sea days. I don't know how many people are using the new internet plans. When I was up here in the library - I find it easier to type on the computers there than on my iPad - there was a man complaining that he had been charged too much for the time he had used. The librarian pointed out that he hadn't logged off properly and he insisted that he had. Eventually she reduced his bill but said he must log off properly as she wouldn't be able to do that again. I wonder if other people are finding that problem, especially the ones who are opting to be charged by the minute. I'm the only person up in the library this afternoon but as the books are not available at the moment I suppose it's not surprising.

The show this evening is called Destination Dance, I don't think we've seen that one before. There's also a comedian called Jon something but not sure I fancy that, we'll see. The other thing on tonight is a film - the latest Star Trek whichever that one is. Tomorrow it's Copenhagen. We've been there before and it's a lovely flat run from the ship to the centre so I may well do that. John is on a trip so we'll see what time there is when he returns.
I shall probably purchase another intenet plan towards the end of our trip - our next sea day is next Monday and we get back to Southampton a week today - lovely another week still to go! Of course if I go ashore I can always take my iPad and see if I can log on somewhere. We'll see.

Carole

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Managed to get internet connection in the cabin with my phone. Just had girl band and singers all dressed up in Christmas outfits marching up and down by the side of Aurora playing and singing Christmas songs. Lovely site. Very cold in Copenhagen off for half day stop in Oslo tomorrow. Guess it's so they can sell duty free. Denmark is in the EU but still has her own currency. Passengers hoping to see snow tomorrow.

Carole

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”