Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by GillD46 »

Japan has been on my wish list for many, many, many years - though I know I'd struggle as a non fish eater. It sounds wonderful though and I can't wait to read more.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Tuesday 7 March 2017 - Osaka, Japan

Osaka is completely different to Kochi. It is very built up with towering buildings and looking out from the ship it could be a city anywhere in the world. As we are further North it is much colder than yesterday but clear blue skies.

I am flying solo as Garry has a back injury and has decided to rest it for today. He handed in his trip ticket and as there are passengers on the waitlist he will get a refund.

My tour is Highlights of Kyoto. During the 90 minute plus journey our tour guide Miko kept up a continuous verbal onslaught about everything Japanese. She pointed out buildings we couldn't see because of the high walls which separated the lanes of the motorway. We did see the rice fields which then led her to explaining the different types of rice and how it is eaten. She made her explanation on rice last 20 minutes and would have continued for longer if the driver hadn't stopped at a services for a comfort break. The rest from her voice was the biggest comfort.
She then moved onto the weather. Just as she did the heavens opened even though it was still blue skies. Next came the Japanese alphabet and that bored us for another 20 minutes. Finally she started to talk about what we would see in Kyoto.

We saw the Bullet train arriving at the station as we reached Kyoto. The train runs every 5 minutes and has 16 carriages.

Our first stop was at the Golden Pavilion or Rokuon-ji temple. It was indeed Golden with 24 carat Gold Leaf and it glistened in the sunlight. The first sight of it just took my breath away. The temple was in the middle of a lake and the gardens were amazing. There were many uneven stone steps to climb but another treasure around every corner made the climb worthwhile.

The next stop was the Nino-jo Castle which dates back to 1603 and is a World Heritage site. The coach dropped us right by the main gate but this was undergoing a restoration program and we had to walk right round the moat to the tradesmen's entrance. Some steps but nowhere near as many as at the Temple.

It had started to Snow but still bright sunshine. Weird weather but it didn't last long. We had to remove our shoes to enter the temple and it was very well laid out with a marked route round to ensure we saw every room and all of the many elaborately decorated panels and carvings. We were not allowed to take photographs which was a pity.

Lunch was at a luxury hotel close by. Western food with a Japanese twist. The room was huge and could probably have catered for at least 500 people. There were about 250 of us at tables for 12 and the service and food was excellent. As only 3 of us on our table enjoyed the sushi we helped everyone else out. It amazes me how many people won't even try the local food.

Next we went to an extremely ornate Shinto Shrine. The colours were vermillion and green for blood and trees. The gardens here were just beautiful even without the flowers that wouldn't bloom for another month. Just as I expected a Japanese garden to look like with babbling streams filled with carp. We saw a Crane preening itself and appeared to be posing for our photographs. An hour here just wasn't long enough to see everything but as it was so cold everyone was happy to return to the warmth of the coach.

The final stop was a short shopping experience with excellent toilet facilities before our 90 minute trek back to Osaka. The majority of the goods on sale were made in Japan and they appeared to be doing a good trade. The Wi Fi was also very good and free.

The journey back was hampered by the traffic but we arrived back at the ship on time. I was completely exhausted and we had room service dinner and rested.

Tomorrow is a sea day before our final Japanese Port of Nagasaki.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Loved your account. Japan was on our bucket list but I doubt we will be able to do it now. However.................. just yesterday we had a crane perched on one of the hedges around our garden. My husbands carer spotted it and I was so transfixed I didn't have time to fetch the camera. If I had done, I would probably have missed most of its brief visit.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning all, hope everyone is good. More from Sue :

Wednesday 8 March 2017 - Sea Day to Nagasaki

Such a relief that it is a relaxing sea day. I went to the early morning exercise class and then to the Spa to let the Hydropool jets massage my aching legs.

By the time I returned to the balcony the sun was out but it was still quite cold.

More new Guest speakers on board . At 10 a.m. Jeremy Hunter in the Palladium exploring the DNA of the worlds cultures. Katie Chaplin was speaking at the the same time in the Globe on the Japanese Kimono. At 12:15 p.m. Ken MacTaggart was speaking in the Globe about Japan's Voyage to an asteroid, closely followed at 2:15 by Christine Thomas introducing the early Hong Kong. I have never known as many Guest speakers on a ship. No wonder the cost of the cruise is so high as we are subsidising the freeloaders. Lol.

The Captain Ashley Cook took to the stage in the Palladium at 11 a.m. to be 'grilled' by the entertainment manager Mark Guy on his life at sea.

Not only did we have a wine tasting at 11 a.m but also a Martini tasting at 2 p.m. Hic.

As we are nearing the end of this third sector it was the Passenger talent show in the Palladium. I have no idea how talented our fellow pax are as I went to the Spanish lesson.

The evening entertainment was an Irish comedian William Caulfield. We went to see him as it was a new act for us. As comedians go he was okay but many of the jokes were the usual that we heard many times over from other comedians. Needless to say we won't be attending his second show. We finished the night at the formal ball.

Tomorrow we are in Nagasaki our last Japanese port of call.

Thursday 9 March 2017 - Nagasaki.

Nagasaki is the capital and largest city of Nagasaki Ken on the island of Kyushu, which is Japan's most southerly of the four main islands and the third largest.

We had not booked a tour here as all of the research and information gathered assured us that it was easy to DIY. We had a plan for the day and set off at 8:30 a.m.

All of the research paid off. We bought our day pass for the light railway from the info office at a cost of 500 yen each, approx £3.50. We also got a map showing clearly the numbered stops and the coloured tram to take us where we had planned.

We had to take the green tram 2 stops then change to the Blue tram to reach our first attraction which was the cable car or ropeway as it is known in Japan. About a 15 minute walk from the tram stop and once again many many slopes and steps before we reached our destination. The signage was very good . Close to the cable car station was a primary school and we could hear them singing. There was a shrine there which was beautifully decorated.

It cost 2460 yen for the two of us return, about £17.50. Very clean and frequent cars taking 16 passengers to the top of Mount Inasa. Breathtaking 360 degree views of Nagasaki and completely clear skies meant that we could see for miles. Arcadia looked like a toy boat from the top of the mountain. Although the sun was out it was very cold up there and at times windy.

Next on our planned route was the Peace Garden, this meant a trek back to the tram stop, at least it was mainly downhill this time, and we caught the Blue tram again. The stops were well marked and the tram ran every 5 minutes but very little seating so mainly standing room only.

The Peace park was only 5 minutes from the tram stop but once again was high up. Luckily they had installed escalators so we didn't have to tackle the many stone steps.
This is where a monument marks the centre of the atomic bomb blast. The atmosphere was extremely reflective. The gardens were immaculate and the memorials which were donated by different countries well kept. It was huge and we probably only saw about half of the memorials, the most impressive was the 30 ft high Peace Statue.
The memorial that touched me the most was by one of the workers from the Mitsibushi arms factory. His life was saved when his boss ordered him away from his post on an errand. Within seconds of him leaving his post the bomb went off and he was sheltered by a pillar. His boss died in exactly the spot the worker would have been in. The majority of his colleagues died that day and only a handful survived.

We were in walking distance of the Atomic bomb museum but decided against going there and instead made our way back on the Blue tram to China Town. This was very colourful and as time was short and so much to see we ate on the hoof from a restaurant with a stall outside selling fast food. It was delicious. I had a meat dim sum, spring roll and Prawn toast. All were delicious and just enough to keep us going. We made some purchases in China Town including some Sake which I have never tasted.

We left China Town and headed for the Oura Catholic Church which is the oldest wooden church in Japan. It was built in 1865 in memory of the 26 Christian martyrs who were crucified by the ruling Shogun because he felt his influence was threatened by Christianity. Of course there was another steep hill to climb to get there but at least plenty of shops on the way up to distract me from the hike.

Next to the church was the beautiful Glover Garden an oasis of green with panoramic views over the city. Foreign houses were moved here including Glover House which is said to be the house of Madam Butterfly.

We found a supermarket to use up the rest of our yen on cabin supplies. No tonic but cans of the local Kirin beer and Diet Coke.

We returned to the ship exhausted and after trying unsuccessfully to get on the free port wifi we headed straight to the spa to relax in the Hydropool for an hour before dinner. When we returned to the cabin Trevor Glass had sent us a plate of chocolates.

The evening entertainment was a juggler in the Palladium and one of the
Headliner vocalists performing in the Globe.

None of the entertainment on offer appealed as much as an early night did as we have another port tomorrow which is Busan or Pusan in South Korea. It will be an early start as we have to have a face to face immigration on board ship before we can disembark.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sue, no wonder you needed an early night. I'm exhausted just reading about how much you manage to pack into each day.

You will need a holiday when you get back home to help you recover from this one!!!

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds amazing.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The reports are excellent and am throughly enjoying them.

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mr too, but it sounds exhausting. Not sure I will be able to handle it when my turn comes !!

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 10 March 2017 - Busan, South Korea

A sunny clear day and unlike yesterday no wind but still cold out of the sun.

None of the trips on offer here appealed as we felt Templed out after Japan. Many of the trips were going to the market and fish market which we knew were easy to do on our own.

We were in the first batch to go through immigration and we were through by 7:40 a.m. Luckily we were before the tours as they didn't call any more independents for 3/4 hour.

There was a money exchange by the ship where we bought our Won, the South Korean Currency. 10,000 Won = approx £7. We were made to feel welcome by the tourism agents and there were stalls set out selling local goods.

We caught the shuttle bus which took around 1/2 hour to get to the drop off point. It is a typical city with high rise buildings and masses of traffic. The bus dropped us by the Gukje Market where well over a thousand shops and stalls were waiting to take our Won. A lot of it was for the domestic market with a few souvenir shops dotted around. Hardly anyone spoke any English at all and all the signs were only in Korean. Unusual for me I found it difficult to spend anything.

We gave up on the market and went looking for a department store. The fashion here is jeans and sweatshirts and once again I came away empty handed.

The fish market was amazing. Hundreds of stalls selling every fish imaginable. Live fish, dead fish, cured fish, salted fish, shell fish, lobsters, crabs, whole Octopus, Eels and many more that I couldn't put a name to. Very colourful and the Korean people were welcoming but not as friendly as the Japanese. On one stall the young girl kept giving me different samples to try. Some were unusual nuts, or vegetables and some dried fish. She then gave us a drink of sweet tea. We just couldn't walk away without buying something so we chose the only thing we recognised which were almonds.

We found a fish restaurant for lunch with proper tables and chairs (most of them were low tables with cushions on the floor). The menu was in Korean but with a bit of help from a girl who had taught herself some English I managed to order the set menu of cuttlefish for me and a plate of Prawns for Garry. Free Wi Fi as well which was a bonus.
I have never seen so much food on the table all at once. There were 8 different side dishes, a huge tureen of soup and the plates of fish. I have no idea what I ate other than the fish but it was all delicious. We had 2 bottles of beer and the whole bill was only 38,000 Won, about £26, and Garry's Prawns cost over half of that.

We returned to the market area to spend up the rest of our Won before returning back to the ship. It wasn't easy but as we couldn't change it back to sterling we made one lucky shop owners day and spent it all with her.

We ate in Sindhu in the evening, and had taken advantage of the 25 % off offer. It was quite busy because of the offer but the food and service was excellent as usual.

The Headliners were performing their new show Money Makes the World go round. We have seen it twice already this cruise and as we were quite late out of Sindhu we didn't bother going to the theatre.

Tomorrow is a sea day before we reach Shanghai in China.

Saturday 11 th March 2017 sea day to Shanghai

I went back to the early morning exercise class after missing them on the last two Port days. I saw the bright orange sun rising and managed to get a great photo of it. From there I went straight to the Spa for an hour of relaxation. I was alone in the Hydropool and it was just bliss. I fell asleep on the hot beds and only woke when housekeeping came in to replenish the towels.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sunday 12 March 2017 - Shanghai

We woke to a very foggy rainy morning.
There were lots of shipping around as this is the 2nd largest and busiest port in Asia. Hong Kong is the largest but Shanghai has plans to enlarge the port which will make it larger than Hong Kong.

We were late arriving into dock due to the weather which did not improve all day.

Our tour was to the Ancient water town of Zhujiajiao. It is 900 years old and situated in the Qingpu district which is 60 km from Shanghai down town and as the ship was docked 75 minutes drive from downtown we had a long journey ahead.

Our tour guide was excellent and gave us lots of interesting information about Shanghai and China.
Shanghai covers 6800 sq km total with a population of 24 million, only Chongqing near the Yangtze River is larger with a pop. of 30 million. The Capital Beijing has pop. of 23 million and there are 1.3 billion in the whole of china.

Property here is very expensive. A 100 sq m apartment costs £1.8million in down town and 25 km away in the middle ring £800 thousand.

We made good progress as the roads were not as busy as normal due to it being a Sunday.

Our first stop was a hotel restaurant for lunch as we had docked late due to tides. We thought it was a bit early at noon but it turned out to be a good decision.

It was a very nice restaurant and served authentic Chinese food. The food was piled up in the middle of the table which swivelled. Tables were set for 12 but there were only 10 on our table. There was plenty of food for everyone including Vegetarian, beef, pork, chicken and duck. Soup and a Green tea Chinese cookie and a drink including beer, sprite or Coke. The only criticism was the lack of facilities. Only 2 ladies toilets for over 200 passengers, so 100 ladies. Some ladies were using the men's toilet.

The rain still hadn't stopped by the time we reached the Water town. It was a beautiful place but very hard to get the best out of it when there were so many people there carrying brollys, and rain dripping from everywhere. It wasn't particularly cold just very wet. Our guide led us down narrow alleyways and over bridges. There were hundreds of small shops selling everything from essentials to souvenirs.
The highlights were the ancient buildings of the pharmacy and the post office both over 800 years old and still in use.
It continued raining all day and by the time I returned to the coach I was saturated.

The journey back was exceptionally busy and our guide explained that it was because Shanghai people go to the country for the weekend and return Sunday evenings ready for the working week. It was stop start and nose to tail all the way back to Shanghai.

Our last stop was a Silk factory where there was an explanation and demonstration on how the silk was made followed by some shopping time. The products were very colourful and lovely quality but everything I found that I liked wasn't the correct size.

The journey back to the ship was once again marred by traffic and the rain. The lights of down town Shanghai were spectacular and would have been even better if the coach's windows had not misted up.

Once back on ship and through immigration my only thought was to get out of my wet clothes and a hot shower followed by room service dinner and bed.

It is hard to put my thoughts about Shanghai and China into perspective. The day was marred by the weather which no one can do anything about, but even taking that into consideration I was certainly more impressed with Japan. The Chinese people we came across were not as polite or welcoming as the Japanese and at times they were very rude.

Tomorrow is the first of 2 sea days to Hong Kong.

DANCER
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DANCER »

loving reading your blogs Sue. Came across it by chance and realised we had joined you twice at breakfast . you explained you attended the early exercise class and your husband was a member of the Spar. we often sat in front of you in the Globe . We were in the cream chairs and you in the half moon booth behind us. You are excellent Dancers and yes I noticed that like us ,you adhere to and like Formal attire. you always looked glamorous . we are beginners and knew Jeffrey and Brenda from 2016 cruise . They were our reason for choosing Arcadia. They are talented, friendly, and loved by all .
I read your blog and dream I am back onboard, I long to dance in the Globe again . We sailed Southampton -Sydney .Keep Dancing and Writing
Best Wishes Jeanne and John Andrews

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Shanghai sounds tiring and wet! Hope the weather improved for you now, although it was very cold when we were in Hong Kong.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 13 March 2017 - 1st Sea day to Hong Kong

We departed Shanghai sometime after 10 p.m. but as I was well asleep I didn't hear anything.
I awoke at 5:30 am and realised that we were not moving. It was very foggy and I could just make out the shapes of other ships also at anchor.

I went to the morning exercise class where everyone was discussing yesterday's tours. There appeared to have been many problems and it seemed like it was only our tour that had run smoothly.

The ship didn't move all morning and the Captain explained that because of the weather the Port of Shanghai had closed. It was unsafe to send the pilot boat out to collect the pilot and they would not give their permission for Arcadia to continue to Hong Kong with the pilot on board. We had to stay at anchor until the weather cleared and permission was granted to continue.

There were lots of very worried passengers who had flights booked from HK and the reception area was swamped with pax wanting more info and other pax at the tour desk complaining about yesterday's tours.

Unlike many Captains who go into hiding when there are problems, Captain Cook walked the ship talking to passengers and explaining that he was in Shanghai's jurisdiction and his hands were tied.

Obviously negotiations were still ongoing as later in the afternoon the Captain announced that finally the Chinese had agreed that the pilot could stay on board until Hong Kong and we could continue our cruise. Captain Cook assured everyone that it would be full speed ahead and hopefully, even though we had lost over 10 hours sailing time, Arcadia would dock in Hong Kong at the expected time.

He certainly put his foot down and it was a very rough sailing overnight.

It was the first formal night of the sector and after dinner we went to the Globe for some dancing before the theatre. It was difficult to stand up never mind dance. We went to see David Kidd as Tom Jones in the theatre, but we gave the formal ball a miss as the sea conditions had worsened again.

Another relaxing sea day tomorrow.

Tuesday 14 March 2017 - 2nd sea Day to Hong Kong

It was indeed a very rough fast overnight sailing. Arcadia coped well but there was a lot of movement, creaking and vibrations throughout the ship.

The weather had improved a lot by the morning and although still overcast the sea had calmed and the fog had cleared.

We went to the Round the World Coffee Morning where the topic of conversation was the Chinese port authority. The cost of taking the pilot to HK getting his passport and visa flown out flying him home etc will be paid by P & O, but less cost than being stuck there and having to rearrange flights etc.

The Arcadia was at full speed which continued all day. 10 hours is a lot to catch up but the Captain assured everyone that we would be docking on time at approx 6 a.m.

Tomorrow we will be in Hong Kong.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

After India, one of our favourite ports of call, enjoy! Hope you have planned your stay there, it's definitely a DIY port of call with some planning ahead.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Wednesday 15 March 2017 - Hong Kong

As the Captain promised we were alongside by 6 a.m. The sail in was fabulous as all the buildings were lit up. It was better than the New York sail in last year which I thought would take some beating.

Ocean Terminal is one huge shopping, dining and entertainment venue. Upmarket shops that although duty free are still eyewateringly expensive. After pricing up a pair of Ecco shoes that I know I can get at home for about £90 and they were asking 1600 HK dollars for, which is around £160, we set off to find the metro system.

Our research had paid off and we found the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station fairly easily. It only cost 5 HK to get to the Mong Kok area which is another shopping area and close to where the local markets are.
The train was very fast and modern and looked full to capacity but everyone waiting squeezed on.
A quarter of the Arcadia passengers were here. It was an experience as we walked around and were offered every type of massage available.

The stall holders mantra was 'Very cheap' which they kept shouting to attract attention to their goods which were no different than the hundreds of other stalls. Occasionally the odd stall took my attention and the very good stuff was all under the counter. Pictures of all of the upmarket bags were on an iPad and then they discreetly delved under the trestle tables and rummaged around until they found it. Bartering was common for the goods on display but nothing I saw tempted me to buy until I saw a dress. There was nowhere to try it on but it looked like it would fit. Garry's bartering skills came into play and we ended up paying less than half the original asking price.

We enjoyed the day but it wasn't quite what I expected. There is such a huge difference between Hong Kong by the waterfront, which is very stylish, modern and clean, and the other areas which are dirty, tacky and look very unloved. Some of the buildings which were advertised as hotels were no more than hovels. Everywhere was heaving with people.

We made our way back to the MRT station and back to the Ocean Terminal shopping area for some free wifi before getting back on board.

Every evening there is a free light show on the tall buildings around the harbour. It is advertised as starting at 8p.m. but the buildings gradually
lit up as soon as it became dark. It was an amazing sight and we had a great view from our dinner table of both the lights on the buildings and the lights on the boats on the river. After dinner we collected our coats and headed to the aft pool waiting for the official start. The
highest building had a count down at the very top and at 8 pm the top lit up as a clocks face and bells chimed as gradually the laser beams started lighting up the skies. The waterway was very busy with ferries, commercial boats and the sightseeing boats waiting to see the light show. We had a fabulous view from the top deck and then afterwards sat on our balcony with a drink.

There was a Chinese themed show in the theatre but we decided to stay and enjoy our view of the nightlife on the river and in the city.

Tomorrow we have a full days tour aptly named the Grand tour of Hong Kong.

Thursday 16 March 2017 2nd day in Hong Kong.

We had a very early start as we had to meet in the Globe at 7:15 a.m

The weather was cloudy but sun was forecast for later.

Our tour guide was very informative and gave us lots of information on both the history of HK and the present day HK

It is no wonder that everywhere we went yesterday was very busy as there are 7.3 million people living in HK of which 95% are Chinese. The islands in total are only 1100 sq kilometres.

Our first stop was close by the ship where we were boarded onto a boat for a harbour cruise. Different buildings and islands were pointed out to us as we gently cruised past all of the buildings that now looked so drab after being colourfully lit up last night.

We saw the huge casino ship, which as gambling is illegal in HK, has to sail 6 miles out to sea for gambling. Other than the ship, gamblers have to go to a Macau to indulge their habit.

We disembarked the boat across the waterway on Hong Kong Island which is also known as Victoria Island. This is the Financial district. The biggest industry is Banking, then Shipping followed by tourism. Every year 65 million tourists visit Hong Kong and 60 % are from china.

Most inhabitants of Hong Kong speak English as this is taught from an early age. Cantonese is the first language rather than Mandarin which is spoken in mainland China.

We passed the Happy Valley race course and although gambling is illegal Horse racing is classed as a sport and encouraged by the government. 10 million pounds is bet on every race and there are 800 races per season. The government rake in 15 % of this and the money made is put back into the city, for schools hospitals etc.

The 2nd stop was at Stanley Market. We found some excellent bargains and much better quality goods than yesterday at the Ladies market. This market opens every day for the locals and only closes 3 or 4 days per year for the Chinese New Year. We only had an hour here and I could easily have spent a full morning feeding my habit.

On our way to the 3rd stop we passed Repulse Bay which is a very upmarket, exclusive and expensive area of HK with beautiful sandy beaches. There are shark nets on every beach making swimming in the very warm South China Sea 99% safe.

We arrived at the area known as Aberdeen where we got onto small Sampan boats for a sail around the fishing boats and the house boats where the fishing families lived. There were hundreds of little boats and the house boats we saw had full facilities. We saw air con, washing machines, refrigerators and cooking facilities. None of the young people want to work in the fishing industry as it is hard work. Long hours and no guaranteed pay out at the end.

Lunch was at the Dragon King restaurant on the 12 th floor of the World Trade Centre. Beautiful restaurant and the food and service was excellent. It was exceptionally busy with not only 4 tour coaches but also many local families and workers on their lunch break. There was a lot of different dishes brought out at different times and no one went hungry.

The next stop was at a jewellery factory where we were assured prices were very cheap and that the quality was excellent. We were ready to spend but very little caught my eye and the pieces that did were outrageously expensive. Even for semi precious stones they were asking six thousand pounds for a medium sized piece without a chain. There was a 'Happy room' but nothing appealed in there. We were about to leave empty handed when my butler spotted some Black and White Ying and Yang diamond studded cuff links. I decided to buy them for him as he has worked so hard this cruise lol. I didn't have any money so I let him pay for them for me.

Our final stop was Victoria Peak. The tour guide jinxed us as he said that the tour was going to plan timewise and after our visit to the peak we would arrive back at the ship at 4:45 ish. BIG MISTAKE. He had just finished speaking when we came to a standstill on the very narrow winding road up to the peak. After frantic phone calls we were told that a bus had broken down and was blocking the road. We were stuck there for nearly an hour. The stop at the Peak was going to be cancelled. We still had to drive up there to turn round so asked for a short while there. In the end common sense prevailed or the thought of the complaints that we had missed a highlight of the trip and it was agreed that we could have 20 minutes at the top. It wasn't long but better than nothing. The cloud was around but we could still see the ship from the top. The view was amazing. We took our photographs and made our way back down the escalators to the bottom.

We arrived back at the ship just over an hour late. The muster drill had been done but they had arranged another one for us as the ship was setting sail. Unusually for P & O they took cabin numbers of those who attended and most certainly not everyone did. There were 4 coaches of 40 people on the tour late back and no more than 75 at the muster drill. I suspect there will be repercussions for those that didn't attend.

We enjoyed a beer on the balcony watching Hong Kong light up for the night then ordered room service dinner and a bottle of Sauv Blanc. We watched Hong Kong fade away as we sailed towards Nha Trang in Vietnam.

We have a sea day tomorrow to get over the long day we have had.

DANCER
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DANCER »

I remember sailing away from Hong Kong . The reflection of the buildings in the water ,so stunning!!!!!! So impressive,I stayed on the deck until the last lights went out , I will never forget it

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Did the dress fit?
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Are the musters compulsory for all at each sector - even the RTWers?
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I think, like Mumbai, Hong Kong is one of those places you love or hate. Sadly I did not love it, though it is quite unique and an experience. Enjoy your sea day now.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 17 March 2017- Sea Day to Nha Trang

We woke early and although still dawn it was hot and humid.

I went to the Morning exercise class followed by the spa.

We went to the tours desk and cancelled our trip at Laem Chabang to see the Grand Palace in Bankok .We had been informed that due to the Kings death the palace was a pilgrimage site and the journey there would be in excess of 3 hours, and then it would be so busy with the people paying their respects that it would be at least a kilometre walk to get there. We changed the trip to a hotel and beach break in Pattaya.

I then had breakfast in the sun on the balcony. It was so nice to feel the heat of the sun again and I stayed there for the rest of the morning.

The noon announcement included the fact that we had cruised 25000 miles since leaving southampton on the 2nd January. The Captain told us to look out for the Queen Mary who would pass us on our Port side on her way to Hong Kong.

At around 12:25 there was much horn and whistle blowing as the ships Captain Cook and Captain Wells saluted each other as the ships passed. As both ships were doing around 20 knots the QM soon faded from sight.

There was a BBQ on deck to celebrate St Patrick's day and lots of themed entertainment and green balloons around the ship.

We opted for lunch on the balcony but during the afternoon the clouds came over and we had a torrential rain storm.

Michael Howard is the new speaker and also Sandra Howard speaking in the afternoon about her modelling in the 60s, including time spent with Frank Sinatra, The Rat Pack and President Kennedy. I wonder if P&O got two Howard's for the price of one.

I think the last two busy days in Hong Kong had got the better of me as I woke up to find I had missed the Spanish class and it was time to get ready for dinner. The restaurant was very busy and our waiters run off their feet with every table in their section fully occupied. Such a difference from last sector.

We went to see David Kidd in the theatre this time as himself. I much preferred his first show as Tom Jones, as did everyone else I spoke to. Such a shame for the passengers who only joined in Hong Kong to miss out. We have seen his own show before and I remembered too late that I had the same thoughts then. He only made a name for himself as Tom Jones so why doesn't he stick to what he is good at.

We finished the night in the Globe at the St Patrick's night ball. The dancing has got busy again since new pax joined in HK.

Tomorrow we are in Nha Trang Vietnam

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Saturday 18 March 2017 - Nha Trang Vietnam.
This was a tender port and tickets were being given out from 7:15 a.m. so a very early start. It was either get an early ticket or be prepared to wait until after the trips had departed.

We were on the first tender and shuttle into town as I had a beach day planned. It was hot hot hot and sunny. The roads were very busy and there didn't appear to be any traffic laws other than honking horns every few metres.
We were taken to a hotel close to the beach and could use the facilities and the free Wi Fi. By the hotel were pelican crossings to reach the beach. The red lights were completely ignored by the bikes and cars. The only concession they gave was to swerve around pedestrians as they crossed. The hassle we got walking 100 metres from the hotel to the beach was horrendous. They would not take No thank you for an answer.

We got sun beds on the beach and I enjoyed the hot sun and sea. The surf was up and unfortunately I lost a pair of sunglasses in it. I searched and searched but the waves had taken them. Luckily they were selling more on the beach which will suffice until I can get some decent ones in Singapore. They do say Gucci on the side but at $14 US I very much doubt they are even an authentic copy! There wasn't a beach bar in sight, but the young lad who rented the beds went on his scooter to the local supermarket and brought ice cold beers to us. That's what I call service.

By midday Garry had had enough and started getting itchy feet. He doesn't like beaches. We had planned to go to the local market but everyone we spoke to who had been there said it was dreadful with lots of hassle. We had been warned that petty crime was rife and to watch our bags carefully.

We went back to the hotel to use the facilities and Wi Fi then back to the ship where a market had been set up. I bought a coolie hat ready for my trip down the Mikong river tomorrow and another 2 bottles of beer to take back on board with us. At $1 US each for 500ml bottles we should have bought his stock.

The tenders were very busy but I thought the operation was run very efficiently. Captain Cook made an appearance at the tender dock to check on how the tender operation was coping with the volume. Just his presence there appeared to appease and shut up whinging passengers. I think the only thing that could have been organised differently was the tours. So many came back at the same time that the queues were inevitable. The port had erected a large covered area with seating and the ship provided Ice cold flannels and water to cool pax down.

There was a sailaway on deck which I enjoyed from the comfort of my balcony, especially when we had a tropical shower. The sailaway continued in the rain and once it stopped everything dried up very quickly.

The evening entertainment was a guy called Jon Courtenay. A piano player, singer and comedian. He was hilarious and an outstanding showman. Without doubt the very best act we have seen on the ship. I am not a fan of comedians as generally I don't find them funny at all. Jon was certainly on my wave length.

When we returned to our cabin there was a leaflet for each of us from P&O offering us one choice of different gifts. There was a choice of photography lessons, a portrait, an hours dance lesson, 5 free 24 hours of Internet, various Spa treatments, meals in the Select dining including wine, fitness classes, ships souvenir package, personal training session, champagne or a bingo package

The 60s and 70s party was held on deck as the rain had stopped. I didn't want a late night so I listened to the music for a while from our balcony. It was a perfect night for a deck party.

Tomorrow I have a long day with a 3 hour drive to the Mikong Delta. I leave as the ship docks at 9 a.m. and the return time is 6:30 p.m. as the ship is about to sail.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Oh I well remember crossing from the hotel to the beach, fortunately the hotel doorman strode out into the middle of the road and held his arms out for us to cross. It was still terrifying. But it was NOTHING compared to crossing any road in District 1 in Saigon. That was truly taking your life in your hands. But our son who lived there for nearly six years, just said go for it and they will swerve around you - and they did!
Last edited by GillD46 on 19 Mar 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sunday 19 March 2017 -Phu My Vietnam

I woke early and went on the balcony to find it was already El Scorchio hot.
Not a pretty port as it is commercial but on the other side there was lots of woodland. There must be a lot of rainfall here to keep it so green.

I had a full day tour booked to the Mekong river delta. On the long drive there Rich, our tour guide, pointed out the sights and gave us information on Vietnamese life.

Saigon is Vietnam's largest city that has been renamed Hoi Chi Min but the locals still refer to it as Saigon. Hanoi is the capital but the 2nd biggest city. We passed numerous scooters and motorbikes carrying 3 or 4 passengers including young babies and children not wearing crash helmets. Others were carrying livestock or items of furniture. The roads were just mad and we witnessed many near misses.

There were many paddy fields and other farming areas along the way which were dotted with cemeteries. Rich explained that the farmers who had worked the land all of their life wanted to be buried on their land. This is totally legal in Vietnam and hence the graves are in the middle of the fields just apparently placed at random.

Our first stop was a boat cruise along the Mekong Delta to the canals. We had a walk along a narrow pathway through gardens after getting off the boat with many stalls wanting to take our dollars. Rich kept walking and pointed out exotic fruits and plants as we followed him to our first taste of Vietnam delicacies. We got to taste honey straight from the hive with the bees buzzing around us. Then some very tasty snacks of Ginger, peanut candy and dried banana along with tea and honey. I couldn't resist buying some of them to take home, that's if they last that long.

Our next stop was to sample the local fresh fruits again with tea served on the side. Fresh pineapple, mango, Dragon fruit, and another delicious tasting exotic fruit that I can't remember the name of. It looked like an apple as it had a core except it was orange coloured and tasted more like a peach. We were treated to the local girls who were dressed beautifully, singing and the men playing the guitar. A real taste of Vietnam.

We finally arrived at the small boats for the cruise down the Mekong river. We were loaded in fours onto the local boats which were powered only by an oars person at the front and one at the back. We had about a 20 minute paddle down the canal where we saw the wildlife and foliage of the area. The birds were singing and the butterflies were almost as big as the birds. It was exceptionally hot and I was glad of my coolie hat which had now grown to 2 coolie hats which I wore one on top of the other as it was easier than carrying one. The thick foliage also helped to keep the sun off us.

Back at the Mekong delta it was a precarious disembarkation from the small boat to get onto our larger boat. I had to cross 3 other boats to get onto our boat. Safely on board we were rewarded with a fresh coconut and a straw to drink the juice.

We met the coach where he had dropped us off and our next stop was a very beautiful Buddhist Temple. It was totally unexpected as it wasn't on our itinerary but it was absolutely stunning and well worth the time taken to visit this place. We met a monk in training who was 23 and had already served 7 years guarding the temple and had another 7 years ahead of him before he became a Buddhist Monk. At night he slept on straw mats on the floor by the door of the temple.

Our final stop was at the Mekong restaurant for a delicious Vietnamese lunch. We started with Elephant Ear fish, which looked ugly and very unappetising, but in fact was very tasty. The waitresses served everything and made the rice paper pancakes with the fish and salad dishes. The Prawns were huge and the food just kept coming, and nothing was left on the table.

The journey back was much the same as it was going. Watching the antics of the scooters and bikes kept us occupied. We did go past an accident where a scooter was crushed under the front of a pickup truck. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

I got back to the ship at 6 p.m. It had been an exhausting but very enjoyable day and I felt that I had seen the real life of Vietnam rather than the city life.

We ordered room service dinner and sat on the balcony watching the landscape as Arcadia sailed back to the South China Ocean. Even my favourite Headliner show, Killer Queen, didn't entice me to get dressed to go out.

Tomorrow is a Sea Day to Laem Chabang where most of the passengers will be visiting Bangkok.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Mon 20 March 2017 - Sea Day to Laem Chabang Thailand

This must be the hottest day we have had all cruise. Well into the high 30s in the shade.

After the morning exercise class, where I could really tell I had missed 2 days, I went for an Eggs Benedict breakfast followed by an hour in the spa.

The time had come when I needed to delve into my 'big' suitcase and pack away my lovely smaller sized dresses.

I could only stand 10 minutes at a time in the sun before moving into the shade for 10 minutes. It really was that hot. I hadn't realised whilst I was eating lunch in the shade that my feet were in the sun. Ow! Hopefully I realised in time and the pain will reduce quickly.

I went to the afternoon Spanish class where the numbers have increased again with the new passengers.

We had dinner in the Ocean Grill with an officer friend who is going on leave in Singapore. The food and service was once again excellent. It was a lovely relaxed evening with great company. By the time we said our goodbyes it was too late to go to the show.

Tomorrow we are in Laem Chabang.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Tuesday 21 March 2017 - Laem Chabang, Thailand

Another very hot steamy day. This is very much a Commercial port and the reason for the call here is to enable passengers to visit Bangkok, the Capital of Thailand.
We decided against doing a tour there as the Journey is around 3 hours and, as the Grand Temple is a pilgrimage site since the old Thai King died, the roads and the area around the temple would be horrendously busy. Mourning lasts for a year to enable everyone to visit to pay their respects. Apparently his embalmed body lies in state for that long.

Instead we booked a poolside retreat at a hotel in Pattaya. We got to see the scenery on the 60 minute journey and the guide was very informative. She obviously loved the old King very much and a lot of her talk revolved around him.

The Hotel was sheer bliss. Very quiet with many secluded shady areas. The pool was large with little waterways off leading to jacuzzi pools. We were given a cool drink and shown around the hotel facilities and the beach area. There was a massage area and although I didn't try it, I spoke to another passenger who recommended it. It only cost 17 dollars. A bargain. We were given vouchers for free Wifi, another drink and for lunch.
The loungers were reserved for us ( they were actually reserved for Cunard passengers but they didn't have reserve labels printed for Arcadia pax) and we had our choice of area - beach, pool, sun or shade. There were enough spare ones to move in and out of the sun. The Wi Fi was fast and reliable for a change. Lunch was Thai with a choice of chicken, chicken or chicken, but each dish had different flavourings. Water with the meal and fresh fruit to finish . It was all delicious, if not as exciting as the food in Vietnam.

I spent a lazy afternoon swimming and sun worshipping until at 4 p.m. I reluctantly re boarded the bus (Garry thought he was going to have to drag me away kicking and screaming)

The return journey was not uneventful as, after about 30 minutes driving, a screeching noise started to assault our ear drums closely followed by the smell of burning. Our guide phoned for another bus but the driver kept driving. We limped back into port without any sign of the other bus.

We just had time for a drink, shower and change before dinner, but after we had eaten we returned to the balcony for an evening under the stars with our well stocked if fastly diminishing bar. Hopefully we can restock the tonics in Singapore. We still have loads of spirits left as we get vouchers every sector to allow us to buy from the duty free shop but use in our cabin.

We didn't leave until 11 p.m., and we could have got the shuttle into Pattaya for a night out, but the reports we had read were that by night it is very sleazy and the sex capital of the world.

Tomorrow is a sea day en route to Singapore.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”