Naples

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Linda67
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Naples

Post by Linda67 »

We are on Oriana to the med in September and would like to go to Pompeii from Naples.

Can anybody tell me if this is easy to do on your own - we're not the most confident doing trips on our own but the ship's excursion seems really expensive!

Thanks in advance!

Linda

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Naples

Post by Jack Staff »

Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Many years since we did Pompeii. We used local trains & it wS fine....however, a few years later we did it with a tour and it was so much better ( maybe we struck lucky with the guide). I found that having things explained to me really enhanced the experience. As I said it was quite a few years ago & the ship's departed much later in the evenings in those days so there was no concern about getting back on board on time. There may be a half way house where you book a local tour & guide.
Steve

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-c ... na-railway

Linda, just Google Circumvesuviana. Local train times to both Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Last edited by wolfie on 29 Jun 2017, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

wolfie wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 23:36
http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-c ... na-railway

Linda, just Google Circumvesuviana. Local train times to both Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Yes, recommended. As everywhere, keep your hands on your wallets. There are plenty of local guides at the gates.

We did a P&O trip to Pompeii which was supposed to last 4 and a half hours and I only had 1h10 in Pompeii itself. Those two channels running down the streets are not, as widely believed, ruts made by carts but were actually caused by my heels as they dragged me out screaming. Next year I had to fly my wife out there for a five night vist to Sorrento as a special treat for her birthday. The official trip includes a visit to a cameo workshop which you can easily do without. If you have time then avisit to the archaeological museum is recommended. I haven't managed it yet but all the good stuff from the ruins is in there. (closed Tuesdays)

http://cir.campania.beniculturali.it/mu ... nazionale/
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 30 Jun 2017, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Pompeii - nah! If antiquities and ancient stuff is your thing, aim for Herculaneum - much more interesting, some nice restaurants too.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If you need to travel by road ... then don't unless it is on a tour with P&O cos the traffic is horrendous and arriving back late is par for the course.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Europe”