Smurfy’s Short Adonia Jaunt

Reports about cruises on Adonia

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Smurfy’s Short Adonia Jaunt

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I bet there's no gender pay gap there! Still a big bill.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Jul 2017, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 20:17
Just hope Cubie's trip is less eventful.
Marginally so - we very nearly beached on departure from Scrabster. The Captain was in a hurry to leave on time as the Stronsay ferry was due but there was a strong wind across the beam and a strong tide so we were heading sideways towards the beach at a significant speed and the thrusters were having no effect. Luckily there was a tug on stand-by but it did not have a line on and it was on the seaward side of the ship so it had to make a quick dash to the port side and the Captain dropped the starboard anchor to slow our drift. The tug eventually managed to get into position and hold our drift, by which time we couldn't have been more than 50 yards from the beach. Our balcony was on the starboard (seaward) side but apparently people on the port side were rushing about collecting treasured belongings, medication, warm clothing and a head covering !!

I did try to wind the Captain up about it on a couple of occasions afterwards but he quickly changed the subject and admitted the event would be edited out of the Cruise Log !! I'd love to see his report to head office !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 14:21
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 20:17
Just hope Cubie's trip is less eventful.
Marginally so - we very nearly beached on departure from Scrabster. The Captain was in a hurry to leave on time as the Stronsay ferry was due but there was a strong wind across the beam and a strong tide so we were heading sideways towards the beach at a significant speed and the thrusters were having no effect. Luckily there was a tug on stand-by but it did not have a line on and it was on the seaward side of the ship so it had to make a quick dash to the port side and the Captain dropped the starboard anchor to slow our drift. The tug eventually managed to get into position and hold our drift, by which time we couldn't have been more than 50 yards from the beach. Our balcony was on the starboard (seaward) side but apparently people on the port side were rushing about collecting treasured belongings, medication, warm clothing and a head covering !!

I did try to wind the Captain up about it on a couple of occasions afterwards but he quickly changed the subject and admitted the event would be edited out of the Cruise Log !! I'd love to see his report to head office !

Metal detector user draws ship to beach. Collision avoided by hanging Goldie rubber bed sheets over side :D

Welcome back QB

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Got a nice cheque in the post this morning from the insurance company (Direct Line) for all but £100 (which I was not expecting to get anyway!) - no queries, no problems just paid up.

As they say you only know how good your insurance company is when you have to make a claim, and I have no complaints.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

That's good news David, and a good advert for Direct Line.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Good to hear David. As you say a good advert for the company, but then why should there be any problems if you the customer have followed all the guide lines. But I'm sure there are companies out there who will find the slightest thing to wriggle out of paying.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Direct line came up with a very good price for our Caribbean and US cruise in Feb., but only because they would not cover Lady T's preexisting condìtions. Not sure if P&O would think that was a good idea.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We were with Direct Line when almost a year ago we had to cancel our Rail Company trip to Lake Como as the trouble with my knee had started and there was no way I could even walk the length of the platform. Direct Line paid up in full and quite quickly once I'd filled in the forms and got the form from my GP. However, they wouldn't cover us for our 65 night trip next year - too long they said.

Carole

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”