Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Aurora - Spain/Italy/Croatia Part 1

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well here goes!!

Travelled to Southampton by Eavesway coach - shared with passengers for Aurora, Oriana and Ventura - absolutely choc a bloc but luckily we were dropped off first at Mayflower Terminal - went straight through and managed to get to the “Goldies” lunch - no limp lettuce or curly sarnies - hot food and glass of bubbly - good start to the holiday.

Cabin was ready just after lunch - I had an outside cabin on F deck (5) forward - very handy for dining room (we were on Freedom) and theatre, lift straight up to Crows Nest and as I will reveal why later - the medical centre just below on deck 4. The family were directly opposite in an inside cabin - they commented it felt bigger and certainly the girls had more head room in the bunks. Our cabin steward was from Goa - he was looking forward to going home to see his parents and siblings after the cruise following ours.

Although I didn’t use it there was a launderette at the end of our corridor and my son went there a few times to press shirts - he commented just how busy it was and we often saw people walking past with big piles of ironing. Sorry but I’m on holiday and spending time washing and ironing clothes is a big no no for me.

My son and family plus out-laws left at 8.45 am and arrived over an hour after me - their driver took two breaks and was working towards an arrival time of 3 pm - as you can imagine they were fed up by the time they arrived.

We went through the usual safety drills - trying on life jackets plus our cruise cards were scanned and had our first introduction to the captain - Wesley Dunlop - quite new to P&O - very cheerful with one of those voices that go up at the end of sentences and he was fond of telling us that everything was “tickety boo”. Didn't see him around the ship very much - met him at the welcome aboard party and he gave an amusing speech about his young children (6 and 2) liking him working for P&O - they enjoyed the benefits - we were told he gave the same story every time but don't they all.

We were eating in the Meridian dining room and had a table for the seven of us on the first night and although we were on Freedom we did go back to the same table every night - lovely spot right by the window - the girls liked the waiters - they suggested we go back to their table - I think this happens quite frequently - almost club dining but without the strict times and you get to know them. Noticed a difference in the menus from my cruise in January - still a few items available every night - steak/chicken/salmon but every night there was an “icecream sundae” with a variety of fillings etc. My granddaughters love Oreo biscuits and one of the sundaes consisted of the biscuits plus Oreo ice-cream and fresh cream - very rich. The meals were okay and quite varied - our waiter often brought an extra dessert for us to try. The wine waiter Sally soon got to know us - very quiet and efficient. We ate breakfast in the dining room too - just prefer to be waited on and personally I think you eat less. We didn't use any of the speciality restaurants.

The restaurant manager Rias knew me - he had been on Britannia in January and I knew a lot of the waiters too and they were certainly more friendly and happier - I wonder if they prefer the smaller ships. Less pressures and certainly less hard sell for the speciality restaurants and spa treatments although the photographers were their usual tactless selves - wanting to take photos right in the middle of a meal - one of my pet irritants.

The Entertainments Manager was Jon Bartram - very inconspicuous - the Headliners were okay - apparently one of the singers had been sent home ill and the replacement didn't know a new show which is exclusive to Aurora so we didn't get to see it. There were however two other new shows - both good but spoilt by one of the girl singers who screeched and a guy who just didn't seem to project his voice enough. The best entertainment was from a group of three guys called The Flyrights - they performed a mix of soul and blues and were excellent - they had the theatre on its feet during both shows - they called it “audience participation” Barbados style. There was also a magician and a mind reader neither of which we saw and a singer who had apparently sung on Strictly - one performance was enough for us. The ship’s orchestra were very talented - they performed a Glen Miller tribute one night in the Crow’s Nest - the trumpeter was amazing. A young man played the piano in the bar just outside Anderson’s most nights and also performed in the Crow’s Nest - again very talented.

I didn't go to any of the quizzes or the line dancing or anything much really during the sea days just lazed about, read and walked the promenade deck. It is three years since I was last on Aurora and they have disposed of those lovely wooden loungers and chairs on the prom deck - they are replaced by the standard steel and nylon type chairs and no afternoon tea and cakes served on the deck either - cutbacks?

My granddaughters went to the children’s club on the first day - they are now 10 and 14 and in different groups and the eldest made a lot of friends and spent most of her time with them unlike the younger one who preferred being in the pool with her new friends practically all the time. The 14 year old was one of the youngest in the 13-17 club and really wanted to be allowed out much later than the time laid down by her parents. I do respect their decision and think 11 pm is quite late enough for a 14 year old but this was eventually extended by half hour after a little bit of intervention by us grandparents as she was going to the 10.30 pm show and having to come out before it had finished. Although a few pleas were made for an extension of the 11.30 pm curfew the parents stood firm on this and she is just not used to such late nights - by the end of the holiday she really was very tired.

The first drama concerned my son’s father-in-law - he had a problem with a sore foot the day before the holiday and had been to the local walk-in centre but the nurse couldn't find anything wrong. After the bus journey and inactivity his foot was swollen and he could hardly put it to the floor so the first day at sea they went to the medical centre and overnight the ball of his foot had gone black and well without going too much into the gory details the doctor lanced it - all sorts of “muck” came out and the doctor found a tiny thorn in his foot - if he had left it things could have been much worse. He had to go twice a day to have intravenous antibiotics and then take them orally and the dressing changed every day and he spent 10 days in a wheelchair as he wasn't allowed to put his weight on his foot. They were absolutely amazing in the medical centre - Don’s foot was the talk of the centre for days but of course the downside was that he was reluctant to get off the ship - he didn't really want to be bothered and added to this it was very hot. We hadn’t realised just how difficult it is to push a wheelchair around and Don is not a heavy man - the girls volunteered to help but we were all holding our breath - their steering wasn't very good and we were worried the foot would be bumped. He made a remarkable recovery and once he was able to put his weight on his foot he was determined to get around without help - the doctor took lots of before and after photos - she seemed to be delighted to be dealing with something different.

The second drama was an airlift from the ship of a seriously ill passenger. We were just off the coast of Spain near La Coruna and we had to divert and a helicopter was sent to the ship - all this took place around midnight. A request had gone out for blood donors carrying their donor cards - my blood group wasn’t the one required but lots of people volunteered. Unfortunately they felt they had to get the passenger to a hospital on the main land - we did hear from the Captain the next day that he was doing well.
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Aurora - Spain/Italy/Croatia Part 1

Post by Kenmo1 »

We liked Wesley Dunlop. At some ports he used to stand at the bottom of the gangway and greet passengers as they got off. Always seemed very jolly.

Hope there are no more medical emergencies to come. Two by the time you've got to La Coruna is enough excitement to start a holiday with.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Never a dull moment with you Jan.

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Kenmo1 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 09:57
We liked Wesley Dunlop. At some ports he used to stand at the bottom of the gangway and greet passengers as they got off. Always seemed very jolly.

Hope there are no more medical emergencies to come. Two by the time you've got to La Coruna is enough excitement to start a holiday with.
The first emergency was the first day out and the second at La Coruna on the way home so well spaced out. The Captain was very jolly I must agree - he is Scottish apparently although I don't think it comes through in his accent - most Glaswegians sound as if they are speaking a foreign language :crazy:
Janis

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Looking forward to reading the rest Jan, I always enjoy your reviews.
Jo

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

So far, so good !

The Flyrights are excellent, aren't they

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 11:19
So far, so good !

The Flyrights are excellent, aren't they
Yes - really good entertainers - loved the dance routines too :clap:
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

What an eventful cruise. Glad your relative got the treatment he needed as it could have been very nasty indeed. And good that the passenger airlifted off was ok.

Looking forward to more.
Gill

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

GillD46 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 12:24
What an eventful cruise. Glad your relative got the treatment he needed as it could have been very nasty indeed. And good that the passenger airlifted off was ok.

Looking forward to more.
You are right Gill - my son's father in law is 82 and he was told if he had left it any longer the infection would have been more difficult to treat. He already takes medication from a heart attack 11 years ago and had been feeling off colour and shivery but this wasn't picked up. He really was in the best place - it was so easy to pop down to the medical centre for treatment and the staff there were absolutely marvellous.
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Good to hear.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 13:10
it was so easy to pop down to the medical centre for treatment and the staff there were absolutely marvellous.
... but expensive :shock:

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

david63 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 15:36
Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 13:10
it was so easy to pop down to the medical centre for treatment and the staff there were absolutely marvellous.
... but expensive :shock:
Every time they went down they had a bill - had a fistful by the end which added up to over four figures :sick:
Janis

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

since he had the problem before he went, will the travel insurance cover it?
Meg
x

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Meg 50 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 15:50
since he had the problem before he went, will the travel insurance cover it?
Well when he visited the walk-in centre they said they couldn't find anything wrong so hopefully they will accept this - goodness knows how long the thorn had been in his foot - watch this space. The doctor on the ship wrote a very detailed letter about the problem - let's hope that will do.
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Did the thorn go through his shoe or was he walking about in his bare feet / just socks someplace, never heard a cruising story quite like that one ... good luck with the Insurer.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Manoverboard wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 16:20
Did the thorn go through his shoe or was he walking about in his bare feet / just socks someplace, never heard a cruising story quite like that one ... good luck with the Insurer.

He doesn't walk around barefoot but wondered if he picked it up walking to the garage in his slippers or sandals where he keeps boots for cutting the grass and gardening - bit of a mystery really and since our return he has checked his shoes and slippers etc. to see if there is anything stuck in them but hasn't found anything. The thorn could have been there for quite a while - there was no puncture mark on the ball of his foot to indicate something had gone into his foot.
Janis

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

good luck with the Insurer
As has been said many times - this is where you find out how good (or bad) your insurance company is.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I read your first drama out to Mrs Barney, Jan and she wondered if you could post some photos of the gentleman's foot - before and after.

Seriously!

Gory or what ??? :crazy:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 17:12

He doesn't walk around barefoot but wondered if he picked it up walking to the garage in his slippers or sandals where he keeps boots for cutting the grass and gardening - bit of a mystery really and since our return he has checked his shoes and slippers etc. to see if there is anything stuck in them but hasn't found anything. The thorn could have been there for quite a while - there was no puncture mark on the ball of his foot to indicate something had gone into his foot.

Mrs S had a similar thing happen to her hand. Very recently had to have surgery to remove two small pieces of thorn from the back of her hand which she suspects got embedded while pruning a rose bush.

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

barney wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 10:01
I read your first drama out to Mrs Barney, Jan and she wondered if you could post some photos of the gentleman's foot - before and after.

Seriously!

Gory or what ??? :crazy:
Sorry to disappoint Mrs. B but I don't have any - thank goodness :lolno:
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Still have my fingers crossed for the insurance claim. I am sure there are so many ways they could wriggle out of paying up if they wanted to. Would it be really naughty not to mention that the problem began before you all got on board ?!

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:56
Still have my fingers crossed for the insurance claim. I am sure there are so many ways they could wriggle out of paying up if they wanted to. Would it be really naughty not to mention that the problem began before you all got on board ?!
Well the insurance have come up trumps. Son's father-in-law rang his insurers LV last Thursday and spoke to a very helpful lady - he answered all her questions - gave a day by day account of what happened and she said you'll have the money in three days. She didn't want to see the receipts or letter from the doctor on board but told him to keep them as back-up. I don't imagine he would have left out anything - he is scrupulously honest. Not sure if he's had the money yet - watch this space ;)
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That's terrific - and a really good testimonial for the insurers. Not sure I would have paid up !!!

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 09:05
That's terrific - and a really good testimonial for the insurers. Not sure I would have paid up !!!
But why not - it's not like having a pre-existing condition where you are taking medication to control it - that is fraud and avoiding paying any extra premium - this was entirely different - he didn't even know about the thorn until the doctor removed it. He does declare his heart condition and at 82 years of age I suppose to the insurers he is higher risk and certainly pays a hefty premium since he turned 80. It will be interesting now to see how much he has to pay when he has to renew his insurance.
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Calm down, calm down - only joking !!

I would have been just a little twitchy in his shoes (forgive the pun !) because he was aware of a problem (although it wasn't properly diagnosed) prior to embarkation and did not disclose it to the insurers.

Yes, to any right-thinking person, the insurance should cover the costs but I am sure there are some less scrupulous companies out there who would not pay up

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”