Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Summer 2019

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 16:42
Emailed to Christopher Edington at P&O.

"Dear Mr Edgington

I wonder if you are able to provide the straight answer that appears to elude your social media team?

We had been hoping to book a cruise on Adonia in 2019 but the ship has failed to appear on the Internet or in the brochure at your Summer 2019 launch.

The only response to questions is that itineraries are being finalised and will be released later in the year.

That is exactly the story that was told ahead of the announcement that she was going to Fathom.

As you will be aware it is very bad PR to be caught out lying to loyal customers. Being frank, even with bad news, is better for a company's reputation.

So please may I have a simple "yes" or "no" answer. Will Adonia be part of the P&O Cruises UK fleet for 2019? Then we can get on with our holiday planning and not have to wait until all the best deals for alternatives have gone."

I'll let you know his reply.

Dear Sirf Sir,

Thank you for your email.

Yes, she may be and no she may not be included in the future sailings program.

I trust that clarifies things for you.

We look forward to off-loading you soon.

Yours Sincerely.

Pee& :o
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Sep 2017, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Thanks Chris

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've just this minute been on the phone to Cruise Kings pre registering the Azura cruise in Sept 2019 that I mentioned the other day. I know I don't need to book this early, but I cant stop myself!

I hope they are not getting rid of Adonia, as I was hoping to give her a try one day. Perhaps she'd go to CMV or Fred?
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Happydays wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 16:16
GillD46 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 22:17
Happydays wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 19:21

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, we went there a few years ago stayed at Kota kinabalu and went to see the Orangutans at Sepiloc (hope you understand where I mean!)
It was a wonderful experience :) we also had other trips.
Yes we have booked the Shangri La Rasa Ria and plan to fly over to the other side to see the orangutans. We're really looking forward to it.
That's the same hotel we stayed at :clap:
My husband's niece stayed there last year and liked it, so hopefully we've made a good choice.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We really liked it when we stayed although it is a few years ago now. The service was very good. We had lovely sea views from our balcony.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Happydays wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 21:08
We really liked it when we stayed although it is a few years ago now. The service was very good. We had lovely sea views from our balcony.
We are big Shangri La fans and have stayed at several.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Emailed to Christopher Edgington at P&O.

"Dear Mr Edgington

I wonder if you are able to provide the straight answer that appears to elude your social media team?

We had been hoping to book a cruise on Adonia in 2019 but the ship has failed to appear on the Internet or in the brochure at your Summer 2019 launch.

The only response to questions is that itineraries are being finalised and will be released later in the year.

That is exactly the story that was told ahead of the announcement that she was going to Fathom.

As you will be aware it is very bad PR to be caught out lying to loyal customers. Being frank, even with bad news, is better for a company's reputation.

So please may I have a simple "yes" or "no" answer. Will Adonia be part of the P&O Cruises UK fleet for 2019? Then we can get on with our holiday planning and not have to wait until all the best deals for alternatives have gone."

Well to be fair to him he's replied very quickly.

"Mervyn

I am sorry to not be able to update you fully on Adonia for 2019 but we'll come back to you as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Christopher "

That's not a yes. Sadly it's hardly even a maybe. It doesn't repeat what may turn out to be lies from the Social Media team. So I think it's a no.

If even a P&O director is gagged from giving a straightforward answer I suspect Carnival Corp are pulling the strings.

Carnival: We want Adonia for another crackpot scheme.

P&O: But our customers love her.

Carnival: So? We want her. Tell your customers to s@d off. Other cruise lines which pay dividends to Carnival shareholders are available.

P&O: Okay we'll fudge it again

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 11:33

"Dear Mr Edgington

"Mervyn

I am sorry to not be able to update you fully on Adonia for 2019 but we'll come back to you as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Christopher "

That's not a yes. Sadly it's hardly even a maybe. It doesn't repeat what may turn out to be lies from the Social Media team. So I think it's a no.

If even a P&O director is gagged from giving a straightforward answer I suspect Carnival Corp are pulling the strings.

Carnival: So? We want her. Tell your customers to s@d off. Other cruise lines which pay dividends to Carnival shareholders are available.

Does your annoyance with P&O mean you might be more amenable to Celebrity in future?
Or why not try their sister line Azamara who have 2 almost identical ships to Adonia in their fleet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

In all fairness to CE it is probably sensitive commercial information at the moment - but it would seem that the "writing is on the wall"

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Agreed David. That's the impression I have

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 11:33

"Dear Mr Edgington

"Mervyn

Kind regards

Christopher "

Seems like my :sarcasm: email wasn't far out after all

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Pretty close!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 11:51
In all fairness to CE it is probably sensitive commercial information at the moment - but it would seem that the "writing is on the wall"
Adonia is scheduled for a refit in May 2019, so possibly it is the timing, location, scale and length of this refit that is holding up its 2019 summer schedule.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But they could simply say that and stop the speculation. That they don't says that's not the answer.

The only thing close to that might be an argument between P&O and Carnival about whether the cost was worth it or should they flog her instead?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 08 Sep 2017, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 23:12
Adonia is scheduled for a refit in May 2019, so possibly it is the timing, location, scale and length of this refit that is holding up its 2019 summer schedule.
I doubt it - refits are a "moveable feast" and unless there is something mechanical that needs doing she did not look in bad shape when we were on her in July.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That doesn't really hold up - she had a re-fit in Bermuda immediately before shipping off to fathom and then another spruce up before she came back to P&O. Hardly credible that they have booked her in again for 2019

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 15:17
That doesn't really hold up - she had a re-fit in Bermuda immediately before shipping off to fathom and then another spruce up before she came back to P&O. Hardly credible that they have booked her in again for 2019
Not quite that was a quick change of some things that had been added specially for its Fathom role. Anyway the May 2019 refit is still being listed by P&O on its website.
John

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well blow me down, I have booked for 2019 after all.

After spending a few days with friends we decided to pre register for around Britain cruise which includes the Faroe islands.

Never done that before so lots of new ports for me.

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm sure you'll love it Lindsey. We have done 4 Round Britains now and thoroughly enjoyed them all

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Whynd1 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:18

After spending a few days with friends we decided to pre register for around Britain cruise which includes the Faroe islands.

Lindsey
We went to the Faroes last week. Torshavn is a very pretty town, with brightly coloured houses, and the scenery is beautiful. Would like to visit again some day.
Gill

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Weve taken the plunge and pre registered for Azura Canaries ,October 19. oh well.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Gill W wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:44
Whynd1 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:18

Lindsey
We went to the Faroes last week. Torshavn is a very pretty town, with brightly coloured houses, and the scenery is beautiful. Would like to visit again some day.
We enjoyed the Faroes on an Aurora fjords and Iceland cruise.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We were considering an Aurora cruise as we have never sailed in her and she seems to be well liked on here. But after reading the most recent reviews on CC I am starting to have second thoughts, it seems she has lots of pinch points especially round the atrium, limited wheelchair seating in the theatre, no auto doors to the prom deck and overall is not as wheelchair friendly as I had hoped. However she is due a refit in March 2019 so should be refreshed, I wonder if they will put proper sized TV's in the cabins, some of the new phones have bigger screens?
Last edited by towny44 on 08 Sep 2017, 22:59, edited 2 times in total.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The pinch points round the atrium are largely due to the car boot sales! I'd just love someone to crash a sizeable wheelchair into one of the tables of tat and demolish it!

Return to “P&O”