Summer 2019

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Summer 2019

Post by david63 »

This is interesting more in what it does not say than what it does - https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... yment.html

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quite so. Funny the cruise press aren't all over it. Assuming we're speculating correctly it's really clumsy PR again! If she is going, why not just come right out and say it?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:21
Just spoken to reservations on the phone and "the company have given us no information".

If the news was reassuring I'm sure they would have been told so I assume Adonia is for the chop. Which is weird since her size is unique in the fleet. If they have an over capacity issue I would have thought they would have dumped Oriana which, while still popular, limps from port to port these days with expensive maintenance issues!

However, onwards and upwards. We've spotted a 7 nighter on Azura, which we haven't been on for a while, which goes to two ports we've never been to and covers our wedding anniversary. So we've pre-registered for a midships suite at a price which will leave us change for a balcony on Adonia later in the year if a miracle happens.
You are aware I assume that the Riviera midship suites have the big overhang above them, and noise issues from the Lido deck above.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We've been in one before for 2 nights on Ventura. No problem with the overhang as we're not sun worshippers and we didn't have a noise problem either. Anyway earplugs are cheap! And lack of motion is more important.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Totally Underwhelmed.
Mel

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Gill W wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:01
Before the new cruises were released, I was thinking about either Azura or Ventura as we haven't been on either for some time, and I was also interested in having some Greek ports.

The only one that fits the bill is Azura on 2/9/19, which includes Mykonos, Athens, Santorini and Katakolon.

Currently thinking about that one.
We are doing that one this year in fact less than 2 weeks.

8-) 8-)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

screwy wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 17:27
Totally Underwhelmed.

Same here. :thumbdown:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Same for me.
Shall not bother rushing to book this time.

Lindsey

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Yes we are the same, we are only booking 4 this time.

:) 8-) 8-) :)

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Have found a cruise on Oriana for Oct 19 which calls at Ibiza, Palma and Port Mahon, haven't been to any of these before and am looking at the round British isles cruise.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Very disappointed with the shrinking number of ports on a lot of Med cruises, only 6 on a 14nt cruise which compares poorly against 4 on a 7nt fjords cruise. We no longer take excursions or any long sight seeing trips, but the real beauty of cruising to us is waking to a new port most days, even if we only go ashore for a few hours.
These P&O itineraries compare poorly with Royal Caribbean, we will have 8 ports on our 14nt Canaries cruise in September.
John

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 08:40
Very disappointed with the shrinking number of ports
Not only that but there are more sea days. Just been looking at a Transatlantic Caribbean and Madeira is three days when it has been two/two and a half in the past - and crossing the "pond" is taking an extra day, presumably going slower to save fuel!

I would guess that the reduced ports is to keep costs down and increase on board spending - probably a sign of the times

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Good for those of us who like sea days !

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Very disappointed with the shrinking number of ports on a lot of Med cruises, only 6 on a 14nt cruise which compares poorly against 4 on a 7nt fjords cruise. We no longer take excursions or any long sight seeing trips, but the real beauty of cruising to us is waking to a new port most days, even if we only go ashore for a few hours.
These P&O itineraries compare poorly with Royal Caribbean, we will have 8 ports on our 14nt Canaries cruise in September.
You cannot compare a Canaries cruise with a Med one. Just looked at a P&O one which has 13 nights and 7 ports. Canaries cruises generally have more ports.

Anyway 14 nights and 6 ports is just about right. Dont want any more ports than that.

And of course you cannot compare a Fjords cruise with a Med one because of the distance to travel.

Just checked Princess, so you better have a go at them as well the three I looked at had 6 ports in 14 nights.

Our first cruise on Aurora in 2001 had 6 ports as well that was to the Med and was for 14 nights.
Last edited by daib GC on 05 Sep 2017, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 10:20
You cannot compare a Canaries cruise with a Med one. Just looked at a P&O one which has 13 nights and 7 ports. Canaries cruises generally have more ports.

Anyway 14 nights and 6 ports is just about right. Dont want any more ports than that.

And of course you cannot compare a Fjords cruise with a Med one because of the distance to travel.
A very good forward defensive stroke Dai, but you'll never score runs that way. :sarcasm: :lol:
John

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 10:24
daib GC wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 10:20

A very good forward defensive stroke Dai, but you'll never score runs that way. :sarcasm: :lol:
Not defending just proving you wrong.

8-) 8-)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

5 ports on our 10 night Celebrity cruise to Spain and Canaries in 30 days time.

Fist time with Celebrity so will be interesting to compare.
Last edited by Stephen on 05 Sep 2017, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

This old ports chestnut comes up time and time again. Fuel costs have rocketed so the choice is:

1. Put up prices a lot to cover it
2. Travel slower which means either fewer ports or a shorter time in each.

Not so long ago good old Calamity Towny was moaning that P&O had cut time in ports and I pointed out that on a similar itinerary Calamity had one fewer ports than P&O. Now there's a problem with P&O reducing the ports apparently, when it was okay for Calamity to do so.

Really Towny you need to remember my old slogan - "other cruise lines are available".

If someone else really is better than P&O book with them! It's a free world.

I have no problem with someone else preferring a different cruise line. Just wish you'd follow your words with action like I have Towny. I won't go on Calamity ever again so really can't be arsed to examine their schedules for gripes!

p.s. to prove I don't think P&O are perfect by the way (though they suit me) I do think their PR dept are rubbish. They haven't replied to my "Is Adonia still in the fleet in 2019, yes or no?" question. Since it would have been very easy to type the word "yes" I think we can all safely assume the answer is no, which is a real shame for the Adonia fans.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 05 Sep 2017, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 11:11
Since it would have been very easy to type the word "yes"
Probably cannot manage such a big word and to type"No" could later be proven to be untrue :sarcasm: :moresarcasm: :sarcasm: :moresarcasm:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

This old ports chestnut comes up time and time again. Fuel costs have rocketed so the choice is:

1. Put up prices a lot to cover it
2. Travel slower which means either fewer ports or a shorter time in each.

Not so long ago good old Calamity Towny was moaning that P&O had cut time in ports and I pointed out that on a similar itinerary Calamity had one fewer ports than P&O. Now there's a problem with P&O reducing the ports apparently, when it was okay for Calamity to do so.

Really Towny you need to remember my old slogan - "other cruise lines are available".

If someone else really is better than P&O book with them! It's a free world.

I have no problem with someone else preferring a different cruise line. Just wish you'd follow your words with action like I have Towny. I won't go on Calamity ever again so really can't be arsed to examine their schedules for gripes!

p.s. to prove I don't think P&O are perfect by the way (though they suit me) I do think their PR dept are rubbish. They haven't replied to my "Is Adonia still in the fleet in 2019, yes or no?" question. Since it would have been very easy to type the word "yes" I think we can all safely assume the answer is no, which is a real shame for the Adonia fans.
Did you get out the wrong side of the bed this morning Merv?
I don't ever remember complaining about too little time in the ports, as we rarely go ashore for more than 3 hours, what I have commented about is late stays, and silly overnights where you arrive and leave mid-day.
As far as these new cruises go I merely pointed out that a lot now only had 6 ports on a 14nt Med cruise, rather than the usual 7,which in the case of one we were looking at seemed due to a late stay in Barcelona. For us late stays are a bit pointless, but I do accept that others enjoy them.
As regards choosing cruise lines, check my signature on CC and you will see that most of ours are now on P&O, which clearly means I find them acceptable, even if by no means perfect. :sarcasm:
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 11:31
Since it would have been very easy to type the word "yes"
Probably cannot manage such a big word and to type"No" could later be proven to be untrue :sarcasm: :moresarcasm: :sarcasm: :moresarcasm:
Well we booked the Azura suite (for about £1400 less than an Adonia suite at 2018 prices!) so it's win win win.

We fancied another trip on Azura sometime soon (to collect our royalties cheque - NOT!)

We've saved money

And what we've saved will go a long way to 7 nights in a balcony cabin on Adonia if my cynicism proves wrong and she reappears!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

My deepest apologies Towny for mistaking your post for a whinge about P&O!

And no. I would have had to climb over Trish to get out the wrong side and might have spilt the tea getting back in!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 05 Sep 2017, 12:19
My deepest apologies Towny for mistaking your post for a whinge about P&O!
S
And no. I would have had to climb over Trish to get out the wrong side and might have spilt the tea getting back in!
It was definitely a whinge Merv, but probably not a show stopper just, Oh I do wish P&O was more like Celebrity. :sarcasm: 8-)
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You're so predictable Towny. Which is why we love you really.

So here, in advance, but I'll start it now, is my New Years Resolution for 2018, which will save me about 4 hours a week to do other things.

I will never again respond to your criticisms of P&O or the BBC, nor your praise for Calamity.

You'll never change your mind and you're entitled your opinions, you poor misguided fool!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 05 Sep 2017, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Nothing that grabs me from Cunard or P&O, so we'll look elsewhere and have some land holidays as well.
Gill

Return to “P&O”