Post by stocktonmackem2 »

towny44 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 12:03
stocktonmackem2 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 11:42
towny44 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 08:54
barney wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 11:50
Yes it is John !

We have booked C254

See you on board :thumbup:

There are a few port that we haven't done before so will be interesting.
Looks like we will be next door but one neighbours Barney, we are in C302 an accessible cabin, keep a lookout for me pushing my wife's red wheelchair.
We are on that one as well. x
I think this was the cruise where my TA got your favourite cabin first?
You are right John, just hope I remember I am on the opposite side and don't try to get into your cabin. Fortunately I managed to get the cabins I wanted for 2019. Looking forward to seeing what gets done in the refit.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Smurfie Live from N729

Post by david63 »

Thursday 2nd November

Another sea day before we reach the Canaries. The weather was not conducive to siting out much – too windy so as usual everyone is milling around inside. When you look in the Horizon there appears to be a lot going on until you realise that half of the “activities” are ploys to get you to part with some more money.

Tonight was the second Black Tie night and once again the dress code was well observed. It is also good to see that in venues where the dress code is required and not observed that passengers are asked to leave. The entertainment tonight was the second show by The Revolvers – although it was good the general consensus was that it was not as good as the first show (which I find is often the case). On the point of entertainment, so far on this cruise all of the entertainers and shows are new – well at least new to us, so perhaps the message is getting through to P&O that there need to be some “new blood”

Friday 3rd November

Today was our first port of call in the Canaries being Santa Cruz in Tenerife. Our plan here was to use the HoHo to see the town.

The day started out quite warm, bordering on hot, so off we go to find the HoHo. It was about a 20 minute walk from the ship to the town centre where we were told that you could not miss the HoHo ticket booth. It was not so much as missing the ticket booth as not being able to find it. Anyway after a bit of marching up and down we eventually came across it and off we went. We hopped on and that was it – no hopping off until we arrived back as there really was not that much to hop off for. Overall it was something of an expensive disappointment.

By now the predictable Tenerife cloud was starting to appear and there not being much of interest we headed back to the ship. I have to say that whilst Santa Cruz was a pleasant little place it cannot be counted as one of the better places that I have visited.

Now we come to P&O at its best. Tonight was Tropical night – what? There is no Tropical night on this cruise. There is a 60’s/70’s night – no there isn’t. In the pre cruise brochure we were supposed to have a 60’s/70’s night which I suspect should have been one of the nights when The Revolvers were performing but due to excellent organisation somebody arranged for them to perform on Halloween and on a Black Tie night! So what do we get in place – a Tropical night in Tenerife!

To be continued …

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

– a Tropical night in Tenerife!. go for it, I would not let 4 deg get in the way.
Don't worry, be happy

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 04 Nov 2017, 16:34

Now we come to P&O at its best. Tonight was Tropical night – what? There is no Tropical night on this cruise. There is a 60’s/70’s night – no there isn’t. In the pre cruise brochure we were supposed to have a 60’s/70’s night which I suspect should have been one of the nights when The Revolvers were performing but due to excellent organisation somebody arranged for them to perform on Halloween and on a Black Tie night! So what do we get in place – a Tropical night in Tenerife!
We had exactly the same lash-up on Adonia in July. No Tropical Night mentioned in the pre-cruise info, Tropical Night listed in the cruise overview and then absolutely no mention of a Tropical Night on the day in Horizon. Probably about 1% of passengers observed the theme but everyone else totally surprised to find a Lei on their place setting at dinner !

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

There seems to be a lack of communication from Southampton to the ships. On our last Adonia cruise, no Black and White evening listed. I thought that very strange on a 14 night cruise so took my black and white jacket just in case. Was there a Black and White evening - yes. Was anyone dressed for it - the Officers and entertainment staff, me and a handful of others.

Carole

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Saturday 4th November

Today was a bit of a washout – literally. We awoke to find ourselves docking in Las Palmas in Gran Canaria and with quite a bright and sunny day. We had not made any definite plans as to what to do today but had tentatively thought about the HoHo again, but after yesterday’s disappointment were having second thoughts and eventually decided against it – others who went on the HoHo said it was OK and there were a couple of places to get off but they did not think that it was worth the €20 cost.

So we looked at the map and decided that we would walk to the other side of the island (all of about a mile) and then walk along by the beach. This was all going according to plan with a pleasant walk through the main street with Saturday market stalls displaying their wares until it started to rain, and by rain I mean real, proper wet rain. Fortunately we were able to find some shelter but after about 20 minutes when the rain eased off slightly we made our way back to the ship. The rest of the day was very cloudy with the occasional shower and not really conducive to walking around. What bit we did see we thought was more attractive that where we were yesterday (but having said that it would not be difficult!)

The food, so far, has been OK – the menus are still very similar to those of last year and the quality is reasonably good, bearing in mind the numbers that they are catering for.

Tonight’s show was Roy Locke (another new act) with “Magic of the Musicals” – somehow he just did not “click” with either of us even though there was no denying that he has a good voice.

Sunday 5th November

Another day – another Canaries Island – this time La Palma. Today we had booked to go on the Trolley Train and Walking Tour excursion. Being Sunday and having an early start (08:30) much of the town was deserted for the first hour or so. We did, of course, have to have the obligatory stop at a local restaurant but as there was “free” wine on offer (at 09:30) it would have seemed somewhat churlish to have declined. Overall this was an excellent tour with a very informative guide whose English was also excellent – it is a pleasure to see that P&O excursions have moved into the 21st Century and are now using the little radio receivers that other tour groups have been using for years.

The weather today was fairly mush like the other recent days in that it started off quite bright and then part way into the excursion the heavens opened to the be followed by some bright warm sunshine and then to have the usual afternoon cloud.

The big disappointment today was that there was no bonfire up on deck, nor any fireworks!!

Tonight’s show by the Headliners was “Destination Dance” – not a totally new show but did have a few new parts to it.

Monday 6th November

Today is our last port before heading back to Southampton and is Funchal in Madeira. Last night, for the first time this cruise, the sea was a bit on the choppy side but nothing too serious even being at the back of the ship.

Since our last visit here there seems to have been a lot of work done to the port area – the terminal is now finished and the whole area has been tidied up somewhat, even the old “galleon” that has been at the entrance to the post has been moved. I also noticed that there is a massive new hotel (or possibly apartment) complex being built just overlooking the port entrance. I don’t know if P&O have come into some money but our berth was right at the end of the port – almost in the little tunnel!

Our master plan for today was to walk to the Cable Car lift and go up to the top and then go round the Botanical Gardens. So off we set with an early start to try and avoid the inevitable crowds that would be at the cable car once the excursions got there. All went according to plan, we got to the cable car, bought our tickets, got to the top and duly marched off to what we both thought were the Botanical Gardens only to find that they are the Tropical Gardens. Anyway we were directed as to where to go for the Botanical Gardens which involves another cable car journey and eventually arriving at the Botanical Gardens. I have to say that this really is a “hidden gem” and although we probably did not see them at their best the gardens are quite spectacular. A word of warning – these gardens are not suitable for those with walking disabilities as there are a lot of steep slopes/steps involved in getting from one level to another.

After an hour or so around the Botanical Gardens we made our way back to the small cable car that takes us to the big cable car and then the half an hour’s walk back to the ship. By this time the sun was “cracking the flags” and by the time we were back there was sun on our balcony. This is without doubt the best day’s weather we have had this cruise.

Tonight we once again ate in the Epicurean and were pleased to see that there were far more passengers using it that last week – and the meal and service, as always, was excellent. One advantage of eating in the Epicurean tonight was that we missed the show in the theatre – it was Roy Walker (I thought he had retired years ago!)

To be continued …

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 11:45
Saturday 4th November

Today was a bit of a washout – literally. We awoke to find ourselves docking in Las Palmas in Gran Canaria and with quite a bright and sunny day. We had not made any definite plans as to what to do today but had tentatively thought about the HoHo again, but after yesterday’s disappointment were having second thoughts and eventually decided against it – others who went on the HoHo said it was OK and there were a couple of places to get off but they did not think that it was worth the €20 cost.

So we looked at the map and decided that we would walk to the other side of the island (all of about a mile) and then walk along by the beach. This was all going according to plan with a pleasant walk through the main street with Saturday market stalls displaying their wares until it started to rain, and by rain I mean real, proper wet rain. Fortunately we were able to find some shelter but after about 20 minutes when the rain eased off slightly we made our way back to the ship. The rest of the day was very cloudy with the occasional shower and not really conducive to walking around. What bit we did see we thought was more attractive that where we were yesterday (but having said that it would not be difficult!)

The food, so far, has been OK – the menus are still very similar to those of last year and the quality is reasonably good, bearing in mind the numbers that they are catering for.

Tonight’s show was Roy Locke (another new act) with “Magic of the Musicals” – somehow he just did not “click” with either of us even though there was no denying that he has a good voice.
Bad luck with the beach walk at Las Canteras - this was Christmas Eve last year....

IMG_5839.JPG

We have seen your Roy Locke a couple of times over the past year or two and he had exactly the same act and stories to tell each time. As you say, a good voice, but that little extra spark seems to be missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That big new hotel is the new Savoy. The old one had structural problems which resulted in demolition and plans for the new hotel. Sadly the man whose plan it was died and with him the project. So it was just a large hole in the ground for a few years. But now someone new has bought it and development is moving apace. And you're right. It's huge!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

And on the gardens our favourite is the Tropical one you arrived at first. Also needs mountaineering skills to get round it! But so does almost everything in Madeira!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I presume he means Monte Palace. The two are very different but I would find it difficult to choose between them

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Tuesday 7th November

Another “lumpy” sea during the night which lasted for the duration of the day. The day got off to a somewhat bad start as there had been a power failure which knocked out all of the galleys resulting in there being no hot food, or drinks, for breakfast! This is the second power cut that we have had – the first being at around 18:00 the other evening which knocked the whole ship out for about five minutes before the emergency generators kicked in. We were in port at the time so there were the comments that “it must just be local because the rest of the town is still lit up”!!!

Due to the weather conditions there was not much going on outside which resulted in everyone milling around inside which was not helped by “Paddy’s Market” being in full swing and the grand “End of Season Sale”. It is time that they stopped all the tat stalls around the Atrium – it does nothing for the flow of passengers.

An added bonus was that this afternoon there was sun on the balcony and it was warm enough to be able to sit out and/or sleep for a couple of hours.

The meal tonight was mediocre (at best). I cannot recall being on a table on a cruise where so many plates have been sent back due to poor quality or incorrect order (well done steak when medium was requested). There was another new show tonight from the Headliners (there are 14 in this troupe) called “Paradise City” which was a rock show. The problem was that whilst the show itself had potential there was something lacking – probably the fact that the cast were not rock singers.

OK moan time. Why do they have to serve drinks in the theatre during the first 10 minutes or so of the show. You are sat there and there are waiters bobbing about trying to serve drinks to those who have ordered them and then getting the signatures for them. Surely someone could use a bit of common sense and say that they don’t take any orders 15 minutes before the start of the show – I don’t see why people cannot last 45 minutes without a drink.

To be continued

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

qbman1 wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 09:20
I presume he means Monte Palace. The two are very different but I would find it difficult to choose between them
That's the one.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 8th November

Another sea day returning to Southampton. Again it was a bit “lumpy” overnight and during the day – the main difference to yesterday was that it was not as warm, nor sunny and the wind was a lot stronger.

Didn’t really do very much today, basically because there was nothing going on around the ship that appealed to us.

Tonight was the last Black Tie night and once again the standard of adherence was very high – in fact even on casual nights the standard of dress has been good. It was also good to see that those who tried to enter Metropolis incorrectly attired were very quickly evicted.

Thursday 9th November

The sea swell was not as bad during the night (in fact it has not really been bad at all!) and once we entered the BoB it became almost calm. We had an added bonus in that the sun came out in the late morning and we were able to sit out on the balcony for an hour or so.

Being the last day it was the inevitable packing operation to be carried out. One slight change in the luggage instructions was that “most” of your luggage was to be out by 20:30 with the remainder before you retire for the night – I could not believe how many misread that and had all their luggage out by 20:30 and were going around all night in their “going home” clothes.

There were quite a few empty places in the dining room tonight – presumably the “tight wads” found alternative dining venues. Another old show that had had a makeover tonight was the Headliners “Reel to Reel” – have seen this before but this was somewhat different to what I can remember – it was OK but the backing was drowning out the singing.

Friday 10th November

Disembarkation day – and probably one of, if not the, best disembarkations ever. We were off the ship about 08:15, in the car around 08:30 and back home by 13:00.

Final Thoughts

This cruise was never about the itinerary but was just a required break and rest from what has been happening this year. As I said at the start we had some apprehensions about Ventura but are pleased to say that they were unfounded – in fact Ventura is probably one of our favourite ships and for some inexplicable reason we prefer her to Azura. There were quite a few children on board and there was no problems with them (or at least none that we were aware of) but I am not sure that I would want to sail on Ventura in the middle of the school holidays – having said that I doubt that I would sail on any of the family friendly ships during the main school holidays.

The entertainment has been amongst the best that we have seen on P&O in many a year with many new shows and acts, but unfortunately the same cannot be said of the food. Whilst I fully accept that not all dishes on all menus are going to be to everyone’s liking the quality of the food, in my opinion, has deteriorated over the last couple of years.

The most disappointing thing about this cruise was that the weather was not as good as we had hoped for despite the last few days.

Would we sail on Ventura again? Without hesitation.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Nice one David, good to see a positive report of Ventura, not been on her since the 180 bash. As with all cruises, the weather can be a big bonus.
Don't worry, be happy

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome home. Sorry about the mess in your house....................................
.............................Mob did it!!! :angel: :angel: :angel:
:lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 16:28
Wednesday 8th November ... There were quite a few empty places in the dining room tonight – presumably the “tight wads” found alternative dining venues ...
Not all of them would be " tight wads / tip dodgers ", I venture to suggest. Some like wot we do would opt to have a Steak n Chips on our last day and others would doubtless dress down and head for relaxed ' ambience ' of the buffet.

ps ... welcome back and ... ever so sorry :cry:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 14:50
david63 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 16:28
Wednesday 8th November ... There were quite a few empty places in the dining room tonight – presumably the “tight wads” found alternative dining venues ...
Not all of them would be " tight wads / tip dodgers ", I venture to suggest. Some like wot we do would opt to have a Steak n Chips on our last day and others would doubtless dress down and head for relaxed ' ambience ' of the buffet.

ps ... welcome back and ... ever so sorry :cry:
Surely there is plenty of scope within the "smart casual" dress code to dress down for dinner in the MDR on the last night - and if I wanted to experience a "relaxed ambience" the last place I would go is the buffet !! You can always get steak and chips in the MDR if that is your heart's desire.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

If some of the passengers "dressed down" any more on this cruise they would have been in their pyjamas :crazy: :crazy:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I'm afraid I'm one of those who gets their cases out by 20.30 and wanders around in their 'going home' clothes rather than faffing around and finishing off packing cases at midnight. I would much rather do that and have the job done so the staff can have the cases all gathered up as early as possible.
That said I still aim to look presentable otherwise 'er indoors wouldn't let me out!!! Some do look as though they have just come off the garden and that's mid cruise!!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

oldbluefox wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 12:55
I'm afraid I'm one of those who gets their cases out by 20.30 and wanders around in their 'going home' clothes rather than faffing around and finishing off packing cases at midnight. I would much rather do that and have the job done so the staff can have the cases all gathered up as early as possible.
That said I still aim to look presentable otherwise 'er indoors wouldn't let me out!!! Some do look as though they have just come off the garden and that's mid cruise!!!
I do the same, Foxy, but that's still no reason to forsake the MDR for the Bunfight....sorry, buffet

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 12:51
If some of the passengers "dressed down" any more on this cruise they would have been in their pyjamas :crazy: :crazy:
Just one word....

"Ventura" !

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

qbman1 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 13:01

I do the same, Foxy, but that's still no reason to forsake the MDR for the Bunfight....sorry, buffet
Nay lad, I still go into the MDR with head held smugly high, having left my tips on.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

....and wearing your sloppy cardy ready for the long slog home !

blodwyn
Cadet
Cadet

Post by blodwyn »

We were on this cruise-agree that the entertainment was very good-favorites Roy Locke and Roy Walker.
The dining experience was a real let down but saved by the lunchtime curries and sirloin steaks at dinner.
We enjoyed ourselves and booked on board for our next cruise-back to the good old Arcadia!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

qbman1 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 13:55
....and wearing your sloppy cardy ready for the long slog home !
That's to cover the fact my trousers which did fit a couple of weeks previously don't fasten up properly any more. :oops:

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”