Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's final report

Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's final report

Post by JenniC »

Monday 11th to Friday 15th February, St. Kitts, Dominica and Tortola.
Spent whole dayin St. Kitts at South Friars beach? Since our last visit, they have built a new restaurant -Carabana - the opposite end from the Shipwreck bar, with facilities equal o a 4/5 star hotel. OK so not the authentic Caribbean isolated beach but we hired a very comfortable sunned with thick mattress and umbrella, had loads of showers, first class toilet facilities and waiter service on the beach. Lunch was very good indeed, so a nice day of luxury. The snorkelling on the shallow reef just off the shore was very good, loads of fish of varying sizes, starfish and turtles. A good sailway, as the Emerald Princess was in with us so a lot of flag waving and singing as we said goodbye.

In Dominca, we did the Favourites of Dominica tour, through the botanical gardens, up to the rain forest to the falls - bus broke down - but a replacement was soon with us.Then on to the Emerald Pool, a bit of a hike but worth it. It rained - but it was the rain forest and it was hot! Back in port, it was a public holiday and carnival day and what a parade we were treated to - have never been to Notting Hill carnival, but people were saying it was better than that - loud, colourful and very, very friendly - brilliant........

In Tortola, we took a trip to Jost Van Dyke and again spent the morning in the sea - very pretty bay, with powder white sand. Loads of brown pelicans have us a wonderful fishing exhibition! This coupled with a lovely journey from Tortola and a great crew on the catamaran made it a great trip - a definate "must come back some day" one for me. For ease, we jumped in one of the brightly coloured buses and went to Cane Garden Bay for a couple of hours in the afternoon, a nightmare as really busy and with the Costa Lumosa In port as well - it was very noisy with a lot of animated Italians on the beach :shock:

Can't remember what night we did what, but we saw a couple of Headliners shows, which were average at best. Steve Larkin as Freddy Mercury - very good. Tucker - a comedian I found very funny indeed. A very low key Tropical night, not well adververtised so consequently not well attended, although it was very windy on deck that night. Oh yeah and my mission was completed on Tuesday night when we, along with 4 others won the quiz with a fantastic 44/45 points.

As I write this report, in bed, we are in Barabdos and Steve is on his way down to sort out the immigration formalities. We leave Ventura at 12:30 and will be back on the UK around 5 am tomorrow.

CRUSE SUMMARY
FOOD
Good to average in MDR, cut backs include steak no longer being an option if you don't like what is on the menu, choice of vegetables limited and all in all a little bit repetitive.

Buffet was always good, with a wide choice - but people still save seats with a bag, an orange juice etc. I REFUSE to do this and Steve and I get our food together, find a seat together and eat together and it was never, ever a problem. We laugh at the couples who do the Waterside relay :lol: as we nicknamed it - one of them (2nd leg) sits down and saves the seats, the other (1st leg) gets their food and comes back and as the tray touches the table, the 2nd leg gets up and goes and get their food ... however we did witness some illegal "change overs" where the second leg were on their way to the buffet before the 1st tray was on the table.

The one meal we had in Ramblas

Excellent in Beach House

SERVICE - Very good, apart from Reception which leaves a lot to be desired

CABIN - no issues at all, was apprehensive about an inside, but did not really miss balcony, as I did not use it as much as Steve. Also made the days longer as we tended to get up earlier and go on deck. Our cabin steward Rajeesh was the best, always willing to help, great sense of humour and always smiling. Nominated him as Employee of the Month..

ENTERTAINMENT - Guest acts on the whole were good, however for the first time ever I was not impressed with the entertainment team or the Headliners shows. Entertainment needs a complete refresh as do the shows, as out of all of them there was only one we had not seen and one was revamped. It just seems very disjointed and unorganised this time.

SUNBEDS - I accept that they are packed in and I accept that towels will be on them if the occupants are swimming or perhaps have gone for a short walk. BUT P&O have to do something about the number of beds that are saved before breakfast, it is ridiculous - again something we refuse to do, The couple we met had a good suggestion I.e. that a couple of crew members should patrol the decks, with shirts on saying "bed patrol" which would put people off of leaving them saved for pong period sof time and that ALL towels on sunbeds that are unattended before 9am should immediately be removed by the crew - I would hazard a guess that not many people are really using them before this time!
VENTURA OVERALL - now looking a bit tired and definately in need of her refit. Endless pool was now endless with machine not working all of the cruise! Some showers not working, iron in launderette broken etc........

CRUISE OVERALL
Very good and we had a fabulous time, but then we always do. However, the back to back just does not work, the middle Friday on board is awful with not much going on, continual tanoy announcements and overall mayhem. Evening is very disorganised and communication on what is happening is poor, no wonder they have changed back to the normal 14 days next year. That said we met some lovely people and as always the Caribbean did not fail WOW us and to make us smile. Would still go back on Ventura and little issues where still not enough to make us change cruise lines - especially when we asked to other paxs about other ships they had been on - overall opinion seemed very much in favour of good old P&O.

Now in the cruise terminal in Barbados for some last minute purchases -hope you have enjoyed my reports.. Will be back on duty looking after the Ships forum from Sunday - hope you have all behaved yourselves and not given the admin team too much grief in my absence......... Bye bye..
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's final report

Post by oldbluefox »

Looking forward to your return but have enjoyed reading your reports. I did have a laugh at your experiences of the relay in the buffet - so true!!
Hope you have a good journey home and look forward to hearing from you.

Foxy

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great report Jenni. Glad you still enjoyed Ventura. We are looking forward to our Azura cruise. In 5 weeks and your reports whetted our appetite even more.

The 7 day turnaround was because Azura should have been on a world cruise instead of in the Caribbean. Once it was changed it was too late to change Venturas 7 day turnaround so Azura had to do the same but on a Thursday. As you say thank goodness it has changed for the 2013/2014 season.

Hope you have a safe trip home.

Sue

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Back home in Surrey, landed at 05:05 indoors at 07:15 :D - it's bl***y cold!!!! Going to bed for a couple of hours and then will start to tackle washing. Will catch up on all the forum news tomorrow.
Jenni

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

JenniC wrote:
Back home in Surrey, landed at 05:05 indoors at 07:15 :D - it's bl***y cold!!!! Going to bed for a couple of hours and then will start to tackle washing. Will catch up on all the forum news tomorrow.

You think THIS is cold...it's positively tropical compared to much of the past 2 weeks! :(

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

JenniC wrote:
Erm - shouldn't that be
Going to bed for a couple of hours and then will catch up on all the forum news. Will start to tackle washing tomorrow.
:?: :?:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You tell her, David. We've been snowed under here, keeping the ship afloat whilst she's been away enjoying herself!! :lol: :lol:

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Enjoyed reading the reports. We did a 7 day back to back system on OV & the atmosphere on the ship totally changed on changeover day.
I must say though I don't agree with this perception that a couple going to the buffet in relays is wrong, I am not prepared to wander the buffet with a plate of hot food looking for a seat, I didn't think anyone did once they realised that you may not get a seat. We go to the buffet & find a seat, one of us sits down while the other gets something, when the first person gets back the other goes, just common sense to me.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

This is one of the reasons we don't often use the buffet. Hate walking round with a tray and food going cold looking for a table.

Room service or MDR for breakfast, pizza place or MDR for lunch. The only time we use buffet for evening meal is on Indian night.

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

It is not just on ships we don't save seats, we have never done it, garden centres, M&S etc. many a time I have struggled to find a seat in M&S cafe because they are being saved and if you are on your own you cannot save them, so I just do not think it is right and I have never had a problem finding a seat on the ships - I may have to walk to next buffet area, but always find one and we prefer to eat together - just a matter of preference :D
Jenni

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Welcome home Jenni and thanks for the reports

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Welcome home - and just be glad you didn't get back this time last week ... now THAT was cold! Lovely and warm today :D
Angela

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for the reports Jenni :)

Re the buffet - on Ventura (and Azura) the seat finding thing is just not a problem, as far as I can see. If you can't find a seat in Waterside, all you need to do is walk through to Beach House, there's always seats in there
Gill

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Gill W wrote:
Thanks for the reports Jenni :)

Re the buffet - on Ventura (and Azura) the seat finding thing is just not a problem, as far as I can see. If you can't find a seat in Waterside, all you need to do is walk through to Beach House, there's always seats in there
My point exactly Gill and means Steve and I eat together which we prefer ;)
Jenni

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

JenniC wrote:
It is not just on ships we don't save seats, we have never done it, garden centres, M&S etc. many a time I have struggled to find a seat in M&S cafe because they are being saved and if you are on your own you cannot save them, so I just do not think it is right and I have never had a problem finding a seat on the ships - I may have to walk to next buffet area, but always find one and we prefer to eat together - just a matter of preference :D
It's not "saving seats" it's just common sense to me, we do the same ashore. Only using two seats after all, is it ok if you both get a coffee then sit down, then one gets something to eat?

Mrs007
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mrs007 »

Welcome back Jenni and Steve, thanks for the reports it's been great following your time in the Caribbean. :thumbup:

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

Jenni, enjoyed your reports, helps us relive our time on Ventura last November. We are back on board next November and Tortola is on our Itinerary. Looking to do Jost van Dyke this time and was wondering did you do a P&O excursion or was it DIY?
Thanks Phil

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

SueandPhil wrote:
Looking to do Jost van Dyke this time and was wondering did you do a P&O excursion or was it DIY?
Thanks Phil
We did the P&O tour as JVD is a 50 mins+ journey from the port by fast catamaran and not sure about the ferry timings and would hate to miss the ship :( The only issue with the trip is that you only get 2 a 2.5 hours on the beach and it is such wonderful powder white sand that I could have stayed all day. IMO though the trip was still worth it, it is predominantly a beach trip, the sea can have a bit of a swell, but that made being in the sea a bit of fun. The cat anchors off shore and you get a little barge in to the beach and then walk down a ramp into the sea (ankle deep) to get off. Lots of brown pelicans around and one landed about 2 metres from me in the sea! Trip includes a sunbed, a burger or hotdog and a drink on shore and a rum punch on the way back. We had a great fun (and fit :lol:) crew on the cat. Journey to and from port is WOW with some great views of the other BVIs. Hope this helps.
Jenni

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

Thanks Jenni that helps tremendously. We did Virgin Gorda last year with P&O for much the same reasons. Don't mind paying that little extra sometimes for the peace of mind
Phil

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

Hi Jenni - Thank you for taking the time to write ALL your reports. Have enjoyed reading every post. Will be flying out next Friday to join Ventura, 3rd time in the Caribbean on her. So looking forward to it now, as you have certainly put me in the mood hearing all about your cruise. :D

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Maritqos wrote:
Hi Jenni - Thank you for taking the time to write ALL your reports. Have enjoyed reading every post. Will be flying out next Friday to join Ventura, 3rd time in the Caribbean on her. So looking forward to it now, as you have certainly put me in the mood hearing all about your cruise. :D
Great - just when I was getting over being back I read this I am so jealous! Seriously have a great time, I know you will enjoy all those fabulous islands :D
Jenni

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

Thanks Jenni - don't want to make you more envious :D :D but my case is packed, all we have to do now is turn up at the airport tomorrow morning :P :P

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Have a fabulous time :D
Jenni

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »