Celebrity Speakers on Princess

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Celebrity Speakers on Princess

Post by Kenmo1 »

We are cruising with Princess in October and have received an e-mail from them this morning listing the celebrity guest speakers who will be on the Sapphire Princess during the year. They are as follows - Ashley Taylor, Actor/Singer from Hollyoaks and Strictly Come Dancing (May 5th cruise), Harry Redknapp, Football Manager and former pro footballer (May 12th cruise), Beverley Callard, actress who plays Liz McDonald in Coronation Street (May 26th cruise), James Cosmo, actor from Braveheart, Wonder Woman, Trainspotting and Game of Thrones (June 16th cruise), Jimmy McKenna, actor from A Touch of Frost and Hollyoaks (June 23rd cruise), Paul Burrell RVM, butler to Princess Di,(July 21st cruise), Nick Pickard, actor from Hollyoaks (July 28th cruise), actress Linda Gray who played Sue Ellen in Dallas ( July 28th cruise), former Beatle drummer Pete Best (August 18th cruise), former Olympic skier Eddie the Eagle (Sept 1st cruise), snooker player and commentator John Virgo (Sept 8th cruise), and the one we will have Ann Widdecombe, former Conservative politician (Oct.9th cruise).
I'm pleased we have Ann Widdecombe. I find her very interesting. Who would you most like to hear? I'm sure most of the men will say Harry Redknapp. Maureen
Last edited by Kenmo1 on 21 Jan 2018, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Celebrity Speakers on Princess

Post by colin parry »

I think you have the best of a mediocre bunch. Footballers generally can be a bit foul mouthed although I would guess Harry Rednapp is not in that category. Over the years I have heard many footballers and the outstanding one was Alan Mullery, an absolute gent.Of the best I have heard are Paul Atterbury, Chris Lubbe, who was Nelson Mandela bodyguard and Commander Rick Jolly of Falklands war fame who sadly died last week.
I am on X806 like you Maureen and I hope we get some decent speakers. Incidentally, the excursions are now on CP.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's still better than most P and O cruises. There offerings have been poor. They tend to do about three talks with a similar theme. If like me you are not interested in the history of ships or aircraft then you've lost your speaker for that cruise.

Lindsey

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hi Colin - We are really looking forward to the cruise in April. There are a few new ports on X806 for us although the friends we cruise with have been to all of them so will be able to guide us around. We also have another cruise on Oriana in a few weeks time - it is one of the replacement cruises after the refit, hopefully no problems.

I like Harry Redknapp and I think he would be very interesting but I think his voice would put me to sleep in about 5 minutes (it doesn't take much for me to nod off in the theatre). One of the best speakers we have had was on the last cruise and that was John Lyons who played Sergeant George Toolan in A Touch of Frost. He was brilliant and I didn't fall asleep once during his talks - even my husband was impressed by that as he didn't have to keep nudging me to wake me up. :oops:

I don't watch Hollyoaks but Princess seem to use a lot of the actors/actresses from that soap so none of those would appeal to me. I do watch Coronation Street so Beverley Callard would be quite interesting to listen to. I would make a point of not going to listen to Paul Burrell as I can't stand the man making a living off of the death of Princess Di. Maureen.

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

I have seen John Virgo before on Oceana, and he was much funnier than I thought he would be, but less anecdotes from Big break than I was expecting.

I would be interested in Eddie the Eagle from that bunch, or also Anne Widdecombe, I'm sure she will be very interesting.

Incidentally, do P and O release in advance who is speaking?

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

welshynurse wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 19:05
Incidentally, do P and O release in advance who is speaking?
Hi Welshynurse -- I haven't ever seen a list of future speakers on PO. In fact, like Lindsey said in her reply, it seems to be the same old, same old. As much as I loved Concorde, I never want to sit through another talk on it.

We did have an ex-policeman once, Paul someone ? who told you a story of a murder at each talk and you had to work out who the murderer was. He was very good.

Maureen

Return to “Princess”