A326

Azura cruises in 2013

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

A326

Post by Citylady »

Still seems a long way off but already preparing very first cruise. We're on the Azura on 1st November heading for the Caribbean. What a brilliant way to spend my birthday :D . Anyone else coming along :wave: - would be nice to say Hello.

Busylizzie17
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: A326

Post by Busylizzie17 »

Yes we are on this one, only booked at the weekend. We were on the Ventura same date last year doing the Transatlantic to the Caribbeam, it was great so looking forward to doing it again on Azura. :thumbup:

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

:wave: Hooray, thank goodness someone else is coming along! I've been watching the forum in eager anticipation so glad to hear from you Busylizzie17!

I'm interested to hear you did a similar trip on Ventura last year - how was the weather crossing the Atlantic? I'm wondering whether I need to pack clothes for cold weather as well as warm, at least for the early part of the trip? What was your experience. I've never ever cruised before so any advice is much appreciated :D

Juscrusin
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Juscrusin »

This is from a post I did a couple of weeks ago for someone else asking about the Transatlantic and the weather across.

I have been on Azura a few times so any questions please ask.

We did the 3 week Transatlantic on Ventura last Nov, first time on a transatlantic and we loved it so much we have booked a transatlantic for this Nov.

Here is a brief over view of what weather/conditions we experienced last year (I write a diary)
First day after leaving Southampton we were off the Brest peninsular, weather scattered clouds 10 degrees ok for a bracing walk on deck!

Day 2 Off the coast off Northern Spain went across BOB without realising during the night, weather scattered clouds and sun 13 degrees ships course will take us down the coast of Portugal today (Our first port on this cruise was Madeira)

Day 3 South of Lisbon heading southwest 1000 miles from Southampton now. 11am the sun is trying to shine it is a 'balmy' 17.1 degrees now the Oasis pool is filled dare I go for a swim?

Day 4 Funchal today weather fine rain and showers but 20 degrees, now have shorts on although a waterproof jacket to!

Day 5 2700 miles to Tortola! weather 18 degrees broken clouds and showers still travelling more westerly than south at the moment so not level with the Canary Islands yet so expecting it to get warmer once we turn more southerly.

Day 6 Getting much warmer now nearly 21 degrees at 11am and sunny

Days 7-10 Hot 27-30 degrees and sunny most of the time, balcony too hot to sit for long....

First port of call Tortola cruised 4059 miles from Southampton, typical Tortola weather heavy showers and sun but 28 degrees!

We then had two weeks in the Caribbean...

This year there is no 3 week cruise (shame.. ideal length we thought) so have booked a back to back so we are on-board 4 weeks as we feel just the two week crossing not long enough once you reach the Caribbean.
We thoroughly enjoyed the crossing not rough at all (hope its the same this year!) it gave us a chance to unwind and relax

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Thanks for the great info, Juscrusin. Sounds like we can expect it to be a little "fresh" to start with but soon warming up. Our route looks slightly different to yours as we're at sea until day 5 when we reach the Azores but I suspect the weather will be similar.

We've been looking forward to this trip for so long, we're so excited! Azura looks lovely and we've now got the addition of David Essex to look forward to :D

Your back to back sounds great, 4 lovely relaxing weeks - I'm jealous!!

Busylizzie17
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Busylizzie17 »

Hello Citylady and sister, Juscrusin has given you a run down of the weather we had last Nov so you now know what to expect. We called in at Madeira so are pleased that we are having a change this year and going to Ponta Delgada.We had a fab time last year with the first week relaxing and enjoying the ship and the second week exploring the islands and lazing on the beaches under the shade of parasols sipping ice cold beers - heaven :x We are having the extra day in Barbados this time. We fly back to Gatwick.You will love this cruise :thumbup: Good to see that David Essex will be onboard, I saw him on stage about 30 years ago! We had Jimmy James onboard last year who was very good, and he was on the Oriana when we did the Baltics cruise this June.
Less than 9 weeks to go :wave:
Ps you will not be cold inside the ship on way to the Azores so no need to put extra weight in suitcase, as long as you have a fleecy jacket to roam about in when you go outside.

Juscrusin
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Juscrusin »

Yes looking forward to a slightly different route this year not been to the Azores before but have visited the islands in the Caribbean a number of times. Citylady if you have any questions or queries about any of the ship tours or islands please ask as we have been on quite a few, this cruise we are planning on mainly doing our own thing though.

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Evening Busylizzie17, we're also doing the extra day in Barbados, flying into Gatwick. 61 days to go :D and so excited. As it's our first cruise, we've booked the P&O trips on the personalised. I know we could've done it cheaper on our own but wanted the peace of mind this time. Was a bit disappointed that St Lucia's been replaced by Dominica, though I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves there, too.

I'm sure there'll be more questions from me in the weeks to come :thumbup:

Jackie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jackie »

Hi I'm on this one as well! Flying back to Gatwick on the 16th. Hoping I can fit everything in one case! First time I've done this type of cruise, so used to taking everything but the kitchen sink!
Looking forward to the cruise very much.
Jackie

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Hi Jackie, good to hear you're joining along with us. I know what you mean about fitting everything in one case - goodness knows how I'm going to manage it :lol: ! I think there'll be a lot of stuff going on the bin before we fly home, I can't possibly cut down on the clothes!!
My sister and I are cruise newbies - I'm sure it's going to be a great experience :D

Jackie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jackie »

Good Morning
I am looking forward to visiting the Azores,as Ive never been there before. Wasn't too bothered about St Lucia as I'd been there before and hadn't been to Dominica! Perhaps would have preferred to miss St. Marteen! I travel alone so hope everyone is as friendly as other cruises I've been on!
I can see me dumping things for the journey home and not taking so many shoes! Also told the family there'll be no presents!
Jackie

cruisefan60
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cruisefan60 »

We booked this one at the weekend. Several firsts - first time on Azura, first fly cruise of this length, first time transatlantic and first time to the Caribbean. We like sea days but have never done more than three in a row. A well loaded Kindle is in order! With such a short 'lead in' I had better start sorting clothes rather than maxing the ipad battery researching the ports.

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Well done Cruisefan60 , you've made a great choice :D I'm itching to get the suitcases out but we've got someone visiting this week so the spare room is occupied but the minute they've gone, the cases are out! Goodness knows how I'm going to fit all my stuff into one 23kg case but it's got to be done ...... somehow!

cruisefan60
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cruisefan60 »

Citylady wrote:
Well done Cruisefan60 , you've made a great choice :D I'm itching to get the suitcases out but we've got someone visiting this week so the spare room is occupied but the minute they've gone, the cases are out! Goodness knows how I'm going to fit all my stuff into one 23kg case but it's got to be done ...... somehow!
Hi Citylady

I expect you have the suitcases out by now. The 23kg puzzle is certainly a taxing one! At the moment it is all planned in my head but there will be three options available. Must take, would like to take and would like to take if there is room. Mind you, if there is room might not be an option if the case already comes in at 23kg!!

Hope the weather calms down before we sail!

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Yes, the suitcases are filling up nicely. Did a trial pack last weekend and was surprised to find my case was under 20kg so feel slightly happier about the return journey as some of the toiletries won't be coming back with us. I also read on another forum that the bags are collected en masse from the ship going back and aren't actually weighed!

It's pretty blowy here in Norfolk now though the worst isn't predicted until I'm on my way to work tomorrow. Should've brought my laptop home so I could work from home! Glad it'll all be over with before Friday.

Jackie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jackie »

Hi Citylady
Your post was comforting as I haven't done a trial pack! However the spare room bed and wardrobe are filling up! Everything I think I need and then the essentials! At least toiletries don't have to come back! I think the compromise will be on shoes and bags! Getting quite excited.
Glad we're not travelling tonight! Quite breezy and wet here on the South coast!
Jackie

Return to “Azura Cruises 2013”