Dunedin - Day 3

Davi'd trip to New Zealand in 2018 with a "grand tour" of South Island

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dunedin - Day 3

Post by david63 »

The good news today was that there was no rain forecast and the weather was expected to get a bit (the emphasis here is on bit) warmer. That's as maybe but it was still cold!!!

Our first stopping of point today was at the Original Settlers Museum. This has to be one of the best museums that I have been to - it is a modern style museum with plenty of hi-tech interactive gizzmos, but all in context. For example there is a large room that is covered on all four wall from floor to ceiling with photos/portraits of all of the early settlers and facing each wall was a console where you could select any picture and it would give details of who they were. The exibits were well spaced out with plenty of room to get around. The only problem was that really you need a couple of days to do it justice. For anyone visiting Dunedin this is a must and, best of all, it is free.

We then moved on to the Chinese Gardens, which were in fact next door to the Settlers Museum. Again this is another excellent place to go for a bit of karma, but by now it was getting cold again so we did not stay very long.

Now in the evening we went on a trip out onto the Otago Peninsular to see the little blue penguins. These penguins are found all along the coast in this part if NZ. Originally the idea was to this tomorrow when in Oamaru but when I tried a couple of days ago to book the tour there it was fully booked so we rearranged to do it in Dunedin. There was a lot of hanging about in the dark waiting for them to come ashore (you would have thought that they could be on time and not keep their audience waiting!) but when they did they were so cute waddling up the beach and going off to their nest. These little creatures are only abot 20 - 25 cms tall but full of personality.

Source: http://pear-tree.org.uk/blog/index.php? ... Day-3.html

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Dunedin - Day 3

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Hi David, glad you're having a good time.

My accountant lives in Port Chalmers and his wife worked for me for over twelve years. They now do a lot of work for the Otago yacht club. When we went over there six years ago we had four nights in Dundedin and We drove up to Oamaru and back in one evening just to see the penguins. On the way back the road was almost empty. I counted less than forty vehicles coming the other way and this was on one of New Zealand's main highways.

Have a lovely time, I'm quite jealous.

Return to “David's 2018 New Zealand Trip”