Aurora Adult only

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora Adult only

Post by Whynd1 »

It is being reported that P and O are emailing out that Aurora will be made adult only from March 2019.
So which of the fleet will be sold off, Oriana ?

I am on Aurora this coming October and don't expect many children to be on board for a 17 night cruise to Greece.

Some affected will no doubt moan about this.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Aurora Adult only

Post by Stephen »

Whynd1 wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:32
It is being reported that P and O are emailing out that Aurora will be made adult only from March 2019.
So which of the fleet will be sold off, Oriana ?

I am on Aurora this coming October and don't expect many children to be on board for a 17 night cruise to Greece.

Some affected will no doubt moan about this.

Lindsey

Nooo, surely not :sarcasm:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Oh that would be such a shame. My son and family love Aurora - we spent 17 nights on her last summer and we really enjoyed it. We first went on her as a family a few years ago and I wondered if they would like a smaller ship after sailing on Ventura and Britannia but they loved it. I think having a covered pool area makes the ship more user friendly particularly sailing out of Southampton - my youngest granddaughter practically lives in the water so loves the pool on Aurora. I guess a lot of people will make a fuss but I see little point in doing that - they are a money making company and will do whatever is best for Carnival at the end of the day.
Janis

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Unfortunately it would appear the rumours are true.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... adult-only

We no longer cruise with P&O but I never said never, this has now decided me I won't be cruising with them again as the only ship I would have sailed on would be Aurora, I dislike adult only ships so that's me finished !!
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 21 Feb 2018, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It wouldn't entice us to book with P&O and is a shame for those with children already booked, but I have to say it does make sense to me.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We too love Aurora, but adult only or not doesn't bother us.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Do you think they will sell Oriana by then as they are making Aurora adult only ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Wouldn't be surprised with all the problems she keeps getting, but only P&O will know that one.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

I have a couple of cruises on Oriana booked for this year in April and October. I have been monitoring Southampton VTS for berthing details and up to a few days ago there was nothing relating to Oriana after July. They have now put in details up to September, still nothing for the latter part of the year. Makes you think!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

They've already lost adult only Adonia so initially it's probably a reaction to that. But I'm equally sure Oriana's days are numbered
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 21 Feb 2018, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

my wife and I really only like going on adult only boats so with Adonia leaving the fleet and probably Oriana to follow it makes sense to change Aurora to adult only as P&O will not have to provide childrens staff for there clubs and it will give people like us a choice of boats with Arcadia.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Aurora on the Med / Greek Islands without squawking brats during the school holidays could be a very enjoyable cruise ... for us.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

When we've been on Aurora, it's been very nearly adults only anyway, as we've travelled outside of the main holiday season, or on longer cruises.

P&O will have 2 new ships in 2020 and 2022 which will be aimed at the family market, so I suppose they are thinking ahead, to retain their 'traditional cruiser' passenger base. But it's a shame for families with children who enjoy something more traditional.

Whatever happens, I tend to think Oriana and Oceana's days are numbered, I'd be more than happy of either of those ships ended up with CMV
Last edited by Gill W on 21 Feb 2018, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We love Aurora or we would not have spent almost 150 nights on her, BUT, it was mainly on long cruises, out of school holidays, and destinations not so appealing to families. There were some children on board which did not bother us one jot as they were few in number and well behaved.
I cannot see the appeal of Aurora to families with older children, nothing much to excite them on her, compared to w hat's on offer on the larger ships.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

wolfie wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 22:30
We love Aurora or we would not have spent almost 150 nights on her, BUT, it was mainly on long cruises, out of school holidays, and destinations not so appealing to families. There were some children on board which did not bother us one jot as they were few in number and well behaved.
I cannot see the appeal of Aurora to families with older children, nothing much to excite them on her, compared to w hat's on offer on the larger ships.
My thoughts entirely and doubtless the reason for the change.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

This is my take on the Aurora situation.

The factor which has not been mentioned is the fact that Aurora is booked in for a major refit next March. The work needed to convert the ship will happen then. Space in docks to do the work is booked years earlier. So they could not move the dates. Clearly the decision to change to adult only was brought on by Carnival selling Adonia. Thus leaving P&O with one adult only ship short.

I do not think Oriana comes into the equation. I still think she will be around until 2021/22.

When she does go it will not be to a U.K. cruise line. That would just be daft.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

A nice ship, had really good times on her and do not have a problem with it becoming adult only, With the two big ships due to arrive in the next few years there will be more than enough for the children on them. Aurora and Oriana are the last ties to cruising with PandO as it use to be (almost).
Don't worry, be happy

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Ray B wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 11:23
A nice ship, had really good times on her and do not have a problem with it becoming adult only, With the two big ships due to arrive in the next few years there will be more than enough for the children on them. Aurora and Oriana are the last ties to cruising with PandO as it use to be (almost).
My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Not saying I wouldn't try an Adults only cruise but I much prefer seeing children skipping around the decks than a load of old crocks stumbling around the place, besides, from my observation children/teenagers are generally well behaved so I cant see why Adults only cruises are really necessary.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

I can agree with you there Onelife, on Azura a few years back the only time we were aware of the amount of children onboard was when they paraded around the decks on a treasure hunt.
Don't worry, be happy

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Onelife wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 14:38
Not saying I wouldn't try an Adults only cruise but I much prefer seeing children skipping around the decks than a load of old crocks stumbling around the place, besides, from my observation children/teenagers are generally well behaved so I cant see why Adults only cruises are really necessary.
Couldn't agree more :lol: :lol:
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Adult only cruises aren't necessary. In fact cruises aren't necessary full stop. But it's a choice some people make. So it isn't unreasonable for a cruise line to meet that demand.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Dancing Queen wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:23
Onelife wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 14:38
Couldn't agree more :lol:
'Ang on DQ and Onelife, that could be me!! :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well if the cap fits!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 22:35
Adult only cruises aren't necessary. In fact cruises aren't necessary full stop. But it's a choice some people make. So it isn't unreasonable for a cruise line to meet that demand.

Hi Sir Merv,

Having choice is something that cruise lines like to promote but in reality 'Choice' for families is becoming increasingly limited. I think it is a misconception that all families want to be herded into these Goliath floating theme parks and would if they had the choice choose a more traditional cruise on something that resembles a cruise ship?

Choice is about having two or more possibilities and whilst this may apply to Adulties who can choose any ship they wish to sail on the same dose not apply for families.

Regards

Keith :wave:

Return to “About Aurora”