How far is it from port to Reykjavik town centre

A place to discuss your hobbies

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

How far is it from port to Reykjavik town centre

Post by poole boy »

could any one please tell me how far it is to the town centre in Reykjavik from the port also do p&o lay on a shuttle if not what is the price of taxis
any tips on what to see our were to go would be a great help :thumbup:
please remember I am not very good at walking so nothing to far
Last edited by poole boy on 24 Apr 2018, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: How far is it from port to Reykjavik town centre

Post by daib GC »

poole boy wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:39
could any one please tell me how far it is to the town centre in Reykjavik from the port also do p&o lay on a shuttle if not what is the price of taxis
Hi PB,

There is a shuttle to the centre, however if it is nice, you can walk. It’s about a mile along the coast. I shuttled in and scootered back.

As we always have the select fare I have no idea if it is a paid for shuttle or not.

The city is not massive and can easily be covered in 3/4/5 hours.

However if walking is a problem I would suggest a trip. The City has a museum a Cathedral and shops. Oh and an arts centre. That is where the shuttle drops you.

Dai

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

IF P&O do a ' Panoramic ' excursion that suits your requirements then that would may be the best plan for this destination although there can certainly be uneven and / or lengthy walks from the drop off points regarding all of the out of town highlights.

The P&O Berth is ( was ) in the location of the Old Harbour so some walking may be possible for you in this location but the ' High Street ' and their famous Cathedral are mostly uphill and a considerable distance from the Port. A taxi ( or Shuttle if available ) to see these is an option and then a downhill walk back to the Ship perhaps but taxis are wickedly expensive and may only deal in Icelandic Krona.

Hope that helps.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We were there last September on a Princess cruise on a glorious sunny day even though only 14 degrees. The shuttle is organised by the port and you buy tickets at the information desk in the shop on the dockside. Tickets are 2200 ISK each (I think it was return). Buses run on a loop.

We took the shuttle bus in which drops you at 'Harpa', the big concert hall on by the sea (you can't miss it). Then we walked around and up the hill to Hallgrimskirkja (wonderful magical atmosphere inside. Not to be missed. Then halfway back down and lunch. Mrs QB got the shuttle back from Harpa but I went off on a walk along to the Naval and Cod War museum. They have a veteran of the Cod Wars there 'Thor'. I wanted to see the 'Sólfarið' Sun Voyager sculpture which is by the sea on the way back so I walked it.

It's flat all the way and a lovely walk alongside the fjord and 2.5 miles from Harpa to the cruise docks. It took me 50 minutes with stops along the way. I'm glad I walked it, one of the highlights of the cruise for me. I walked over 10 miles that day and loved every minute. My only regret is not buying a model of the 'toast rack' Sun Voyager sculpture. They sell them in Harpa, slip one in your pocket for me please ;)

On the sail away after dark we were lucky enough to see the northern lights whilst sitting on our balcony. I hope you're lucky too.

This is about 600 yards from Harpa and 3.5 km to the ship which you can see in the distance:

Edit: I've just seen your bit about difficulty in walking. Oops, sorry.
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 24 Apr 2018, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Thank you you very much for your most helpful answers after reading them we have now booked theP&O panoramic tour for our first day there july 5th and will take the shuttle the next day.
Qb could you please tell me what 2200 Isk is worth thank you all

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

daib GC wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 15:30
poole boy wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:39
Hi PB,

There is a shuttle to the centre, however if it is nice, you can walk. It’s about a mile along the coast. I shuttled in and scootered back.

As we always have the select fare I have no idea if it is a paid for shuttle or not.

The city is not massive and can easily be covered in 3/4/5 hours.

However if walking is a problem I would suggest a trip. The City has a museum a Cathedral and shops. Oh and an arts centre. That is where the shuttle drops you.

Dai
Just looked at google maps and the walk from the town is more like 3 Mile. Shows what your memory does for you. I think I must have had new batteries. :lol: :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

poole boy wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 17:42
Thank you you very much for your most helpful answers after reading them we have now booked theP&O panoramic tour for our first day there july 5th and will take the shuttle the next day.
Qb could you please tell me what 2200 Isk is worth thank you all
Sure PB, 2200 Icelandic Kroner are worth about £15.67 at the moment. About 140 to the £

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Qb most helpful thank you :thumbup:

diab gc certainly glad you checked as I could never manage 3 miles so its the shuttle bus for sure on second day :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 16:49
We took the shuttle bus in which drops you at 'Harpa', the big concert hall on by the sea (you can't miss it).
Is that the amazing place that looks like the architect's plans given to the builder had got creased? :) :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:23
We took the shuttle bus in which drops you at 'Harpa', the big concert hall on by the sea (you can't miss it).
Is that the amazing place that looks like the architect's plans given to the builder had got creased? :) :thumbup:
That's the one. You wouldn't want to have the job of trying to clean the windows. Unless you were a window cleaner of course.Image

http://vegantearoom.com/index.php/2015/ ... -pictures/

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

poole boy wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 22:28
Qb most helpful thank you :thumbup:

diab gc certainly glad you checked as I could never manage 3 miles so its the shuttle bus for sure on second day :thumbup:
You're most welcome.

The HOHO bus also calls at the cruise docks and might be worth considering. The docks are at stop #14 at the top right.

https://www.re.is/day-tours/hop-on-hop-off

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:27
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:23
That's the one. You wouldn't want to have the job of trying to clean the windows. Unless you were a window cleaner of course.Image

http://vegantearoom.com/index.php/2015/ ... -pictures/

Or fitting curtains!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 25 Apr 2018, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Thank you Qb do you happen to know how much the ho ho bus costs :thumbup:

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

poole boy wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 18:08
Thank you Qb do you happen to know how much the ho ho bus costs :thumbup:
Looks like it is 4000 Icelandic thingys. Or

£28.50.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Thank you Diab gc Thank you very helpful

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

poole boy wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 22:45
One more thought PB. How about hiring a car for two days? When a cruise ship is in port there is a hire station at the terminal. We hired one last September for the day in Akureyri and had a wonderful time at our own pace. Driving in Iceland is easy and there are lots of English signs for everything. We drove up to Husarvik and around Myvatn and went to the Godafoss with no time constraints. The total cost for the day was about £90 including petrol. They gave me a Suzuki Swift for some reason.

There is ample free parking at the terminal.

https://www.europcar.co.uk/locations/ic ... ik-harbour

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 23:20
One more thought PB. How about hiring a car for two days? When a cruise ship is in port there is a hire station at the terminal. We hired one last September for the day in Akureyri and had a wonderful time at our own pace. Driving in Iceland is easy and there are lots of English signs for everything. We drove up to Husarvik and around Myvatn and went to the Godafoss with no time constraints. The total cost for the day was about £90 including petrol. They gave me a Suzuki Swift for some reason.

That works out cheaper than the tours!!!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 07:10
Quizzical Bob wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 23:20

That works out cheaper than the tours!!!
That's the general idea :)

In Iceland the tours are expensive and I can't think of any sights where there is an entrance fee.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Qb the only problem with hiring a car is that I probably would not get insurance owing to health problems

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

poole boy wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 22:23
Qb the only problem with hiring a car is that I probably would not get insurance owing to health problems
Fair enough. For others it’s worth considering.

Return to “Hobby Time”