Drinks Package

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drinks Package

Post by david63 »

A comment from P&O on FB earlier - the AI drinks package is to be trialled on Azura next week, but no confirmation that it will be rolled out to any other ships.

It will be interesting to see how much it will cost and what is included.
Last edited by david63 on 13 Jul 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Dinks Package

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

So long as they don't make it compulsory and include it in the fare I'm not bothered. We really don't drink anywhere near enough to justify the cost unless it is less than £10-£15 per day per passenger. And I doubt it will be that cheap!

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

Suppose it gives more choice so I’m up for that as long as prices don’t get more expensive, have always found prices reasonable against hotel prices at home. Would try it out if it looked good.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

My experience with Celebrity and RCI is that when they introduced drinks packages the cost of drinks escalated rapidly, presumably in order to persuade the maximum numbers to buy one. Which tends to make me sssume that drinks packages are more profitable for the cruise line, therefore more costly for passengers.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

An thought has occurred to me about a drinks package.

If this was to be introduced fleet wide then there would be the possibility that you could pre-purchase it (possibly at a slightly lower price) which then begs the question of what to spend OBC on especially if you remove auto tips - the cynic in me says that these are related.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

david63 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:40
A comment from P&O on FB earlier - the AI drinks package is to be trialled on Azura next week, but no confirmation that it will be rolled out to any other ships.

It will be interesting to see how much it will cost and what is included.
Your interest is my command 8-) 8-) :)

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resource ... ackage.pdf

Who is up for £40 a day. Each, All Cruise.

35 nights to the Caribbean. £2800.00

I dont think so.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Not for me at that price. We enjoy a drink🍷🍺 but don't drink enough to make it worth the cost almost £80 per day😱😨

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

If the figures are correct, theyre having a laugh.

I like the odd glass of mineral water, but bu99ered if I'm paying that per day.. . Each. Mrs S can get her own :lol:
Last edited by Stephen on 12 Jul 2018, 19:56, edited 3 times in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Happydays wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 19:40
Not for me at that price. We enjoy a drink🍷🍺 but don't drink enough to make it worth the cost almost £80 per day😱😨
Same here. Our average spend is about 50 quid a day so we'd be well out of pocket. I'd had a good go at drinking 40 quid a day but Mrs B is a lightweight
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Well I can quite safely say that with all those restrictions I will not be partaking of P&O's most generous offer.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 21:18
Well I can quite safely say that with all those restrictions I will not be partaking of P&O's most generous offer.
Not even for a small "DINK".
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Bottles of water emptied and replaced with gin as purchased in the Port is obviously the way forward … hic ...
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Mob...

Your ingenuity never cease to amaze me :)

:wave:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drinks Package

Post by david63 »

Well this drinks package has obviously been dreamt up by the bean counters as I suspect that it will be totally impractical.
  • Each passenger will have to order drinks separately.
  • Ordering wine by the glass (again separately) whilst having dinner and waiting 15 minutes before you can have another will make wine service in the MDR a nightmare.
  • Can only order small bottles of water, so order many small bottles - what about the current policy of becoming environmentally friendly about plastic?
  • Room service excluded so passengers will be carrying drinks around the ship.
  • "Strictly non refundable" - does this mean that if you are medically disembarked that you still have to pay?
And then there is the statement
Nearly every drink we serve is included ...

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

As long as it's optional, I won't have an issue with it.
We've done many AI land holidays and are fine with the concept, but at £80 a day for a couple, the figures just don't add up for us.
On a 14 nighter that would put £1,120 on the bill.
I've had weeks in Spain where the whole holiday didn't cost much more than that.

We've never had an on board spend of anything like that, even with Mrs B buying handbags etc.
Last edited by barney on 13 Jul 2018, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

At present the package is not very attractive. I can’t see any way to make it more attractive....apart from raising bar prices.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I imagine that Jean-Claude Juncker might find it an economical feature!
John

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

towny44 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 15:11
:lol: :lol: :lol:
P&O could be out of pocket!!!
Last edited by oldbluefox on 13 Jul 2018, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

oldbluefox wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 15:41
towny44 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 15:11
:lol: :lol: :lol:
P&O could be out of pocket!!!
Bankrupt!

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The proposed drinks package is far too expensive at £39.95 to be of value to us, and I'm not sure I'd be physically capable to drink enough to make it value for money.

It might be of use to someone cruising with children, as the children's package is included, but I suspect that is one child per drinks package purchased, so if you are one adult travelling with 2 children, only one child would be covered. Although the stand alone children's drinks package is only £7.95, which seems to be good value, especially for older children.

My friend would probably go for the hot drinks package at £10.95, as she doesn't drink alcohol, but drinks a lot of coffee. If I was forced choose a package, I'd go for the non alcoholic package, at £19.95. It includes hot drinks and mocktails.

I enjoyed AI on Fred, and have booked it on CMV, but I will continue to pay as I go on P&O.

It will be interesting to see what the passengers response will be on Azura.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 16:24
The proposed drinks package is far too expensive at £39.95 to be of value to us, and I'm not sure I'd be physically capable to drink enough to make it value for money.

It might be of use to someone cruising with children, as the children's package is included, but I suspect that is one child per drinks package purchased, so if you are one adult travelling with 2 children, only one child would be covered. Although the stand alone children's drinks package is only £7.95, which seems to be good value, especially for older children.

My friend would probably go for the hot drinks package at £10.95, as she doesn't drink alcohol, but drinks a lot of coffee. If I was forced choose a package, I'd go for the non alcoholic package, at £19.95. It includes hot drinks and mocktails.

I enjoyed AI on Fred, and have booked it on CMV, but I will continue to pay as I go on P&O.

Hi Gill,

When we last cruised with our daughter the drinks package, if l remember correctly was £18 for 30 soft drinks which seemed a good deal at the time.
Last edited by Onelife on 13 Jul 2018, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 18:38
Gill W wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 16:24

Hi Gill,

When we last cruised with our daughter the drinks package, if l remember correctly was £18 for 30 soft drinks which seemed a good deal at the time.
We are just back from Britannia and it was £35 for 20 soft drinks. That was large 1 pint soft drinks which I thought was a good price.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

This looks very like the Princess offering and someone posted elsewhere like Holland America.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

daib GC wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 20:50
This looks very like the Princess offering and someone posted elsewhere like Holland America.
There's a surprise - all Carnival!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It certainly wouldn’t interest us as we would NEVER drink the amount necessary to break even.
Gill

Return to “P&O”