travel insurance

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
susanh
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

travel insurance

Post by susanh »

We are booked on Arcadia for the circumnavation of the world in leaving on Jan 6th
Have just got a quote from Holiday Extra and would you believe its Seven Thousand pounds!!
We have just reached our 70th birthday and have the normal ailments blood pressure, cholestrerol
and diabetes we expected an increase from the long cruise we took 2 years ago but this is mind blowing
Just got quote from Stay Sure Two Thousand pounds what a difference

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: travel insurance

Post by Onelife »

susanh wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:32
We are booked on Arcadia for the circumnavation of the world in leaving on Jan 6th
Have just got a quote from Holiday Extra and would you believe its Seven Thousand pounds!!
We have just reached our 70th birthday and have the normal ailments blood pressure, cholestrerol
and diabetes we expected an increase from the long cruise we took 2 years ago but this is mind blowing
Hi Susanh.....It pays to shop around.......well done!

l'm sure there will be more advise on good reasonable priced travel insurance coming along shortly.....btw, as you are new to the forum you may not have heard of the onelife cruise appeal

So thank you in anticipation :)

Regards

keith

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I use a company called Cedar Tree. It's worth getting a quote form them to compare.

Welcome by the way :wave:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

susanh wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:32

Welcome to the forum susanh.

I don't know about insurance, that's the price of a cruise to me ;)

We currently use 'Insure and Go'.
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Sep 2018, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I've seen Stay Sure recommended before for those of us a little past middle age with any pre-existing conditions. Certainly blood pressure is one that insurers get twitchy about because of the increased risk of more serious things that can get very expensive if you're the other side of the world.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I can recommend world first and insurewith for medical conditions.

Not sure about a world cruise cover though.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

One of the problems with most travel insurance policies is that they have a limit on the number of consecutive days that you can be away - and most come nowhere near what you need for a World Cruise.

Whilst talking about World Cruise insurance don't forget that your house insurance probably has a limit on the number of days that it can be left unoccupied.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'm available for house sitting, I don't come cheap though.
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Sep 2018, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

If she leaves me the keys to her house....and safe l'll take care of it for a few months :lol:

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

It is also worth checking when you get a quote that you have cruise cover. We had annual Insure & Go cover renewed over the phone no problem. Tried to make a claim and they said "ah you haven't got cruise cover" we complained that no one had told us on the phone renewal that they had added cruise cover, to no avail.
However, tongue in cheek I asked about the separate new policy I had taken out some months previously for the World cruise we were doing next month "that has got cruise cover I assume" and no it didn't! Despite the agent being fully aware what it was for & spending a good 45 minutes on the phone with them discussing it, we hadn't asked for cruise cover we didn't know they had added so we didn't have it!!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

The other thing to make sure is that, in the event you have to cancel once you have paid the final balance, the insurance covers the total cost of the cruise. Some insurance companies will only cover you for £5k to £10k and depending on the grade of cabin you have chosen your total could be much higher. We had this problem when we booked the 65 night cruise on Aurora earlier this year. Holiday Extras and the company they referred us to was the only one I could find that covered us for the total outlay. In the event we didn't have to claim but, in the past, having broken my ankle two weeks before we were due to go on a Cunard cruise, albeit a short one, we had to cancel we weren't taking any chances.Cunard wouldn't let me transfer to a cruise the following year as it was too close to the sail date so we had to claim on our insurance - I think it was Saga at that time. We got everything back including our car parking charge with CPS. So just check that whichever company you chose to go with will cover you in the event of a cancellation by you.

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Easier and cheaper to just stay at home and holiday in the UK.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

previously we have always used insure to cruise. usual health questions are asked. but I have not had the fortune to try for world cruise cover yet!. I hope you enjoy your fabulous trip around the world.
regards gilly.

Southern Belle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Southern Belle »

I've just started trying to get insurance for 56 days on Aurora in January and so far Holiday Extras are the only ones who will cover the full cancellation at a cost of £3,035!
Whilst recovering from the shock I tried my usual insurers Insure and Go and Staysure but they will only offer cover of £5000.
I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and go with it.

Jan

Topic author
susanh
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by susanh »

Thanks for your advice on travel insurance
I have just got back from a short break so will restart my search next week
Will let you know the outcome

SusanH

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Just had our renewal from the broker for the next 12 months, and this will be the last year we can have an annual policy with the current insurer, so I was checking with the broker what it might cost me in future for individual cruise cover.
However he advised they should be able to continue offering annual cover via a new insurer, to them, so he worked out some guide costs for both single trip and annual cover, and amazingly the cost for a single trip would be higher for both Europe and Worldwide cover, and their premium cover which is only 15% higher will cover trips up to 45 days, as opposed to our current 31 days, which would enable us to still do some longer round trip Caribbean cruises, the downside is it could cost £2500.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Crazy money. These insurance companies have got you over a barrel.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Mines due at the end of the month...Oh Gawd...
Mel

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

screwy wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 11:34
Mines due at the end of the month...Oh Gawd...
Same here, very worrying. Luckily we have only paid very small deposits on our 2019 and 2020 cruises so, if we have to, we will just cancel and lose the deposits. :(

Maureen

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

A quick clarification of our situation, the next 12 month period before we hit 75 should be OK for worldwide cover at approx. £600 annual cover for both of us, with our current pre-existing conditions,but only up to 31 days maximum trip.
Next year the new insurer, on today's rates, could be about 25% cheaper for European cover, but approx £2200 for 31 days and £2500 for 45 days.
So unlikely to stop us cruising, but next January's Caribbean round trip might be our last.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Southern Belle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Southern Belle »

For some reason I had to pay a very large deposit of over £2,300 for this cruise so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place really.It's my treat for my 70th birthday.
But if I'm still around in 10 years time it will probably have to be Clacton.

Jan

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Southern Belle wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 16:40
For some reason I had to pay a very large deposit of over £2,300 for this cruise so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place really.It's my treat for my 70th birthday.

Jan
Frinton has a better beach Jan :thumbup: :D
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Oct 2018, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Belle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Southern Belle »

Stephen wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 16:47
Southern Belle wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 16:40

Jan
Frinton has a better beach Jan :thumbup: :D
Thanks Stephen I'll bear that in mind lol.

Jan

Return to “P&O”