2014 Aurora Worldie

Anything to do with World Cruises

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: 2014 Aurora Worldie

Post by Seabird »

Here we go again!
The dread urgent message from P&O cancelling ports...due to " a greater number of ships than anticipated"..... !!
(Which I think is P&O speak for we haven't managed to secure a berth, despite offering this port in our itinerary for over a year!?!)
So the new and exciting port of Chan May, which afforded the opportunity to see Dha nang and visit Hoi An, has been cancelled and Nha Tran, a pleasant enough place but with limited interest, is substituted!!!

They kept doing this on the World Cruise we were booked on last year until they'd messed it about so much that we cancelled!
Let's hope and pray they don't wreck this one.

Orcades
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Orcades »

I agree. It is a bit galling to cancel a maiden visit to Chan May, used to promote and attract people to this World cruise. Especially this close to people preparing to pay (smelling salts at the ready).
I have got 3 must do tours on my P and O wish list. Still hoping to book some shared DIY tours.

Spent today researching ports places of interest. Have identified many not offered by P and O (surfing/swimming). Anyone interested in half day trips to Sydney: Manly beach by ferry, Cape Town: Big Bay (atlantic) or the slightly warmer Muizenberg Beach (Indian ocean) by taxi and San Juan Del Sur: Playa Maderas Beach?

101 days 22 hours to go.

Trixie68
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Trixie68 »

We are going on the Aurora.sector Singapore-Southampton,booked last year as it is for our Golden Wedding Aniversary.going 3 days early and staying in Singapore before boarding the ship.

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi Trixie68 - we're doing the Hong Kong to Southampton trip....and like you are taking three days in Hong Kong before we join the ship.
So we're off in 103 days....and counting!!! Starting to become real now :D !?.

We've not done fly-cruising before...just turned up at Southampton with upteen suitcases....so a little nervous about how much I'm going to be able to take this time!
We'll get through Xmas and then start the serious business of wardrobe/packing plans.....with all the candidate clothes out on a rail in the spare room; packing lists from previous cruises; the scales; spreadsheets with all the weights etc etc!! All part of the thrilling anticipation of a long voyage for us!!!

Hope you're enjoying the build-up to your cruise too. Do you have any extra special treats in plan for your Anniversary Celebrations?
Hope to meet up on the voyage.
Lesley

Topic author
ivygirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ivygirl »

So glad we are not the only people doing Hong Kong - Southampton! Hopefully someone will organise a get together in each leg of our Aurora adventure! It will be lovely to meet as many of you as possible. Things are very hectic in our household because as well as getting ready for the cruise We are also arranging our daughters wedding!!!! She and her finance are in Germany so we are having to do everything! Aurora returns to Southampton 24 April and the wedding is 24 May!!! SO glad we booked the cruise before being told of the wedding!!!
Pat

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi Pat - wow are you going to need a wonderful holiday??....to recover from the next 3 months and to get you ready for the big day!!
How exciting though!!
Are you also taking the extra three nights in Hong Kong ahead of the cruise? If so we'll meet up there I'm sure.
Lesley
102 days and counting.....

Topic author
ivygirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ivygirl »

Bon Voyage to everyone leaving on Aurora tomorrow! Hope the weather is kind! Look after Aurora for all of us joining later. (Hong Kong for us) but most of all, have a wonderful time! Hope to meet you all aboard.
Pat

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi All joining at Hong Kong.....the long awaited day when the flight e-tickets finally were issued came on Tuesday .... so now I've reserved our seats on the plane...makes it all seem more real!
That and the growing collection of holiday and evening clothes on the rail in the spare bedroom!! Galvanised into tackling all those alterations for which I've been saying for months "I've got loads of time" ....and now it's less than 6 weeks EEK!!
Watching the troubles in Bangkok with some trepidation....wonder if the "state of emergency" declared there this week will mean P&O cancel the visit? Any thoughts anyone?
Best Regards L

Topic author
ivygirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ivygirl »

It's so exciting now our cruise is so close! I've still got quite a few things to buy, hoping spring / summer stuff will be in soon. Are you flying from Heathrow? We have also booked our seat on the flight. Travelling to Heathrow on the 6th and staying overnight. Can't risk travelling on the day of the flight and getting delayed!!!! So see you soon!
Pat

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi Pat - we're flying 4th March, staying in HK for three nights and then joining Aurora. Not sure what we'll manage to do in HK - Stanley sightseeing, eating and shopping on the list, as well as visiting a night market and having a traditional dim sum...but we'll have to see how k****k***ed we are after the flight! Hope your preparations go well....have just finished alterations to shorten a new evening dress...only one pair of linen trousers to go and I can pack up the sewing machine!! Looking forward to meeting you on board. L

Topic author
ivygirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ivygirl »

We had 3 nights in Hong K nog after leaving Arcadia in 2011. Now I'm not very fond of cities but really enjoyed Hong Kong! Enjoy your stay! On another forum they have arranged a meet in Anderson's at 1100hrs on 9th March. Hope to meet you there! To be honest not thought too much of cruise clothes having more trouble finding my mother of the bride outfit!!!
Pat

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi Pat - had forgotten that you are finessing your daughter's wedding as well as getting read for a lovely long cruise...I can't begin to imagine how fraught that must be! If you haven't found it yet...I do hope you find your dream MotB outfit SOOON!
Spare bedroom here is Cruise HQ now ... and it's starting to loo very exciting....and FULL!?! Really have v little experience of fly-cruising...having to weigh all manner of things I've never even thought about before!
Following Aurora's progress on the webcam with great interest - when the satellite link is working. Had hoped to find someone sending home the odd blog....but sadly no sign as yet.
Many thanks for the info on the proposed meeting on board - we'll hopefully meet you there!!
Lesley

Topic author
ivygirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ivygirl »

Hi Lesley, there is a Facebook page for our cruise with regular updates
P & O Aurora World Cruise 2014.
also there is a Belinda Weisham who has a blog. But for some reason she has not posted since January 6th. I keep looking incase she comes back!
Same here, our spare rooms are covered with clothes. The small room for David and the bigger room for me!! Hoping to get my wedding outfit this week, then if can think of cruise stuff!
Pat

Carlos Price
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Carlos Price »

Aurora is just visible in the distance at Pier 35 on 'Webmarin.com Webcams Sanfrancisco Bay' . There is a good Video Cam at Pier 39; Aurora will pass this when she departs [but it will be 0300 to 0400 tomorrow]
Before you get to Hong Kong will also be able to see the Ship arrive /depart at Auckland and Sydney on the Harbour WebCams
Have a good trip

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Thanks Carlos - will keep monitoring!

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

Did this cruise it was brilliant some fantastic places and some of the artist on board were superb
John
Cruising is for everyone

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Welcome home John, glad you enjoyed your Worldie, you must feel as if you've been away forever, are you doing a review ??
Jo

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Thanks for the welcome home, went too quick though :)

Not much good at doing reviews sorry

John
Cruising is for everyone

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Welcome back John. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cruise, I know you were worried about being on a ship for such a long time. It goes very quickly though doesn't it. :thumbup:

Orcades
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Orcades »

I have been back 1 month now. It was wonderful. I always worried how I would feel after a World Cruise. I now know I want to go again asap aiming for January 2018 on Aurora. Aurora 2016 itinerary looks good, very similar to 2014 via South Africa with a few new ports, but being so near as a single I could only consider sharing. If you are interested in sharing please message me. In the mean time I can look back at my blog to reminisce :D . I am Just finishing of adding photos and videos. My blog enjoy http://worldcruise2014aurora.blogspot.co.uk/

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

emjay45 wrote:
Welcome back John. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cruise, I know you were worried about being on a ship for such a long time. It goes very quickly though doesn't it. :thumbup:
Thanks Emjay it was really brilliant and to short :).

John
Cruising is for everyone

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Orcades wrote:
I have been back 1 month now. It was wonderful. I always worried how I would feel after a World Cruise. I now know I want to go again asap aiming for January 2018 on Aurora. Aurora 2016 itinerary looks good, very similar to 2014 via South Africa with a few new ports, but being so near as a single I could only consider sharing. If you are interested in sharing please message me. In the mean time I can look back at my blog to reminisce :D . I am Just finishing of adding photos and videos. My blog enjoy http://worldcruise2014aurora.blogspot.co.uk/
I there I saw you onboard.
It really was a great cruise and some fantastic places.

Read a bit of your blog it is brilliant.
John.
Cruising is for everyone

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Orcades wrote:
Great blog, really enjoyed reading it and looking at all the lovely photos

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Belle53 wrote:
Orcades wrote:
Great blog, really enjoyed reading it and looking at all the lovely photos
Orcades - a wonderful blog. It took me most of one evening to read it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. How on earth did you manage with just two suitcases and one carry on ? I take that much for 2 weeks !!!

Maureen

Return to “World Cruises”