Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Oriana’s Final Christmas Cruise.

Post by Suekersh »

Sunday 6 January 2019 - Southampton

We had docked before midnight so a it was like sleeping on land but I missed the ships swaying movement.

We were up early as breakfast started at 06:30 in the main dining room. It was fairly quiet in there but had got busier as we left. Passengers still didn’t seem to realise that disembarking was going to be much earlier than normal.

We disembarked and waited in the visitors room for a phone call before meeting Steve our taxi driver who was collecting another couple who had been on our cruise and had parked at cruise park. We passed him our duty free and other things we wouldn’t need on the next cruise for him to pass to Ben to store in the boot of our car. Great service Ben thank you.

P & O had laid on a shuttle for transit passengers to the West Quay shopping Centre. Great but as it was a Sunday it was closed. We had arranged to meet friends at Asda. The are from Australia and were embarking Arcadia today for the cruise to Brisbane. We arrived at the same time and after lots of hugs we set off to find somewhere open to get a coffee and get warm. Luckily it was bright but very cold and poor Brendan and Rob were feeling it after leaving 40 degrees heat in Brisbane. The only place we could find open was Burger King. The coffee was dire but it didn’t matter as we chatted and caught up with their news and plans. Time just flew by and all too soon we had to say our goodbyes as they left to join Arcadia for their cruise back to Brisbane.

We bought the cabin essentials for the next cruise and then went to West Quay for some shoe shopping and a quick lunch in M & S before heading back on the shuttle to Oriana. It all worked out perfectly and we followed the crew on the shuttle to the crew gangway. We were back in the cabin before 2 p.m.

Main embarkation started just before 2:30 pm and the Priority drinks and Canapés at 2:30 p.m. We saw many familiar faces from both the Arcadia World cruise in 2017 and the Aurora South America cruise last year. The bubbles flowed well and my glass kept being filled up by the attentive waiters.

Our new cabin steward is James and is very friendly. It is his first contract as cabin steward but he appears very professional and nothing is too much trouble for him.

Our new Waiters are Nestor and Santosh and we were pleased to meet Sentil again as our diet waiter. Mario is our new wine waiter, so all change except we have kept the same dining table.

At the Welcome on board show Alex the entertainment manager introduced his team. There are 4 new members as Alejandro and Anthony finished their contract and were replaced by Sam, Sarah, Joe and Carl. The team must have been two members down last cruise but they all worked so hard we didn’t notice.

A new group called Protocol have replaced The Nauticals and the excellent news for Oriana dancers is that Caravan have jumped ship from Aurora .

We now have six sea days crossing the Atlantic before we reach Bermuda our first port of call.

Monday 7 January 2019 - 1 st Sea Day to Bermuda

The clocks went back an hour overnight which meant it was no hardship getting up for the early morning exercise class. I was amazed that the gym was full at 7 a.m. not only the exercise class but passengers using the equipment as well. Officially the gym doesn’t open until 8 a.m. but unless anyone in the cabins below complains then they may overlook it.
The second exercise class was a bit quieter but still over 100% busier than last cruise.

Whilst I was at breakfast Garry caught up with the laundry and then I ironed his shirts. We wandered around for a while chatting to various passengers we had met on previous cruisers. Garry saw Taryn the senior loyalty manager and enquired about our Peninsular luncheon. She said that there were so many Ligurian members on board that there was going to be one lunch just for our tier. Luckily it is not on a formal and not until later in the cruise.

The Guest speakers today are Joanna Hall who was also the speaker last year on Auroras South America cruise and Chris Walker who we have also seen on previous cruises. Both are excellent and interesting speakers. The third guest speaker is Paul Cook talking about Afghanistan, Heroin and the Silk Road. Unfortunately he clashes with the Battle of the Sexes.

The sea was very calm as we skirted the BOB heading South West and it was a bright sunny day and many passengers were walking the deck.

I went to the Battle of the Sexes where the ladies started very well and are in the lead. Joe the new Ents Officer had some difficulty with the electronic equipment and there were so many passengers in the Lords Tavern that he had a difficult job keeping control. He did really well for his first time. I only attend this event when the sun isn’t hot enough to sit outside.

My stalker Manuel Martinez has shown up again and as we haven’t attended his show for a long while we decided to give it a go. The best part of the show was the lady he chose to get up on stage who gave as good as she got and was more entertaining than him. It will be even longer before we go to see him again.

We finished the night in a Harlequins and talking to the lady who had been on stage during the show. She was great fun but admitted that she wouldn’t have done it except for the wine she consumed at dinner.
Caravan were playing the dance music and the floor was very busy.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Tuesday, 8 January 2019 - 2 nd Sea Day to Bermuda

The Gym was very busy again for the 7 a.m. Stretch Class but again quietened down slightly for the Abs class.

The Sea is very calm and the temperature around 12 degrees.

After breakfast we went to the Atrium area to see the Food & Beverage show case. Sindhu chefs were showcasing one of their chicken starter dishes and passing out small samples. It was delicious. I picked up a leaflet giving dates of the various tastings going on from Gin, wine, whiskey and champagne.

Most of the later morning was taken up by my hair. My butler changed heads and put on his rubber gloves to tackle my roots. I do wonder what went through our cabin stewards mind when he brought the ice bucket and Garry answered the door in blue rubber gloves.

I didn’t have time for lunch which won’t do me any harm. The Battle of the Sexes was better organised today but the ladies lost the day but are still in the lead. Some unhappy pax because the format is completely different to how it usually is. They will get over it but I just wish they would stop whingeing. We are on a fantastic holiday and I see no point in getting hot and bothered about a quiz.

Vouchers were delivered to the cabin from the shop entitling passengers to buy 1 bottle of alcohol for in cabin consumption. We had experienced this on the World Cruise when every sector a voucher was delivered.
When Garry collected a statement to check that all of the On board credit was correct he also noticed that payment was being taken part way through the cruise. This means there will be 2 Financial sectors so we may get more vouchers later in the cruise.

It was the 1 st formal night and the Captains Welcome on board party. Our invite was for the Pacific Lounge and the Captain arrived out of breath after first doing his speech at the Crows Nest Party which is just about as far away from the Pacific Lounge that you can get on this ship.
There were lots of waiters around handing out drinks and the bubbles flowed well.

We both opted for the Marcos Beef Wellington for dinner which was excellent as usual and there was my favourite Port Marinated Cheese to finish.

Caravan were playing in Harlequins for early evening dancing which we took advantage of as the venue was quiet. Later in the evening they hosted the Formal Night Ball.

Headliners were in theatre performing Stage door and Protocol were in the Lords Tavern.

We opted for the Big Band night with Chris Walker in the Crows Nest which was excellent and the Crows Nest was virtually full.

We noticed when we were returning to the cabin that the sea was getting rougher and we could hear the wind howling.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Wednesday 9 January - 3 rd Sea Day to Bermuda

The ship certainly handled the overnight storm well but the cabin was quite noisy with drawers opening with the motion and the clothes in the wardrobe moving around. I slept through most of it but as the clocks had changed again overnight I was up and about very early.

I opened my birthday cards including one from the Captain and Garry opened the champagne. A great way to start the day with a glass of fizz. When it finally came light the sun was shining and the sky was clear. The sea was still choppy as there was a 30 plus knot wind hitting the ship.

After breakfast we returned to the cabin to find a beautiful birthday cake from the the F & B manager. It tasted even better than it looked as the sponge was so light and moist.

The weather worsened during the day and the wind rose to 50 knots and a force 10. The decks were closed other than the space out side The Lords Tavern for the smokers.

The Battle of the sexes was supposed to start at 1 p.m. but it was running late due to the number of passengers playing the interactive bowling as there were no deck sports.
The ladies were triumphant once again but there isn’t a huge difference in the scores.

We had a light lunch in Al Frescos before returning to the cabin for more champagne and birthday cake. A plate of chocolates arrived from the ship for my birthday.
It was getting increasingly hard to stay upright so we stayed in the cabin and caught up with the port talks on Bermuda and Freeport.

Captain Alan did his usual early evening broadcast. He has such a sexy voice that it didn’t matter that the news wasn’t the best with the rough seas and wind to continue until tomorrow.

We had dinner in Sindhu and our Officer friend Ken joined us. It was a fabulous night with wonderful food, wine and great company.

The sea was still very choppy after we had finished dinner so we gave dancing in Harlequins a miss and instead opted for the Pacific Lounge where Caravan were singing Motown Hits. I couldn’t have wished for a better birthday.

Thursday 10 January 2019 - 4 th Sea Day to Bermuda

The sea and wind didn’t let up overnight and it was too rough for me to risk the gym. The sun was out and if only the wind would ‘do one’ it would have been a lovely day.
I gave the gym a miss had an early breakfast in the main dining room which gave me chance to catch up with two ladies I met on Arcadia in January 2017.

At 11 a.m. P & O had advertised a meet up for Facebook users. There was around 16 of us there and a chance to put names to photos. Garry stayed there chatting longer whilst I left him to it as the Battle of the sexes was at the earlier time of noon. The Ladies were victorious again but can still easily be caught with the many sea days on this cruise.

During the afternoon the wind dropped to 15 knots and as the sun was still shining I risked a walk outside. The decks had reopened and many passengers were taking the opportunity to get some air.

The Captains announcement had slightly better news re the weather but with still 1300 miles to go to Bermuda it could change again. The wind speed was down to 8 knots but tomorrow more wind to come and it could be back up to 30 knots and 4/5 metres sea swells. The Oriana is a great sailor and handles it very well.

It was our 2 nd formal night and Canapés and more chocolates arrived. Not a Marco menu but another excellent meal.

The entertainment was the Headliners in the Pacific Lounge with their Top of the Billboards show and violinist Craig Halliday in the theatre.

We went to the Crows Nest to listen to Protocol singing 60s & 70s music. They are an excellent duo and always draw a good crowd and have many followers on board. He was a member of the group Sweet and she was one of the voices on the song Startrekking around the Universe.

Another 2 sea days before we reach Bermuda.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Friday 11 January 2019 - 5 th sea Day to Bermuda

The hour had gone back again over night so now we are three hours behind the UK. I went to both exercise classes as although the ship was still moving around it was much better than yesterday morning. It is still very busy up there and passengers were using the machines much earlier that the 8 o clock start time. One lady arrived and complained saying she had a cabin underneath the gym. Bryan the instructor found the culprits and hopefully sorted the problem out.

Another sunny day with clear skies but still the strong wind persisted.it was pleasant enough for a walk outside and I was amazed to see people sat on the aft deck reading. They had found a sheltered spot and were making the most of the 18 degrees temperature.

Battle of the sexes and although the ladies lost the round by 10 points we are still in the lead. What we need to know though for future reference is when did Colchester move to East Anglia. I am sure it was in Essex last time I looked. We lost 20 points on that question and the men stole 10 points. Poor Joe got a barracking but all he could answer was well that’s what it says in the book and you can’t argue with a book! It is all in jest though and a fun way to spend an hour until the sun gets stronger and the wind drops.

The Captains early evening broadcast informed us that we are still 830 miles from Bermuda and tomorrow the winds will drop to force 3 and the sea swell will be 3 to 4 metres. He did qualify this statement by saying he had got the info from the afternoon watch and they could be related to Michael Fish. Ha Ha Captain Alan.

My stalker Manuel Martinez was back in the theatre and as Si had wasted 45 minutes of my life a few nights ago I wasn’t going to repeat the experience. Chris Walker was playing with the John James trio in the Crows Nest.

60s & 70s night in the Pacific Lounge was very well attended no doubt down to the duo Protocol performing.

Tomorrow is the final Sea day before we finally reach Bermuda.

silver surfer 2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by silver surfer 2010 »

Current weather for you Sue, enjoy your cruise

"Current weather in Hamilton (Jan 12, 2019)
Current weather in Hamilton
18 °C
64 °F
Current wind conditions in Hamilton
360°, 4,1 m/s
(3 Beaufort)
The report was made 22 minutes ago, at 18:55 UTC. The wind was blowing at a speed of 4,1 meters per second (9,2 miles per hour) from north (360°). The atmospheric pressure was 1025 hPa (30.27 inHg). The relative humidity was 63,6 %. There were scattered clouds at a height of 1097 meters (3600 feet) and scattered clouds at a height of 1920 meters (6300 feet). The overall visibility was greater than 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). Currently showers of in the vicinity.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all arrived in Bermuda around 2 p.m.. We let the crowds go and Garry finished watching the football. Sunny but chilly when the sun goes in. Yesterday’s report.

Saturday, 12 January 2019 - Final Sea Day to Bermuda

There was another hour change over night which now puts us on Bermuda time. The early morning exercise class continues to be popular with a queue forming from around 6:40 am every morning. The Gym and Al Frescos are next to each other and unusually the gym queue is longer than the food queue.

The wind had calmed down considerable and it was another bright sunny day with temperatures around 18 degrees and much more warmer in the sun. The decks were all open and the walkers were out in force. The sun decks started filling up during the day as passengers soaked up their first rays of the cruise.

As we had taken the Internet package I had downloaded some information on the Royal Naval Cemetery for a friend who was going in search of a relatives grave. I went to reception to get it printed off who after redirecting me to the library, and the library manager sending me back to reception were very helpful and Apple the young receptionist was extremely proficient.
Whilst I was there the Captain announced some bad news. Due to the weather conditions crossing the Atlantic Oriana will be approx 6 hours late arriving in Bermuda. This was not a big surprise as he had been announcing the miles left to sail for a couple of days and we knew that not only had the winds caused Oriana to decrease speed but also added more miles on due to sailing further South to miss the worst of a storm.

The Ladies didn’t do well in the Battle of the sexes but are still just about in the lead. Most of us are really enjoying the quiz but there are a few who just want to whinge and shout at Joe the entertainment officer all the time. It is getting tiresome and poor Joe although he shrugs it off must be feeling that he can’t do anything right. I was disgusted when one of the ladies shouted at him ‘We pay your wages’. If it continues I will not be participating again.

We have only been on board for a week and it was the third formal night. The entertainment was Il Destino in the theatre who are a Classical Crossover duo and were very entertaining, although after a bottle of wine I did feel my eyelids closing and my arm is bruised where Garry kept nudging me.

After the show we headed to the Crows Nest to listen to the excellent group Protocol and chat to Neil and Julie who we met at the Facebook meet.

Tomorrow, after six consecutive sea days , albeit later than scheduled, we will touch land in Bermuda.

silver surfer 2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

www.portbermudawebcam.com

Oriana in Bermuda

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Enjoy Bermuda. Having cancelled next year’s cruise, we STILL haven’t, nor will we, visited. One day - maybe!
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Sunday, 13 January 2019, Bermuda.

Another sunny day but the temperature was still only 18 degrees and the wind although it had dropped it was coming from the North and made it feeler cooler.

The Battle of the Sexes finished the day as a draw as the men won the again. There was less barracking today and a happier atmosphere.

The sail into Bermuda was lovely and we picked the pilot up at around 11:30 a.m and sailed past St George’s and arrived at the dock yard and tied up by 13:30 which was earlier than anticipated.

It took a while for the formalities to be completed and as passengers were queuing around the ship itching to feel land beneath them we decided to leave them to it and Garry finished watching the football.

We wandered around the Royal Naval Dockyard and although it was warm in the sun it certainly wasn’t Caribbean weather. There were one or two touristy places open including the Craft market but the prices were eyewateringly expensive. The bars seemed to be quite busy but the majority of passengers were around the tourist centre trying to access the free WiFi. A bus driver was drumming up business offering a round trip to St George’s with an hour there to look around for 10 dollars. If we hadn’t been there in October we may have took him up on the offer but the bus did look a bit decrepit.

We ate in the Beach House with fabulous views over the DockYard. We saw some passengers venturing off after their dinner but not many as it was quite cold. We decided to eat inside but had a window table. We both opted for the Lava Rock fillet steak which was excellent.

The entertainment was Comedian Jon Courtenay in the Pacific Lounge. He was hilarious and it was so good to have a decent comedian on board. The theatre was being used to show the movie Mamma Mia Here we go again.
After the Comedian had finished we went up on deck to listen to the local artist Robert Symmons Bermuda’s own Steel Drummer. We didn’t stay long as it was quite cold on deck but always good to see a local act.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Suekersh wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 14:02
The entertainment was Comedian Jon Courtenay in the Pacific Lounge. He was hilarious and it was so good to have a decent comedian on board

Totally agree with you Sue about Jon Courtenay. We cried with laughter when we saw him a few years ago. Haven't been lucky enough to see him since.

Hope the weather picks up for you soon.

Maureen.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

Very much enjoying your reports so thank you for the time you spend in writing them.

It is so uplifting to read them.

May I ask what vaccinations you needed for visiting the Carribbean?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Finker wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 17:53
You normally do not need any vaccinations for the Caribbean but the only definitive answer will be from your GP/Travel clinic.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 18:41
Finker wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 17:53
You normally do not need any vaccinations for the Caribbean but the only definitive answer will be from your GP/Travel clinic.
We were advised that none were compulsory but that FIVE were advisable … visit your local Travel Clinic / Doctor for up to date advice.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Monday 14 January 2019 - 2 nd day in Bermuda

The skies were very cloudy and threatening. We were in two minds on whether to get off or stay on board but knew we would regret it if we didn’t get off. We went on deck to test the temperature and soon went back inside to rummage out long trousers and fleeces. We had put these away not expecting to need them until on our way back home.
Some passengers were getting off in shorts and T shirts but the wind was very cold. It was fine in the sun as long as it was sheltered from the North wind.

We headed for the National museum which is also home to the Dolphin Quest. We have been here twice before but the trainers and carers of the Dolphins are so enthusiastic about their job and just love to chat to the public in between the feeding and training times of the Dolphins.

There is a small shop there and free wi fi with plenty of seats outside in the sun to watch the Dolphins perform. Last time we were here the Dolphins were being encouraged out of the Sanctuary and into the open water but today it was far too rough outside the walls.

We walked up to the Commissioners House and spent time in there where it was much warmer out of the wind. It is high up overlooking the whole Dockyard area and a great spot for taking photographs of the ship and surrounding area.

As the day was worsening we headed back to the ship and just about 200 yards away from the gangway the heavens opened. In the short space of time it took to get on board I was drenched even though I had a waterproof jacket on. We had a great few hours in Bermuda but it certainly wasn’t the temperatures we have had here in the past.

Sailaway was at 3:30 pm and had to be held in the Crows Nest because of the adverse weather conditions.

It was the Hollywood & The Kings in the theatre but as we had seen them previously and I hadn’t enjoyed the show we decided to give it a miss.
Anderson’s which is where we often go when the entertainment doesn’t appeal was closed due to a flood yesterday evening. Lords Tavern was heaving because Anderson’s was closed so after dinner we returned to the cabin to relax and read.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Enjoying reading your reports Sue. Thank you for posting.

silver surfer 2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Current weather in Nassau (Jan 16, 2019)
Current weather in Nassau
19 °C
66 °F
Current wind conditions in Nassau
010°, 2,1 m/s
(2 Beaufort)
The report was made 26 minutes ago, at 11:00 UTC. The wind was blowing at a speed of 2,1 meters per second (4,6 miles per hour) from north (010°). The atmospheric pressure was 1020 hPa (30.11 inHg). The relative humidity was 72,8 %. There were a few clouds at a height of 549 meters (1800 feet) and scattered clouds at a height of 1219 meters (4000 feet). The overall visibility was greater than 10 kilometers (6.2 miles).

Ships in Nassau on 17/01/2019
Note: We can only show those ships here that we have in our database.

Ship

Carnival Dream
Carnival Elation
Oriana
3 Ships 7,578 passengers

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Sue's having trouble posting on here so here's her latest report:-

Tuesday, 15 January 2019 - 1 st Sea Day to Freeport, Bahamas

It had been another Rock and roll night as the winds buffeted the ship.

We were hoping for warmer sunnier weather as we head South towards the Bahamas.

After breakfast I headed to the aft deck, the sun was shining but the pool was roped off because of the windy conditions. The wind was cool but the sun was hot. I got a bed and put layers on. The layers went on and off all morning as the clouds came over, then the sun burnt them off.

The range of temperature was huge.

I gave The Battle of the Sexes a miss as I didn’t want to leave the sun in case it disappeared again. However I met our Team Captain Lorraine and she informed that the ladies had stormed ahead of the men. I may have to miss it tomorrow as this was the best sea day we have had so far this cruise.

After dinner we went to see a new act for us called Wild Sax. A young lady from Liverpool who could certainly play that sax. (Editor's note, this has been amended from what Sue originally typed so as not to offend anyone #MeToo, #Snowflakes :lol: ) It was a wonderful fun performance to a packed house.

We walked past Anderson’s which was open except for the back area near the windows but it was very quiet so we moved on to Harlequins where Caravan were playing music for dancing. The dance instructors were hosting the dancing but I do prefer it when they aren’t there. It seems to flow better without them. Whereas Caravan announce the next dance whilst people on still on the floor the instructors wait for the floor to clear then announce the next dance. We have never come across this before either at sea or on land.

We called in The Lords Tavern hoping to see Protocol but it was packed out and Protocol had just finished their set.

Last sea day tomorrow before we reach Freeport in the Bahamas.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Certainly agree about Gemma Wild. She was on Oriana in October and was excellent. She seems to do a number of shows locally and was at Storyhouse in Chester just before Christmas.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Wednesday 16 January 2019 - 2nd Sea Day to Freeport Bahamas

After the exercise class I went to have a look on the aft deck and finally the sun was shining and although still quite cool at 8 a.m. it looked very promising. The beds were still piled up so I dragged Garry out to help me carry one into a sunny spot.

I had ordered room service breakfast so that I didn’t need to waste precious sun worshipping time in the dining room and I took this outside. It felt wonderful to finally feel the sun with some real heat behind it. The downside was that the wind had a bite to it and when clouds covered the sun the temperature dropped considerably. As the day progressed the sun won the battle and I stayed there all day.

The evening entertainment was the witty comedian piano playing Jon Courtenay who once again had the audience crying with laughter.

The Headliners were in the Theatre with their show Night of a1000 stars.

Tomorrow we arrive in Freeport.

Thursday 17 January 2019- Freeport, Bahamas

This was a new port for us and a maiden call for Oriana.

It was a great start as the sun was shining as we entered the port area. At first we thought there were 4 ships in as we could see 2 docked and another following us in. It turned out that the 2 ships docked were actually in dry dock being renovated. The one that followed us in looked like a very old Celebrity ship from the shape of the funnel.

Our original itinerary was for Oriana to call at Nassau but this was changed some weeks ago to Freeport as Nassau could not accommodate Oriana for refuelling.

We hadn’t particularly enjoyed the Nassau experience last October so we were happy with change of port.

I had a snorkel trip booked with a beach and shopping thrown in as well. There were only 13 of us and we were collected from the dock side on an air conditioned double decker bus with the roof taken off and a canopy put over and all the windows except the front ones were taken out. That was the air con. The driver gave us a running commentary about Freeport which was very interesting but so much info that very little has stuck. One snippet that did was the fact that they still drive on the left even after their independence from the UK but that they source their cars from the US. They discussed changing over to driving on the right but decided that the driver being away from the middle of the road saved lives. They obviously didn’t care about the passengers.

We arrived at the small marina and the boat that was very spacious could comfortably have taken 20 plus passengers. Such a difference from my snorkel trip in Nassau in October when 16 of us were crammed like sardines onto a boat more suited to take 10 passengers.

The two young skippers Dave One and Love One were excellent. They helped everyone board down quite a steep drop from the dockside and then set off for the 20 minute sail to Rainbow creek. The reef was one of the best I have seen in the Caribbean for a long time. The water was warm and crystal clear with many different species of fish and beautiful coloured Coral. Dave One was in the water ready to help anyone who needed it. There was only one man who was unhappy in the water and they helped him out the rest were competent swimmers and snorkelers.

After the snorkel experience we were taken back to the dockside and led about 200 yards to a private guarded complex. The beach was amazing. Soft white sand and clear turquoise water. The loungers were included. The shops were on site but a bit disappointing as they only sold the usual touristy tat. I was expecting a local craft market. I made the most of the sun and sea. There were anchored floating mats in the sea and hammocks in the trees. Plenty of waiters around to bring food and drink. I had 2 blissful hours here before the bus came to collect us to take us back to the port area. I would have preferred another hour or so here but this still ranks in one of the top ten organised tours I have done with P & O.

I went to find Garry who hadn’t had such a great day. He and over half of Orianas passengers and crew had decided to stay in the small Port area. Some of the shops had not even opened including the wooden hut where WiFi could be purchased. There was a very limited free WiFi which with around 1000 pax and crew trying to log in couldn’t cope. There were bars like Senor Frogs and Fat Tuesdays where the drinks were extortionate but free WiFi included. Fat Tuesdays appeared to be the crews choice as they were giving the 15% discount which was the service charge. The main small town was about twelve miles away and whereas the other ship in dock had supplied a shuttle P & O hadn’t. Passengers were not happy and as the majority had never been to Nassau to know what a dump it is felt very disgruntled about the change of port and lack of facilities here.

Captain Alan broadcast in his most sexy voice and I just knew it was not good news. The refuelling barge had turned up very late and was having problems getting the flow rate right. He stressed that it wasn’t a problem with Oriana but the barge. Nevertheless it was going to delay our departure. At 6 p.m. he came back on with the better news that the rate had increased and he hoped to be away by 7:30 p.m. and that the delay should not impact on our arrival in Cozumel on Saturday.

After another excellent dinner we went to the theatre to see Hollywood and the Kings. For the first time this cruise the entertainment was a bit lacking as there was nothing on in the Pacific Lounge and it must have been Protocols night off. The show was good and they certainly worked hard to entertain.

Oriana was only just departing Freeport as we left the theatre so another 2 hour delay. The Captain probably made an announcement but it wasn’t broadcast into the Theatre. He is certainly having a challenging cruise, with the stormy weather, plumbing issues, water from the Riviera pool flooding Anderson’s, and now the refuelling barge. He must be so looking forward to reaching Barbados and handing the ship over to Captain Sarah.

The entertainment team were on deck with Smooth Grooves advertised as chilled out tunes under the balmy night sky. We went outside but Balmy it certainly wasn’t but chilled is about right. I can’t wait to get further South into the Caribbean for the balmy nights on deck.

We opted to finish the night in Harlequins where Caravan were hosting the dancing.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

More from Sue:

Friday 18 January- Sea Day to Cozumel

I forgot to order room service breakfast so went with Garry to the buffet. The fruit choice there was far nicer than in the main restaurant which surprised me. I wouldn’t go when it is busy as I won’t queue for food but at 06:30 a.m. it was very quiet although we weren’t the only ones in there. I got a second helping of fruit and put it into the cabin fridge for lunch.

My plan was to get outside as soon as the sun came up at 07:15 but when I went out it was teeming down. It was warm though so definitely more like the Caribbean temperatures now and some early morning liquid sunshine is to be expected. Around 08:30 it stopped and although the deck was wet I got my bed in the sun and stayed there.

There was a bbq on the top deck but I was happy with my fruit and my butler brought me some cheese when he went for lunch. The sun was hot and at 24 degrees it was a perfect sea day. I didn’t feel the urge to use the pool so perhaps not as hot as it will eventually get.

We are still on latitude 23 and could see Cuba quite easily as we sailed by on our way to Cozumel. We are speeding along at over 20 knots to catch up the time we lost yesterday but as the sea is so calm it hardly feels like we are moving at all. We passed by many ships heading for the Panama Canal.

The Captains 6 p.m. broadcast assured everyone that the time lost in Re fuelling at Freeport had been made up and we were due to dock in Cozumel at around 8 a.m. There is certainly a buzz around the ship from the crew as this appears to be one of their favourite ports.

It was the 13th night of this cruise and our 5 th formal night. We have a break of around a week now before the next one. It was Marcos Lobster menu for dinner and once again the food was excellent although I opted for the sea bass instead.

Wild Sax gave another stunning performance in the theatre. There was a Black Tie Ball in Harlequins and we finished the night in the Lords Tavern with Protocol. Glen’s jokes are so stupid but are funnier than many of the comedians.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Next instalment:

Saturday, 19 January 2019 - Cozumel

Captain Alan and the bridge team managed to catch up the time lost by the ineptitude of the barge refuelling the Oriana. It didn’t appear to be an easy sail in to port and took a while before the ship was safely tied up.

Cozumel is Mexico’s largest Island and lies 12 miles off the Yucatan Peninsula.

I was booked on the snorkel trip and like all the trips going off today met in the theatre to go off in groups. We were advised that no fruit was allowed to be taken off the ship into Mexico and must be left on a table before disembarking. When I walked passed the table it looked like half the buffet was on there. There were some long trips going today to the mainland and the Mayan Ruins so they definitely weren’t impressed with the no fruit rule.

The Mexican authorities obviously didn’t trust us to abide by their laws and after a long walk to the terminal we joined a long queue. I thought it was to show passports as we needed to have those with us in Mexico but no it was to search our bags for the forbidden fruit. Captain Alan was there checking that all of his passengers were fine which I thought was a nice touch as it can be quite intimidating for elderly passengers to have their bags hand searched by unsmiling foreign officials.

The snorkel trip was on an old fishing boat which had been renovated to look like a Pirate ship. At first my heart sank as I had expected a Catamaran but the ship was kitted out with toilet facilities and a shower. There was an upper deck which after the safety briefing and the issuing of equipment was open for use. Up there were comfy lounging chairs which sort of made up for the netting area on a Catamaran.

We reached the first of three reef stops and the crew helped the passengers get into the water. The easiest and quickest way was to to jump in. The reef was good with different species of fish. The two members of the crew were both free divers and they disappeared regularly to point out different species of fish and other creatures lurking at the bottom of the ocean. I was amazed when I looked up and saw Oriana very close by. What I hadn’t realised was that the Pirate boat had been following us and the current had taken us back towards the port.

The second stop was at a marine reserve where the reef is being monitored and encouraged to grow. This was very interesting as there were nurseries with lots of young tiny fish as well as new Corals growing.

The third stop was at a much deeper reef and there wasn’t as much to see. We were right on the edge of the reef and it was very deep although the crew still managed to free dive down to bring up live conch shells. They were very careful to return it back to its home.

The crew were excellent and attentive to passengers needs at all times. Getting out of the water and back on the boat was challenging for some as it was a steep vertical metal ladder and not easy to negotiate. Another successful snorkel trip.

Garry had done the laundry and was watching the football when I returned to the cabin. I had a quick shower then we set off to explore the port area together. It was very expensive commercialised and tacky but one or two smaller local shops as well. The complex was not true Mexico but the town was quite a way off and once again P & O had not laid on a shuttle bus. It was not worth it for us to get a taxi for the short time we would have had in town. We wandered around and made a few purchases. The sun was hot and I needed a beer. We settled into a bar with shade overlooking the harbour. I enjoyed the beer but once my thirst was quenched I moved onto the Margarita. There was a ‘ how much moment’ when the bill arrived but I couldn’t leave Mexico without sampling their famous cocktail.

Late afternoon just before departure there was a local folklore group performing on the Riviera deck. The deck was packed as were the upper levels. The group consisted of approx 20 members singing dancing and playing the local instruments. They were brilliant and a really nice send off from Mexico.

Mickey Zany was in the theatre and it was standing room only. He was very funny even though we had seen him before. We then moved on to the Crows Nest as Protocol were playing in there. Another excellent night but Garry was speaking to Glen earlier and this will be their final contract with P & O as they are retiring.

It was a casual night on board with a Tropical theme and a Salsa party on deck with Caravan. Finally a warm balmy Caribbean deck party.

Tomorrow we are in Roatan, Honduras.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We called at Cozumel on our very first cruise back in 1997, and I remember hoards of youngster being half carried, half dragged back on board after the Margaritas. We did a trip to Tulum, which had the bluest sea I have ever seen in my whole life. We’ve never made it back, but I think we’d like to some day.
Gill

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Next two days from Sue

Sunday, 20 January 2019 - Roatan, Honduras

The clocks went back again overnight putting us 6 hours behind the UK. The day started sunny and very hot. It was a picturesque sail into Mahogany Bay which is a purpose built cruise complex.

We disembarked a few minutes after the deputy Captains announcement and followed the stream of passengers with the same purpose. There was a cable car ride to the beach but at 14 US per person it seemed very expensive. It only saved about a 500 yard walk to the beach area. The walk was very pleasant through tropical gardens with nature trails and exotic plants and trees. We could hear the birds but didn’t see any as the woodland was so dense.

To get into the beach area we had to show our cruise card. The beds which were plentiful were free of charge and there was lots of natural shade. The sunshades cost 26 US dollars which was extortionate.

The beach is man made fine clean sand. The whole complex was very clean and well maintained it just felt a bit clinical. We could have been anywhere in the world. The sea was warm and there was a large roped off swimming area which made it safe from the water sport area. Many of the off duty crew were really enjoying the facilities. It was great to see them enjoying their leisure time. We had intended to spend the day here so paid 5 US dollars for the all day wi fi. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated just before noon. We saw the storm brewing in the distance and managed to get dressed and move into the Bar seconds before the deluge. The forecast had been for scattered showers but this particular shower lasted for the rest of the day.

After a couple of beers we headed back to the ship during a lull in the rain but hadn’t got far when the deluge started again and by the time we reached Oriana we were like drowned rats.

The Sailaway Party was cancelled as it was still raining at 4:30 p.m. as we left the dock. After dinner we went to look out on deck and it was still teeming down.

Such a shame that our first visit to Roatan was spoilt by the weather.

We are at sea tomorrow as we head towards Puerta Limon in Costa Rica.

Monday, 21 st January 2019 - Sea Day to Puerto Limon.

It was another sunny morning and I secured a sunbed on the aft deck before breakfast. It was lovely and quiet but started filling up quickly. As we were heading virtually due South only the beds right at the very back were in the sun.

I could have stayed there all day but it was our special Ligurian lunch at noon and I very reluctantly gave up my spot in the sun for more food.

The Captain visited every table to say a few words and we had a laugh about his sexy voice he only uses when giving out bad news.

It was a great lunch hosted by our friend Kenneth who is the food and beverage manager. He was a very attentive host but as there are so many top tier passengers on this cruise the tables were for 9 and at the aft end of the restaurant which is very noisy because of the engines. It was difficult to talk to all the passengers. We were well looked after by the wine stewards but I was careful as I didn’t want to waste the afternoon sleeping.

I was lucky and a sunbed next to where I had spent the morning was vacant. I managed another few hours in the sun before it went down. It was still very pleasant temperatures even without the sun.

We didn’t bother with the after dinner entertainment and had a lazy evening reading. I had intended to go to listen to Protocol in the Pacific Lounge but the days food and drink finally caught up with me.

Tomorrow we are Puerto Limon, Costa Rica.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Tuesday, 22 January 2019 -Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Today is the start of the 2nd financial sector of the cruise and our statement was outside the cabin door as we went to breakfast.

Captain Alan broadcast early just after we had arrived at the Port. It had been another challenge docking due to the swells and wind. The ship was tied up securely but it was too choppy to put the gangways out and he was going to try again as soon as the swells lessened. It didn’t take too long but the tours were delayed by about half an hour.

It was a hot and sticky day. Yesterday our plans for today had changed. We were meant to be on a trip which included a Train, Banana Plantation and the Tortuga Canal but Garry had gone over on his foot and was having difficulty walking. We made the decision to cancel as there was a huge wait list for tickets for this trip. It was the only trip we had booked together and I didn’t want to go on my own.

The town and market area were only a short distance from the ship. The market was quite interesting with locally made jewellery with stones from the river bed. I didn’t get to see the Tortuga Canal but a least I got some jewellery from it. There were lots of Coffee stalls as Costa Rica is famous for coffee. We bought from a stall which purely sold coffee and the vendor was very knowledgeable.

The town itself was not pleasant, to put it kindly it was a dump but the people were friendly.

We found a local bar with free WiFi, the beers were half the price of the plastic cruise centres of Roatan, Cozumel and Freeport and the WiFi was fast and reliable. We thought that David the bar man and waiter was the owner as he worked so hard to fill the bar up moving tables and chairs outside for everyone. He did a roaring trade but told us he was an employee and was frustrated with his employer who wouldn’t spend any money on the bar to make it more inviting.

We were back on ship for lunch as there was no way I could have been enticed to eat in the town. I set myself up in the sun on the aft deck and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon. It was hot hot hot and gradually the aft deck filled up as passengers returned from the tours.

Captain Alan’s early evening broadcast included the approximate timings he was expecting for arrival and entry to the Panama Canal.

We ate in Sindhu and as this was the first night of the new sector it was at a reduced price. Another excellent meal and a different menu to the last time we ate here for my birthday.

It was Mickey Zany’s final show in the theatre but after the meal we just sat on the aft deck enjoying the warm night air.

Tomorrow is the Panama Canal day.

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”