Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Around Britain cruise

Post by Whynd1 »

Morning all

Am looking for a little advice, have booked a different cruise this time the Around Britain on Oriana in June.

We will be calling at
Killybegs, Cobh and Dublin.
Also Greenock,Lerwick and Kirkwall.
Also Torshaven.
Has anyone any advice or suggestions for these ports of call.

Thanks
Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Around Britain cruise

Post by Manoverboard »

To get the ball rolling ...

Killybegs … is a pleasant enough place but it is also ideally situated for a few trips within this beautiful region.

Cobh … of Titanic fame, a lovely place. Great for a DIY walk-a-bout and a pint of Guinness while sitting on the Harbour Wall.

Dublin … deffo DIY, try the HoHo bus and visit the Guinness Storehouse followed by Kilmainham Jail.

Greenock … a trip to Lock Lomond and the Trossachs is a good choice on a fine day.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I did a Round Britain cruise on Ruby Princess in 2014 - I did write a report at the time - some of the ports are the same - may be of some help. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise - I'm sure you will too.
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Greenock - did PO excursion into Glasgow. A lot of people did it independently but we are not that brave. PO excursion stopped in North Hanover St by the bus station and we walked down the hill to George Street to catch a HOHO bus (approx £14 pp). When we got back to Glasgow we went into the shops in Buchanan Galleries by the bus station.

Some people stayed in Greenock and went on a little private trip around the area which the locals put on. The locals were very friendly and welcoming. A pipe and drum band played on the portside as we started to leave.

Kirkwall - First time we went we caught a local bus from the bus station which took us to Skara Brae and Scarpa Flow. I think there are only a couple of trips a day, one about 10am and one at 2pm. In 2014 it cost us £8.30 each and covered 2 till 5.30 pm and included an hour or so to go around the house and stoneage settlement remains at Skara Brae. Second time we went we just wandered around the nice little town, Again bagpipes and drums playing on the dockside as we left.

Torshaven - We just wandered around locally. Saw the old houses with the grass growing on the roof. Mid June and temperature dropped considerably so didn't stay out too long. Will do a trip when we call there in July.

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

In Greenock we have done two of their local free tours on two different cruises. They are about 2 hours long and are free but you can if you wish give a donation to the tourist group to go towards the cost of putting these trips on.

https://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/content/tours/

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

From Greenock: If you haven’t been, Glasgow is a good bet if the weather isn’t great. There is Kelvin Hall art gallery & museum also the Gallery of Modern Art. The transport museum is also worth a visit. Unfortunately The Burrell Collection museum is closed for refurbishment & also The School of Art suffered a serious fire.
If it’s good weather then I agree with Loch Lomond &/or The Trossachs.
Oh, & look out for the sugar boat!
Last edited by Ranchi on 14 Jan 2019, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you. If the weather is good hope to do Loch Lomond.

Lindsey

Return to “Europe”