Just booked!

Discussions about anything related to Ventura

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Just booked!

Post by Hoganofon »

Hello, excited we've just booked a 12 night cruise on Ventura. Would have liked a smaller ship but having time restraints eg have to go when dog sitter is free, and not over our 4th grandchild's birth in early July etc. Oh also, it's to celebrate my 60th in April. I used to be a young Steiner hairstylist in my younger days and worked on the old Oriana & QE2 so love being on board, hate flying etc. Our cabin is on the Riviera deck with a balcony & partial shade, but we're not bothered about that. Is it really crowded or can you always find a peaceful spot on board? To be honest, i'm just looking forward to it, we're not the type to find fault with everything so looking forward :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Just booked!

Post by barney »

Ventura is a great ship to be on.
Try the Glass House for a meal.
It's a little extra but worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy your holiday and welcome to this forum. :wave:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Hoganofon »

Thank you, we will. It looks fab! Super excited now. Weather will hopefully begin to warm by end of April Canaries.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It should be very nice by then.
The sail down may not be so great, but after Madiera, it will be lovely.
Top tip.
In Gran Canaria, there is a really nice beach (las canteras) within walking distance of the dock.
Check it on Google Map.
There are many nice places to eat along the promenade if that's your thing.
Teneriffe is nice and easy DIY.
Lanzarote not so interesting so may be worth a trip.
La Palma is a lovely little place and nice just to walk around and have a drink & tapas.
Lisbon is nice if you haven't been there many times before and is easy DIY.Funchal, the same.
If you haven't done it before, try the sledge ride back down. Not cheap but very memorable.
You can DIY this with a bit of research and that's a lot cheaper than P&O
Get a cab back to town after as it's a long walk. The price is negotiable with the drivers.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, the sledge ride at Madeira is great fun. And the glass house is our favourite and a must do each time we are on board. :thumbup:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We also enjoy the Beach house extra but worth it in our opinion, the sizzling plater is always good 👍

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Hoganofon »

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! Looking forward as i've never been to the Canaries! All my sailing when young was Eastern USA & Caribbean, Iceland & as far up as Corner Brook in Canada. All that was as a hairstylist on board! Have gone on Hurtigruten on a voyage north which was amazing for my 50th, and MSC to the Med with husband's male voice choir who were entertaining the passengers, So some ports/places to explore this time 😀

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Lisbon - Pastis de Belem. Absolutely heavenly!!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

In Funchal walk along the fronts to the cable car which takes you up to the Monte Palace Tropical Garden. Having walked through these lovely gardens it's only a short way to the toboggans. You can actually watch the toboggans from the gardens if you don't fancy doing it yourselves but it is a good experience.

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Hoganofon »

Sounds fab! I remember my cousin s and Uncl & Aunt taking a cruise when we were very young. The excitement on their return with the photos of them on the Tobogan run in Madeira is a vivid memory. It was about 40 years ago!! 😳

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Sit on the wall in the gardens, watch the toboggans coming down, smoke puffing out from the guides shoes as they slow you down and cars coming uphill!!! Eeeeek!!! Do it!!

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Hoganofon »

Haha!! Not sure my joints would take it on the toboggan run, more of a Gondola girl really! Hoping to get a good afternoon on a beach, although we're not ones for beach every day holidays, an afternoon or two would be very welcomed. Looking on many youtube vids of the ship so i feel i'll know it like the back of my hand!
Which hotel in Southampton do you all recommend, thinking of going down by train the day before. 🚉☺️🚂

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Hotels are very subjective. The prices vary enormously. Last time we stayed in the dolphin in the high street and it was fine. The time before we stayed in the travelodge and that was also fine. It's really up to what you want.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I would recommend the new Harbour Hotel (NOT the Grand Harbour) While not cheap, it is exceptionally good.
Gill

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Hoganofon »

Yes, i've seen the Harbour. We've discussed and think that we're going to take the coach option down by now. We could easily drive, but husb drives a lot with work so i want him to rest too, i would drive, but when there's an option of a coach from almost your doorstep here in North Wales, then we'd be silly not too. 😊

Return to “About Ventura”