Breaking News!!

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Breaking News!!

Post by Onelife » 01 Feb 2019, 15:15

Mother of three-year-old girl becomes first person in UK to be found guilty of female genital mutilation.....

Little info so far but my initial reaction is that l hope she gets 25 years minimum.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Breaking News!!

Post by GillD46 » 01 Feb 2019, 15:43

Horrific. Poor child.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 01 Feb 2019, 15:57

There are definitely some cases where "an eye for an eye" seems to be an appropriate approach - this being one of them!

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 01 Feb 2019, 16:00

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Feb 2019, 16:04

I guess she comes from an area of the World where the practice is ' traditional ', that being the case what right do we have to condemn it and/or the mother even though it may be abhorrent to the average Brit ?

She will doubtless claim that ' her ' human rights are being violated and the case will be dropped.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 01 Feb 2019, 16:08

Manoverboard wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:04
hat being the case what right do we have to condemn it and/or the mother even though it may be abhorrent to the average Brit
It is not that it is abhorrent (which it is) but it is illegal in the UK - if people want to maintain the "traditions" of their homeland then it is simple - go back there.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Feb 2019, 16:16

I wouldn't disagree with you …. but I fear the outcome will not be as punitive as OL is hoping for.

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 01 Feb 2019, 17:21

Manoverboard wrote:
I guess she comes from an area of the World where the practice is ' traditional ', that being the case what right do we have to condemn it and/or the mother even though it may be abhorrent to the average Brit ?

She will doubtless claim that ' her ' human rights are being violated and the case will be dropped.
It doesn't matter where or what tradition this barbaric practice originates from, what matters is that young girls are being subjected to theses practices in order that they lose the desire to be promiscuous...no doubt a tradition passed down from father to son.

Hopefully she will get the full 14 years Mob.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 01 Feb 2019, 18:12

Onelife wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 17:21
Manoverboard wrote:

It doesn't matter where or what tradition this barbaric practice originates from, what matters is that young girls are being subjected to theses practices in order that they lose the desire to be promiscuous...no doubt a tradition passed down from father to son.

Not long enough

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 01 Feb 2019, 18:21

Stephen wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 18:12
Onelife wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 17:21
Manoverboard wrote:

Not long enough
I think that's the legal max. But I agree throw the book at her. It may be acceptable elsewhere in the world but it isn't in the UK. It is illegal and barbaric.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 01 Feb 2019, 22:35

It isn’t just barbaric, it causes terrible problems when these girls have babies, often life threatening.
Gill

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 02 Feb 2019, 08:06

As usual in this country, the punishment never fits the crime. Even if she did get 14 years, how many would she actually do, 7-10 at most. A joke

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 02 Feb 2019, 08:25

Stephen wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 08:06
how many would she actually do, 7-10 at most
But I suspect that they will be 7-10 very unpleasant (and hopefully probably painful) years.
Last edited by david63 on 02 Feb 2019, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 02 Feb 2019, 09:46

OK, so … vengeance is mine said the Lord etc

Let's consider 7, 10 or 14 years … would you prefer that she takes her three year old daughter with her into a prison occupied by druggies and scumbags various or is it better that the Mother has restricted access to her child. In either event it is the child who will be punished.

It may be illegal but I think it was ill thought out.

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 02 Feb 2019, 09:58

Women around the world are speaking out about their experiences and advocating change.

“It is what my grandmother called the three feminine sorrows: the day of circumcision, the wedding night and the birth of a baby.” –From “The Three Feminine Sorrows,” a Somali poem

"My two sisters, myself and our mother went to visit our family back home. I assumed we were going for a holiday. A bit later they told us that we were going to be infibulated. The day before our operation was due to take place, another girl was infibulated and she died because of the operation. We were so scared and didn't want to suffer the same fate. But our parents told us it was an obligation, so we went. We fought back; we really thought we were going to die because of the pain. You have one woman holding your mouth so you won't scream, two holding your chest and the other two holding your legs. After we were infibulated, we had rope tied across our legs so it was like we had to learn to walk again. We had to try to go to the toilet. If you couldn't pass water in the next 10 days something was wrong. We were lucky, I suppose. We gradually recovered and didn't die like the other girl. But the memory and the pain never really go away." –Zainab, who was infibulated at the age of 8 (from WHO)

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 02 Feb 2019, 10:08

I understand the consequences for the child Mob but from what l have been reading about this woman the child would be better off being fostered.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 02 Feb 2019, 11:53

But a little girl of 3 would lose her bestest Mummy … come on OL, you're all heart.

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 02 Feb 2019, 16:36

Manoverboard wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 11:53
But a little girl of 3 would lose her bestest Mummy … come on OL, you're all heart.

Thats exactly what my wife said when l bought her a torch for Christmas :thumbup: :)

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 02 Feb 2019, 16:49

Onelife wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 16:36
Manoverboard wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 11:53

Thats exactly what my wife said when l bought her a torch for Christmas :thumbup: :)

Start buying extravagant presents like that can give us blokes a bad name :)

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 08 Mar 2019, 17:43

She got 11 years+2 for taking indecent images

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47502089

I would have strapped a parachute to her and dropped her off in Uganda

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 08 Mar 2019, 18:11

Onelife wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 17:43
She got 11 years+2 for taking indecent images

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47502089

I would have strapped a parachute to her and dropped her off in Uganda

....with the harness straps cut.

Topic author
Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 09 Mar 2019, 10:58

I was thinking along the same lines Stephen but according to reports she delved into witchcraft which means she would have probably resorted to her broomstick :thumbdown:

Return to “General Chat”