Mauritius

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Mauritius

Post by GillD46 »

I am writing these little pieces when I get into bed, so there should be more later. Until then, the weather!

It is fabulous in the mornings, we are always on the beach and snorkeling by about 8.30 am. Afternoons quite a lot of cloud builds and it can sometimes rain, although we haven’t had any - yet! During the sunny hours it is very hot, we HAVE to sit under a parasol. The sea is lovely and warm. Being on the east, we have quite a bit of wind in the afternoons! Which can make it feel cooler than it is - and we can burn! Evenings are warm and humid, not only do we not need any sort of wrap or cardigan, it would be unbearably sticky to wear anything. I tried loose linen trousers and a loose linen top a couple of nights ago - far too hot. All I can bear is a linen shift.

It’s a long time since I posted pics, but I’ll try and remind myself what to do, and will post some later.
Gill

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gill

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Great snorkeling around these rocks.
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Oh Gill you are whetting my appetite and I still have 6 weeks and 2 days to wait. Looks fantastic.

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

ImageThis is from the alternative, more fine dining restaurant terrace...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gill

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Thank you, that beach looks wonderful, almost like talcum powder.

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Since we arrived on Tuesday we really haven’t done too much as yet. I arrived with sciatica and all the snorkeling hasn’t helped it. What really made things worse was that yesterday, while Tony had gone on a snorkeling trip out to the edge of the reef - too deep for me, as I am a very poor swimmer - I slipped and fell getting into the pool, landing on my poorly hip. Needless to say, the pain is now considerably worse, so we are staying put for the time being. The hotel has sent a sun lounger to our room as I am finding sitting at the table and chairs on the terrace too uncomfortable.

The hotel has two main restaurants: the buffet restaurant that serves a hugely extensive, very good quality breakfast. What I hadn’t considered until getting here, is the strong French influence, so at breakfast they prepare crepes - and they are finding their way onto my plate daily - along side beautiful tropical fruits! This restaurant is also open for lunch, on a small scale, and eachevening there is a themed buffet of superb quality. Tonight for example was Asian/Oriental. Oh my, it was fabulous, and even for me, a strict veggie, there were at least 7 or 8 choices.

Then there is the Plantation, a beach front more fine dining experience, open at lunch time for meals or snacks and then for dinner with linen tablecloths and a fabulous a la carte menu. We ate there on Wednesday and it was absolutely exceptional. They also offer snacks around the pool and on the beach, which are also very good quality.

Entertainment is very low key: a regular pianist and singer, with the occasional local dance troupe. I would say this is perhaps the weak spot, although it suits us just fine. There are a few families but most people seem happy to retire early.
Last edited by GillD46 on 15 Mar 2019, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Your flights sounded amazing - so glad you've shared your experience with us - can't see me ever experiencing 1st class - I'll have to start buying a lottery ticket ;)

The hotel sounds fab too - looking forward to hearing more about your holiday - take care :thumbup:
Janis

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

So sorry to hear about your tumble, hopefully you have some medication with you to ease the pain.
It all sounds wonderful, enjoy your luxurious surroundings and the magnificent cuisine.
Take care.

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We are now a week into our holiday and it has had its ups and downs. We still really like the hotel, but have as yet to see anything of the island. The fall I had getting into the pool has given me awful pain in my hip and leg, so bad that a couple of days ago I was considering calling a Dr out, as much for something more powerful than Paracetamol as anything. But since then it has improved slightly, and knowing how highly sensitive I am to analgesia, I am struggling on. I suspect I shall need to go for an x-ray on our return, if it continues.

The weather has remained very good, though today has been extremely windy, and the beach boys were talking about taking down the parasols - but fortunately it didn’t quite need that. Meals continue to be fabulous and I fear may mean a serious diet when we get home. We do two nights at the buffet, followed by a night at the fabulous Plantation - which is where we are dining tonight.

We are “hoping” to go the the market at the local town tomorrow, and the Botanical Gardens on Friday, but it really does depend on my mobility.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Oh Gill, how frustrating for you. I hope the pain continues to ease and you can start a little bit of sightseeing.

Best wishes.

Maureen

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Today we took a taxi to Flacq to the market about 15-20 minutes away. Oh my goodness, this is the biggest market I have ever seen. We spent ages walking up and down the narrow aisles, crammed full of fruit, veg and spices, then behind them, what seemed like acres of small shops and stalls selling - well everything! Everything from electronics, to household good, clothes, toiletries, tourist tat - you name it, it was there. Many of the “shop keepers” I would say were Indian, and a good many were trying to get us to buy, but there was no pressure. Bartering was received well, and while I am sure we probably could have done better, we were happy.

It was so hot in there though. I was melting and very wet from the heat. It was also horrendously busy, particularly the produce section. Our driver had waited for us, so after 90 minutes we were glad to get into his nicely air conditioned car. By this time my back was seriously aching so we returned to the hotel and the beach!
Gill

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Life has gone on here much the same, but now we are very strongly feeling the effects of Cyclone Joaninha. The wind is exceptionally strong, branches are breaking off the palms, it is lashing down with rain and there are 20-30’ waves crashing over the reef. Earlier today, the waves were coming up the beach into areas that have never been under water according to the manager.

We are due to fly home on Tuesday afternoon, but the couple in the next room who are due to fly tomorrow, have been told their flight may not get in, and the cyclone is still 300 miles away!

If we have to stay an extra day or so, so be it, but poor people of Rodrigues are about to be battered - again - and I feel for them.
Gill

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”