Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stand Up 2 Cancer

Post by david63 » 26 Oct 2019, 11:02

I saw this last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWK8Ilv73I

Be warned you will not have a dry eye.

It is probably one of, if not the, most powerful video for the fight against cancer that I have ever seen.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Stand Up 2 Cancer

Post by Manoverboard » 26 Oct 2019, 11:19

You cannot ' watch ' a fight against cancer, you can only experience it first hand …. just saying.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 26 Oct 2019, 12:12

Of course you can't imagine what someone is really going through Moby, but Bill Turnbull's documentary the other evening gives you an insight to what it must be like.
Last edited by Stephen on 26 Oct 2019, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 26 Oct 2019, 13:21

My best friend lost his fight against cancer only a few weeks back. it is a horrendous disease.
The company I work for is looking for a 'cure' to cancer. At the minute chemotherapy is like blanket bombing the entire UK to try to kill a single person - and the choice of which drug to use can sometimes be down to potluck. Our owner's belief is that if they can isolate the exact mutations at a genomic/proteomic level then they can create a 'vaccine' specific to that mutation and the cure will effectively be little more than a flu jab. It is a while off because they need to get a large enough database of samples before they can really start making informed decisions (and to think only 10 years ago people complained about governments wanting to build DNA related databases) - and the costs are expensive.

The one thing at the back of my mind though is, if we find a 'cure' for one or more cancers then what next? Will heart disease be the big killer or will our bodies mutate more with a new disease?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 » 26 Oct 2019, 19:48

There will be many on this forum who have have lost family members and friends to this dreadful disease,
Some like myself have had cancer and are still here and truly thankful.
For me its always at the back of my mind if i have aches and pains,I suffer from lymphoedema.
When I went back to work, I was told I would have to up my game and catch up with the rest of my team and I worked in hr !!!

I left 10 months later.
I find these days I am less patient but more compassionate.
I just love my cruising, it's so nice to have something to look forward to.

Return to “General Chat”