General Election

Chat about anything here
User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

General Election

Post by david63 » 30 Oct 2019, 08:44

As there will be no Brexit to talk about for the next six weeks it looks as if we will have to move over to the GE!

I wonder if anyone has realised yet that the first day of the new parliament will be on a Friday 13th

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 30 Oct 2019, 09:36

I thought parliaments recall would be on 23rd December, or have I dreamt that? Of course even the govt might not be known on the 13th if there's no clear majority.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 2013
Location: Hampshire

Re: General Election

Post by CaroleF » 30 Oct 2019, 12:10

I did believe the only way out of the mess we're in was a General Election but on my birthday!

Carole


CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 2013
Location: Hampshire

Re: General Election

Post by CaroleF » 30 Oct 2019, 12:14

I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3016
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: General Election

Post by Gill W » 30 Oct 2019, 12:29

CaroleF wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:14
I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole
They’ll have to do the same as Conservatives who are Remainers - find someone else to vote for!
Gill

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7717
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: General Election

Post by Manoverboard » 30 Oct 2019, 13:26

CaroleF wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:14
I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole
Here in the South West many of the Lib Dem seats are marginal so if their ' leavers ' vote elsewhere, or more likely abstain, it follows that they will finish up with less seats rather than more ... either way 200 is a ridiculous target to project :thumbdown:

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3191
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: General Election

Post by barney » 30 Oct 2019, 14:34

Gill W wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:29
CaroleF wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:14
I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole
They’ll have to do the same as Conservatives who are Remainers - find someone else to vote for!
I think you are 100% correct Gill.
This election may throw up a few unusual results.
The Libdem standing where I now live has had to stand down due to offensive comments on social media.
Being a strong leave area, I'd guess the Tory is a shoe in although there is a local Brexit lady candidate who will stand.
An Exmoor lady. They breed em tough there.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3191
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: General Election

Post by barney » 30 Oct 2019, 14:37

Manoverboard wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:26
CaroleF wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:14
I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole
Here in the South West many of the Lib Dem seats are marginal so if their ' leavers ' vote elsewhere, or more likely abstain, it follows that they will finish up with less seats rather than more ... either way 200 is a ridiculous target to project :thumbdown:
Swinson is only keeping the seat warm. After brexit they will realise that the likes of Chukka will turn them into Labour lite.
That may be their best shot at expansion.

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 30 Oct 2019, 15:40

barney wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:37
Manoverboard wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:26
CaroleF wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:14
I was going to post this on the Brexit thread but then realised it's better on here - according to the reports today the Lib Dems reckon they are going to get 200 seats - really? What are Lib Dems who are Leavers supposed to do now that the LDs have said their policy is to remain and cancel Brexit - that's assuming there are Lib Dems who are Leavers.

Carole
Here in the South West many of the Lib Dem seats are marginal so if their ' leavers ' vote elsewhere, or more likely abstain, it follows that they will finish up with less seats rather than more ... either way 200 is a ridiculous target to project :thumbdown:
Swinson is only keeping the seat warm. After brexit they will realise that the likes of Chukka will turn them into Labour lite.
That may be their best shot at expansion.

Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 30 Oct 2019, 16:49

barney wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:37
Manoverboard wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:26

Here in the South West many of the Lib Dem seats are marginal so if their ' leavers ' vote elsewhere, or more likely abstain, it follows that they will finish up with less seats rather than more ... either way 200 is a ridiculous target to project :thumbdown:


Swinson is only keeping the seat warm. After brexit they will realise that the likes of Chukka will turn them into Labour lite.
That may be their best shot at expansion.
................

It's a bit of a joke that they still call themselves the liberal Democrats when they have failed to uphold the very essence of democracy.

Not wishing to knock her too much but when it comes to weak leaders she (Swinson) is right up there with Corbyn.
The way she delivers her monotone speeches is comparable to that of my numerous spelling mistakes ...embarrassing!!

Make no mistake about it Jo Swinson is a weak leader, her only atttribute is that she seized upon the political lifeline created by the undemocratic remoaners.

Vote Boris :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by david63 on 30 Oct 2019, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Quote formatting

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3016
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: General Election

Post by Gill W » 30 Oct 2019, 18:48

It seems that tactical voting is going to be a thing at this election.

It’s not so much voting FOR something, but rather voting against. The idea is that the tactical voters vote for the party most likely to defeat the Conservative candidate
Gill

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 30 Oct 2019, 19:01

Gill W wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 18:48
It seems that tactical voting is going to be a thing at this election.

It’s not so much voting FOR something, but rather voting against. The idea is that the tactical voters vote for the party most likely to defeat the Conservative candidate
Gill are you genuinely willing to let Jeremy Corbyn ruin the UK economy in the vain hope that he will allow you another referendum?
I assume you are worried about the latest BBC project fear forecast that Boris's withdrawal deal will result in the UK economy growing by a 3% shortfall over the next 10 years, however Labour could in fact shrink it with only about 10% of it's ridiculous plans.
I do despair that you show such short sightedness.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3016
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: General Election

Post by Gill W » 30 Oct 2019, 21:52

I made a statement about what is being said

I made no comment as to whether I was going to take this course of action or not.

Yet, once again Towny jumps to all sorts of conclusions, and even worse condemns me as a result of his assumptions.

This is why I don’t bother so much with this forum anymore
Gill

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 30 Oct 2019, 21:59

The nightmare scenario would be Conservatives 200 seats, Labour 200 seats, Lib Dems and SNP 200 seats combined and the other 50 seats to the other parties.

Lib Dems and SNP would support Labour for a second referendum as long as it was slanted in favour of Remain but after that it would be anybody's guess what would happen.
Gill W wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 18:48
It’s not so much voting FOR something, but rather voting against. The idea is that the tactical voters vote for the party most likely to defeat the Conservative candidate
I think that there will a lot of voters voting for the party that can get Brexit done and over with - one way or the other.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 30 Oct 2019, 22:42

Gill W wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 21:52
I made a statement about what is being said

I made no comment as to whether I was going to take this course of action or not.

Yet, once again Towny jumps to all sorts of conclusions, and even worse condemns me as a result of his assumptions.

This is why I don’t bother so much with this forum anymore
Sorry if I misunderstood your post Gill, but you did only mention tactical voting to stop Brexit by voting for anyone but Boris and the Tories, no comment about the possibility that some might vote tactically to ensure that Brexit happens. I just assumed you were indicating that's what you would be doing; and I don't think my concerns about where this would lead were at all exaggerated.
Last edited by towny44 on 30 Oct 2019, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 2019, 06:41

My guess is no other party will get a look in. So the Conservatives get back in power and we are back where we started. Nothing's changed except the whole election saga has probably cost the tax payer millions.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 31 Oct 2019, 07:11

Stephen wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 06:41
My guess is no other party will get a look in. So the Conservatives get back in power and we are back where we started.
In that scenario it will all depend on the majority that the Conservatives can command. If it is a working majority then Boris's deal will go through and we will be out.

If they cannot command a majority then you are right we will be back where we started.

Do we know what Labour's stance on Brexit will be in the GE? Are they still going to be dithering up to the ballot box?

If Labour do not come out one way or the other over Brexit then they will be dead in the water. My guess is that they will sit on the fence and say that there will be another referendum/people's vote

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 31 Oct 2019, 08:44

david63 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 07:11
Stephen wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 06:41
My guess is no other party will get a look in. So the Conservatives get back in power and we are back where we started.
In that scenario it will all depend on the majority that the Conservatives can command. If it is a working majority then Boris's deal will go through and we will be out.

If they cannot command a majority then you are right we will be back where we started.

Do we know what Labour's stance on Brexit will be in the GE? Are they still going to be dithering up to the ballot box?

If Labour do not come out one way or the other over Brexit then they will be dead in the water. My guess is that they will sit on the fence and say that there will be another referendum/people's vote
I am sure you're right David, but of course they will spin it to suggest that this is because the general public is split, not the Labour party.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 31 Oct 2019, 09:13

towny44 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 08:44
but of course they will spin it to suggest that this is because the general public is split, not the Labour party.
That together with trying to deflect the GE away from Brexit with all their grandiose plans will not, in my opinion, work.

For the vast majority of the electorate this GE is about Brexit, everything else is secondary, and voting will be based on which side of the fence each party is on.

If Labour do not have a clear "in/out" policy then they will be forced, by the public, to state which way they want to go and if they renege on it [again] then they are finished.The dilemma for Labour is that Corbyn is, and always has been, anti EU and he needs to be out of the EU in order to stand any chance of getting his policies through but he cannot leave without a deal, he does not like Boris's deal and probably knows deep down that he does not stand a cat in hells chance of re-negotiating the deal that he wants.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3016
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: General Election

Post by Gill W » 31 Oct 2019, 10:16

Labour’s current position is that, within 3 months of being elected, they’d negotiate a ‘sensible Brexit deal’ and then put it to the country by way of referendum, with an option to remain.

Leaving aside the point that a ‘sensible Brexit deal’ is an oxymoron, it doesn’t address what would happen if they couldn’t negotiate a new deal.

Maybe this scenario will be addressed in their manifesto. But I’m not holding my breath.
Gill

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 31 Oct 2019, 10:33

Gill W wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:16
Labour’s current position is that, within 3 months of being elected, they’d negotiate a ‘sensible Brexit deal’ and then put it to the country by way of referendum, with an option to remain.
Even if that was feasible, let alone possible, it means that there would have to be another extension of probably six months to leaving the EU - does anyone believe that the EU would be up for that?

User avatar

Meg 50
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1940
Joined: January 2013
Location: sarf London

Re: General Election

Post by Meg 50 » 31 Oct 2019, 10:35

rather helpfully we have changed wards so our polling station instead of being 200 yds away and en route to all kinds of useful places is now a mile away at the top of a hill - a great disincentive to vote.

SD rarely votes and certainly won't do so when the station is the opposite direction to her route to work.

So I have downloaded postal vote forms for us both ( DH passes the polling station on his way to play tennis - so he's not bothered by the move).

But I still have no idea where to put my X.

when I last looked we were a marginal (about 500 majority - it was about 20 the election before).
The current MP is very efficient - but it's more than that when choosing an MP
Meg
x

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 2019, 15:24

IMG_1894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 31 Oct 2019, 15:33

So that nice Mr Corbyn is going to "sort Brexit" within six months!

Would that be a normal six months or a Diane Abbott six months?

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 31 Oct 2019, 16:20

Meg 50 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:35
rather helpfully we have changed wards so our polling station instead of being 200 yds away and en route to all kinds of useful places is now a mile away at the top of a hill - a great disincentive to vote.

SD rarely votes and certainly won't do so when the station is the opposite direction to her route to work.

So I have downloaded postal vote forms for us both ( DH passes the polling station on his way to play tennis - so he's not bothered by the move).

But I still have no idea where to put my X.

when I last looked we were a marginal (about 500 majority - it was about 20 the election before).
The current MP is very efficient - but it's more than that when choosing an MP
Hi Meg,

Your choice shouldn't be that difficult but if it helps here are 4 reasons not to vote labour...

Corbyn,
Mcdonald,
Abbott,
Thornbury.
........

Then there is of course our 'Jo' (Swinson) who forgot to mention that the company her husband works for (Transparency International ) received a EU donation of 3.5 million. TI is a charitable organisation that operates out of Berlin.
You don't have to delve to deeply to find TI is less than transparent in many areas of its work... which begs the question, is she?

Vote Boris


.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 31 Oct 2019, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 31 Oct 2019, 16:23

Sorry David.....l'm using my tablet which jumps all over the place when replying to posts.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7717
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: General Election

Post by Manoverboard » 31 Oct 2019, 16:40

Onelife wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 16:23
Sorry David.....l'm using my tablet which jumps all over the place when replying to posts.
Praps you should be on different tablets …. just saying :angel:

ps …. sorry MOB me thinks as I changed it for you this time :wave:

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 31 Oct 2019, 16:58

Manoverboard wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 16:40
Onelife wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 16:23
Sorry David.....l'm using my tablet which jumps all over the place when replying to posts.
Praps you should be on different tablets …. just saying :angel:

ps …. sorry MOB me thinks as I changed it for you this time :wave:
You're a star Mob keep up the good work :thumbup: :wave:

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 2019, 16:58

Onelife wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 16:23
Sorry David.....l'm using my tablet which jumps all over the place when replying to posts.
Crikey, what size tablets are you taking :o

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10017
Joined: February 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 Oct 2019, 17:04

The ones with the ten commandments?

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7717
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: General Election

Post by Manoverboard » 31 Oct 2019, 17:06

but only when he's stoned ?

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 31 Oct 2019, 18:08

So he should be.....can I throw first :D

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 06 Nov 2019, 12:26

Just watched Felicity Evan's BBC Wales political editor on Politics Live, she clearly has an anti Tory agenda and seems determined to keep ploughing the rape case issue, despite the Welsh Secretary resigning.
I think it would be a good idea for all media journalists to declare their political interest so that viewers can weigh how much their reports might be influenced by their views, since they can no longer be trusted not to show a bias.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3191
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: General Election

Post by barney » 06 Nov 2019, 15:30

You want to try listening to James O'brien on LBC John.
He's on a one man anti Tory crusade. :lol:

To be fair, he doesn't try to pretend to be neutral.

I lean to the left but even I think he is somewhat OTT.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1835
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by Ray Scully » 06 Nov 2019, 15:42

towny44 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 12:26
Just watched Felicity Evan's BBC Wales political editor on Politics Live, she clearly has an anti Tory agenda and seems determined to keep ploughing the rape case issue, despite the Welsh Secretary resigning.
I think it would be a good idea for all media journalists to declare their political interest so that viewers can weigh how much their reports might be influenced by their views, since they can no longer be trusted not to show a bias.
Shooting the messenger, John IMHO is not to be recommended.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1835
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by Ray Scully » 06 Nov 2019, 15:45

barney wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:30
You want to try listening to James O'brien on LBC John.
He's on a one man anti Tory crusade. :lol:

To be fair, he doesn't try to pretend to be neutral.

I lean to the left but even I think he is somewhat OTT.
Barney I like LBC and given that JR Mogg , Mr Farage and that Ferrari bloke all I have a spot the balance is a tad to the right. Oh I confess to finding James O'Brian entertaining


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1835
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by Ray Scully » 06 Nov 2019, 15:48

Nothing on the thread re J R Mogg and Budgens Grenfell pronouncements. Interesting!

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 06 Nov 2019, 16:39

Ray Scully wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:42
towny44 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 12:26
Just watched Felicity Evan's BBC Wales political editor on Politics Live, she clearly has an anti Tory agenda and seems determined to keep ploughing the rape case issue, despite the Welsh Secretary resigning.
I think it would be a good idea for all media journalists to declare their political interest so that viewers can weigh how much their reports might be influenced by their views, since they can no longer be trusted not to show a bias.
Shooting the messenger, John IMHO is not to be recommended.
Not advocating shooting them Ray, but highlighting their political allegiance might neutralise some of their reporting.
Incidentally Both DW and I thought JRM's comments about Grenfell were unfairly characterised as insulting and insensitive, maybe he should not have mentioned common sense, but that's the only bit that was a bit iffy.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7717
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: General Election

Post by Manoverboard » 06 Nov 2019, 17:01

Ray Scully wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:48
Nothing on the thread re J R Mogg and Budgens Grenfell pronouncements. Interesting!
I thought that Louise ( of Dan & Louise ) on BBC's Breakfast show this morning was a pain in the butt. She seemed to be pushing the nice Tory chappy into saying that Mr Mogg should resign because of his pronouncements.

Why would that be apart from generating one's own news story ?

JRG said, after reading the GT report, that it would have made sense to him to have ignored the advice from the Fire Brigade and to have gotten out of the building as soon as possible. Interestingly a chap said exactly the same thing on yesterday Show and in doing so his life as a resident of GT was spared. No fuss was raised by Louise when he said it …. BBC bias at work was my thought.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 06 Nov 2019, 17:17

Manoverboard wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:01
Ray Scully wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:48
Nothing on the thread re J R Mogg and Budgens Grenfell pronouncements. Interesting!
I thought that Louise ( of Dan & Louise ) on BBC's Breakfast show this morning was a pain in the butt. She seemed to be pushing the nice Tory chappy into saying that Mr Mogg should resign because of his pronouncements.

Why would that be apart from generating one's own news story ?

JRG said, after reading the GT report, that it would have made sense to him to have ignored the advice from the Fire Brigade and to have gotten out of the building as soon as possible. Interestingly a chap said exactly the same thing on yesterday Show and in doing so his life as a resident of GT was spared. No fuss was raised by Louise when he said it …. BBC bias at work was my thought.

Perhaps he could have phrased it a little better but Moggy makes an excellent point.

Many of those unfurtunte victims could have saved their lives had they acted on their own instinct and got themselves out of the burning building......They were in high rise flats for gawd sake!

Once the criticism has died down he should be praised for heightening people's awareness of how you should react in what are genrally "Every man for himself" situations.

Please forward any hate mail to Mob

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10017
Joined: February 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 06 Nov 2019, 17:20

So, shock horror Berko declares Brexit was a mistake. You'd have never thought he felt so, to watch his unfailingly impartial chairmanship of the Commons. Thank heavens he's now history.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 06 Nov 2019, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 06 Nov 2019, 18:12

Onelife wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:17
Manoverboard wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:01
Ray Scully wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:48
Nothing on the thread re J R Mogg and Budgens Grenfell pronouncements. Interesting!
I thought that Louise ( of Dan & Louise ) on BBC's Breakfast show this morning was a pain in the butt. She seemed to be pushing the nice Tory chappy into saying that Mr Mogg should resign because of his pronouncements.

Why would that be apart from generating one's own news story ?

JRG said, after reading the GT report, that it would have made sense to him to have ignored the advice from the Fire Brigade and to have gotten out of the building as soon as possible. Interestingly a chap said exactly the same thing on yesterday Show and in doing so his life as a resident of GT was spared. No fuss was raised by Louise when he said it …. BBC bias at work was my thought.

Perhaps he could have phrased it a little better but Moggy makes an excellent point.

Many of those unfurtunte victims could have saved their lives had they acted on their own instinct and got themselves out of the burning building......They were in high rise flats for gawd sake!

Once the criticism has died down he should be praised for heightening people's awareness of how you should react in what are genrally "Every man for himself" situations.

Please forward any hate mail to Mob

I agree Keith. But typical of the media, blow it all out of proportion.

Your natural instinct should tell you to get out. If the unthinkable happens at least you have tried rather than just waiting listening to the flames getting nearer.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1835
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by Ray Scully » 06 Nov 2019, 19:12

Well, well, it appears that my views are as out of sinc with the contributors on this thread as they were on the Brexit thread. Maybe that is why I don't get notifications of any posts?
Last edited by Ray Scully on 06 Nov 2019, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4817
Joined: January 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Onelife » 06 Nov 2019, 20:03

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:20
So, shock horror Berko declares Brexit was a mistake. You'd have never thought he felt so, to watch his unfailingly impartial chairmanship of the Commons. Thank heavens he's now history.

*******Breaking news******

John Bercow has been found dead after having tried to rewire a plug.....initial police reports suggest "he didn't know how neutral works"

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4906
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: General Election

Post by towny44 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:39

Onelife wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 20:03
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:20
So, shock horror Berko declares Brexit was a mistake. You'd have never thought he felt so, to watch his unfailingly impartial chairmanship of the Commons. Thank heavens he's now history.

*******Breaking news******

John Bercow has been found dead after having tried to rewire a plug.....initial police reports suggest "he didn't know how neutral works"
:lol: :thumbup:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:42

Ray Scully wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 19:12
Maybe that is why I don't get notifications of any posts?
Have you subscribed to this topic and set the options for notifications in your User Control Panel? If not then you will not be getting any notifications.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6053
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: General Election

Post by david63 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:44

The promises that you can make when you stand no chance of being the new Government - Green Party to invest £100 billion a year for the next 10 years to make the country carbon neutral! Have they said where all this money will be coming from?

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10017
Joined: February 2013

Re: General Election

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 06 Nov 2019, 22:28

The money trees.

User avatar

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer
Posts: 256
Joined: January 2013
Location: Chorley

Re: General Election

Post by johnds » 07 Nov 2019, 06:58

david63 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 21:44
The promises that you can make when you stand no chance of being the new Government - Green Party to invest £100 billion a year for the next 10 years to make the country carbon neutral! Have they said where all this money will be coming from?
I thought I heard them say 10% from increased taxes. The other 90% would be borrowed.
Cloud cockoo land
John

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10163
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: General Election

Post by Stephen » 07 Nov 2019, 07:23

Onelife wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 20:03
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 17:20
So, shock horror Berko declares Brexit was a mistake. You'd have never thought he felt so, to watch his unfailingly impartial chairmanship of the Commons. Thank heavens he's now history.

*******Breaking news******

John Bercow has been found dead after having tried to rewire a plug.....initial police reports suggest "he didn't know how neutral works"

If only it were true :thumbup:

Return to “General Chat”