Internet Providers

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Internet Providers

Post by Stephen »

I'm looking to change internet providers.

Being the sceptic I am I don't trust any of them, but was wondering if anyone on here uses a company called Zen as they're provider.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Internet Providers

Post by anniec »

Which used to rate them but I can't check updated reviews because I no longer subscribe.

I'm happy with Plusnet - English (well, Yorkshire :lol: ) call centre.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think that these days they are all pretty much the same for "reliability" the defining factors (in no particular order) are customer service, price and other "add ons".

Basically do as much research as you can and then at the end of the day you "pays your money and takes your chance"

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

Since I often work from home (when I am back in good old blighty) the main thing for me is reliability. Customer service is a great selling point but, quite honestly, I hope to never find out if it is good or bad. I have been with Sky now for many years (probably about 10 years) and have only had one occasion in that time when the internet was not available (caused by a BT engineer messing up the connections at the exchange - or at least that is what OpenReach told me).

These days prices are quite similar and customer service depends on whether they gave you the answer you wanted or not. I have heard of Zen and remember them being highly rated but have no direct experience with them. Keep an eye on the cashback sites since they often have deals.

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Hi Ken

I too am with Sky and have been for several years on a really low speed package which is getting expensive as we pay for broadband with Sky and our landline seperatly to BT. Yes, I know it's madness especially as we never use the landline for phoning, which is why I want/need to change and combine the two. The trouble with Sky is they are like BT, a nightmare trying to contact with just being sent round in circles on the web site. And to upgrade to a decent speed with them is expensive compared to other providers. Looking at reviews on Trust Pilot they all have they're faults, some worse than others.

We all hope we don't need to use customer service but I like to check them out before hand to see what response time are like, which is where Zen fell down. I sent them two online messages before Christmas in office hours requesting information and didn't get one reply, so that was a black meark to start with. And their live chat is non existent. After I posted a review about this they did reply saying that telephoning gets a faster responce, which is all very well but I like some form of paper trail so I have evidence to fall back on should I need it.

As David said, you pay your money and takes your choice. They all promise this that and the other with a bit of charm. It's just a matter of taking that leap. One thing with Zen it's only a 12 month contract and I quite like their promise of no price increases, ever, unlike others that want you to sign up for a minimum of 18 month or in BT's case 24 months.
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Jan 2020, 08:31, edited 4 times in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 08:22
a really low speed package
Beware of claims of "ultra high speed" most home users will get nowhere near that speed.

There are several broadband speed checkers on the Internet - go to several of them and check what speed you could get. Using several you will get a good idea what is possible, as opposed to what is claimed.

I'm with BT and they keep offering me an upgrade package for an extra per month - great only it just is not possible, even from BT's own speed checker!

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

My expectations with all providers is very low David.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

BT for us in the rurals of Darzet. The exchange is just down the road and their speed and reliability are just fine.

If one has a networking problem when using SKY then they will blame BT who in turn will blame SKY …. round n round you will go :thumbdown:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Manoverboard wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 09:22
BT for us in the rurals of Darzet. The exchange is just down the road and their speed and reliability are just fine.

If one has a networking problem when using SKY then they will blame BT who in turn will blame SKY …. round n round you will go :thumbdown:
Us too, deep on rural Gower.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 09:11
My expectations with all providers is very low David.
Like Ken I have been with Sky now for a long time, over 15 years I think, and rarely have problems, especially over the last 3 years since BT replaced my very loose and flapping connection to the telegraph pole..
I have superfast Broadband, speed test says I receive over wi-fi a download speed of about 25-35Mb/s, and upload of about 15-20Mb/s,cost is £27pm and Skytalk anytime extra at £10pm, that includes rental and most calls, we rarely have a call charge nowadays.
I have no idea whether this is a good or bad price, but whenever my current offers expire I can normally get back to a reasonable overall cost with a quick phone call to their retention team.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

anniec wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 18:38
Which used to rate them but I can't check updated reviews because I no longer subscribe.

I'm happy with Plusnet - English (well, Yorkshire :lol: ) call centre.

Might as well be a India :D

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Unfortunately when you live in those yonder hills of Shropshire you are restricted to what providers are available.......BT for us.

Return to “General Chat”