Aurora Grand Voyage 2020

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora Grand Voyage 2020

Post by Ray B »

It's been very enjoyable reading the reports of your cruise over the past weeks.
Welcome home Sue.
Don't worry, be happy

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks for taking the trouble to share your cruise with us Sue - I love reading your reports - brings back lovely memories of places that I too may have visited - this time New Orleans - loved that city. Welcome home :wave:
Janis

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by rogerrovers »

Thank you Sue for all your reports.
Jenny

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Nearly 6,500 ' reads ' …. can't be bad :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Many thanks from me too Sue. Your reports are excellent. I'm already looking forward to the next one!! Just when will that be? I hope I don't have to wait too long :lol:

Welcome home

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

And thanks from me. Trip reports keep me going 🥰
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

And thanks from me - really enjoy your reports, Sue.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Final update from Sue and Garry

25 - 27 February - three sea days to Southampton

Tuesday was another calm sunny day and passengers made the most of the sun.

We can’t believe how lucky we have been with the weather this cruise.

On Wednesday as the Captain promised the weather although dry and bright the wind was causing swells and Aurora started rocking and rolling. Nothing too bad but we knew we were on a ship. By Thursday we were into the channel and all was calm again.

On Tuesday we had an early morning meeting with the Food and Beverage Manager & the Customer Service Manager regarding the change in dining times.

It was an interesting meeting where we aired our views and the F & B manager explained why the change had been made for this cruise and was continuing for the next. He was very pleasant but made it clear that if they decided to continue with the 6pm sitting after the Norway cruises it was for the good of the ship. If that decision is made we feel it should be passed onto passengers well before they board the cruise hence giving them time to reassess their dining arrangements, not be presented with the information on boarding the ship.

Tuesdays Battle of the sexes was on Ireland and finished as a draw on the day but the men still 55 points in the lead, Wednesdays was on England where the ladies won the day and were 45 points in front, but Thursdays on general knowledge saw the men win and they stole the lead.

The battle went to the gents overall at 2 - 1 for the cruise.

We packed a case on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon, as the cabin stewards were storing them. This helps them to move them over three days rather than just one when there is so much luggage and also leaves room in the cabin to pack the remaining cases on the last day.

The entertainment over the sea days was varied with the Headliners final show called Applause which was excellent. They got a standing ovation at the end and the group were very emotional as it was their last show of the contract. Micky Zany did his second show but as we had seen him previously we didn’t go. There was a group of male vocalists on the same night as the crew show. We opted for the crew show and as the reports back on the group were very mixed we didn’t bother going to the late show.

The crew show was absolutely fantastic. The very best crew show we have seen. There were so many talented crew that the entertainment team didn’t need to perform there usual If I was not upon the sea a ................ I would be. No doubt they were very happy about that and we had seen it so many times before.

We have had a fabulous cruise mainly because of the great itinerary and the fabulous weather. The number of ports visited was 25 and we had 4 overnight stays with 3 days in Barbados, 2 in New Orleans, 2 in Bermuda and an overnight in Punta Delgada. We only saw significant rain in Tobago and Antigua.

The Evening entertainment was hit and miss some great, a lot we didn’t go to see as they were repeats of shows we had seen recently. The evenings were hot and balmy and we spent a lot of time outside on deck with friends we had met on board. The Headliners excelled and their shows Astonishing and Applause were new to us and both were excellent. We weren’t as keen on their other new show Horizon.

The food was a great improvement on previous cruises and I think P & O have definitely upped their game. Our dining experience was marred by the change of dining times and we didn’t eat in the main restaurant as much as usual. The select dining on Aurora is excellent and not difficult to get a table.

I wasn’t impressed with the buffet in the evening but gave it a go. I hate queuing for food and the amount of people coughing and sneezing on the ship put me off going in there.

The crew are very happy on this ship and it shows in so many ways. Everyone I spoke to were hoping to get their contract renewed on Aurora.

Tomorrow is disembarkation day.

Friday, 28 February 2020 - disembarkation day

Captain Pembridge managed to get into Southampton about an hour earlier than planned, but because of the weather and the amount of luggage and rain it was around 8:30 before we managed to get off the ship.

The luggage hall was packed and it looked like A deck had the most luggage. Rows and Rows of it. It took a while to locate our 6 pieces but we got straight through customs who were out in force.

Our taxi driver was due at 9 a.m, but the chaos of traffic at the Mayflower meant it was almost 9:30 before he managed to get through to us. It didn’t take long to get to the garage where the car was parked and once all the luggage was loaded we were on the road just before 10 a.m. The weather was awful but at least only rain.

The journey was long with many tailbacks caused by accidents and the weather conditions. We arrived home around 3:30 ish.

Another fabulous cruise and once the unpacking washing and ironing is done we will be looking forward to our next one mid May on Aurora hopefully we will get into Venice.

Sent from my iPad

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Welcome home x
Gill

barryglee69
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by barryglee69 »

Hi Sue, my wife and I have only recently joined this forum but I must say how much we enjoyed reading your diary of the Grand Tour. We also took the opportunity to read your earlier diary about the trip to South America as we are going on that voyage in January next year.

I wonder if you could give us some information about where you parked your car and what the fees were please?

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

Long term parking at the port can be expensive. You might like to look into doing a one way car hire each way as an alternative and leave your car at home. Enterprise have some good rates and they have a depot at gate 8 at the port. They will take you to the terminal after you drop the car off. Best to drop your main luggage off first at the terminal before going to the car depot.
Brian

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

barryglee69 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 14:18
Hi Sue, my wife and I have only recently joined this forum but I must say how much we enjoyed reading your diary of the Grand Tour. We also took the opportunity to read your earlier diary about the trip to South America as we are going on that voyage in January next year.

I wonder if you could give us some information about where you parked your car and what the fees were please?
You might like to consider staying in a hotel before the cruise many local hotels will include a parking package in their pricing and will also take you to the cruise terminal.

https://www.cruisesouthampton.com/park-cruise-and-stay

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We would always travel to and from the Cruise Terminal in a chauffeur driven airport transfer vehicle. I could provide a number if you live anywhere near Shaftsbury, Dorset.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Hi sue
Many thanks for such an interesting read! You certainly go into great detail- I feel as though I’m there with you!Are you still planning on going on the South American Cruise on Aurora in January? We have booked but not sure yet whether to go or cancel ( or will it be cancelled anyway!)

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

barryglee69 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 14:18

Hi, sorry I have only just seen your question. Things went a bit mad after our return.

We now always use Cruisepark Southampton. The car is parked in a huge lock up takes around 40/45 cars. They provide a taxi to the port and a pick up from the port on your return. It is less than a 2 mile drive from car park to port depending on which dock. As it is a winter cruise the car park is quiet so they give a really good rate for the long cruises. We prefer our car to be parked indoors especially in the winter. I can’t remember how much we paid but if you send them an email or telephone them they will send you a quote. It is approx half price of CPS. info@cruiseparksouthampton.co.uk 023 8078 6640 Or 00 44 7584 615490. The owners name is Benton.

Let’s hope this cruise goes ahead but I suspect if it does there will be some itinerary changes. As we have done the cruise before we are not too worried about that I just need to be somewhere Hot and sunny for the winter.

Sue

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 18:17
Hi sue
Many thanks for such an interesting read! You certainly go into great detail- I feel as though I’m there with you!Are you still planning on going on the South American Cruise on Aurora in January? We have booked but not sure yet whether to go or cancel ( or will it be cancelled anyway!)
Hi LadyP,
The cruise seems a lifetime since now. Yes we still intend going on the South America cruise and fingers crossed it goes ahead. I do think there will be a cruise but probably with itinerary changes. As long as it is hot and sunny I will be on it.

The reason for the detail in my report is that it is an email to my father who now only travels short distances since my Mum died. He now travels through my emails and they keep him going during the winter months. I usually go to Spain with him At this time of year but we have just had our flights cancelled. Hope to meet you on board in January.

Sue

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Suekersh wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 19:28
Final update from Sue and Garry

Another fabulous cruise and once the unpacking washing and ironing is done we will be looking forward to our next one mid May on Aurora hopefully we will get into Venice.

Sent from my iPad
little did you know....
Meg
x

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Yes fingers crossed we get to meet up in January Sue x

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”