The Big Announcement!

Chat about anything here

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

The Big Announcement!

Post by CaroleF »

I'm amazed there has been no comment on P&O's big announcement! To say I'm underwhelmed is overstating it. I had heard of Gary Barlow but John had to explain to me that he used to be a member of Take That. I'm obviously not one of the age group who this amazing new venture is aimed at

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: The Big Announcement!

Post by towny44 »

There are some who seem to want to consider him a national treasure, bit of a waste of space to me.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I've had two emails at least about the 'big announcement'.

As soon as I saw Gary Barlows mug I guessed what all the fuss was about and promptly deleted them.

Jan Rosser
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I notice from the email that he will be appearing in the 710 music bar - I wonder whether this is a venue you have to pay for.

He certainly doesn’t appeal to me - may be P&O are aiming for the 40’s age group who would have been Take That fans as teenagers.
Janis

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

I think it is great to see some younger talent appearing on P&O shops attracting the next generation of cruiser. And whether or not you like him Barlow is someone who has earned the status of celebrity. P&O must evolve and attract the next generation or it will die with the oldies enjoying reruns of Vera Lynn circa 435BC.

Julie will be delighted, having been a huge Take That fan - it might even offer the possibility of a guest appearance by Robbie Williams - so I am sure she will be pestering me to find some additional days annual leave so that she can swoon at his feet (hmmmmm, I wonder if I should pretend to be jealous???)

Personally I was hoping for Roger Waters/David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I had you down as more of a Roger Whitikar fan Ken

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

I give not a jot for any of ex celebs regarding the booking of a cruise … could be Hop-a-Long Cassidy for all I care :wave:
Moby or Mob is far easier to type ...

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I doubt that having Gary Barlow as a hands off MD for this Club 710 will have any impact at all on changing the demographic, and I don't agree with Ken's assessment that these type of changes are essential for P&O to keep filling their ships. If they want to encourage a younger crowd they would benefit far more from copying other lines like RCI with features like water slides, water parks, carousels, top west end style shows and Ice shows.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

But there's no point in copying everyone else. That was M&S's mistake. They had a niche. They should hang on to it not fight for another market with established players. RCI are great at what they do but if P&O try to copy they'll fail.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I’ve read somewhere that Gary Barlow will perform at the naming ceremony in July ( I’m still finding it odd that the naming is weeks after the maiden voyage). Then he’s going to be on a cruise in August and in October, performing at the 710 Club, at a cost of £25 per head. So, a bit like the Limelight Club.

I’m not a particular fan of his, but think he’s a talented songwriter and probably would be good to see live. If I had already booked a cruise he was on, I would try and get tickets, but wouldn’t book the cruise especially to see him.

I think most Barlow fan’s are likely to be in their 40s. I was 41 when I took my first cruise, so I think it’s good that P&O are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers.
Gill

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 17:03
… so I think it’s good that P&O are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers.
I was wondering just how many people can fit into the 710 Club ?

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Gill W wrote:
I think most Barlow fan’s are likely to be in their 40s. I was 41 when I took my first cruise, so I think it’s good that P&O are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers.
I think you're right about the age range - in fact might be a bit older even than that. Take That's heyday was more than 20 years ago now! Probably a safe bet though. Might not attract the 20-30 somethings but shouldn't scare off the over 60s.

I'm with you. I'd go and see him if I was on the ship. Wouldn't book just to see him.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 16 Jan 2020, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Well I’m mid 60s and would definitely be up for seeing him if on board - I like him, and Take That a lot. I wouldn’t book just because he was appearing though.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 17:34
Gill W wrote:
… so I think it’s good that P&O are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers.
I’m not sure. Probably not that many. It’d be an up close and personal experience.
Gill

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 14:07
I had you down as more of a Roger Whitikar fan Ken
There's a ship lies rigged and ready in the harbor
Tomorrow for old England she sails
Far away from your land of endless sunshine
dah de dah de dah de dah

and that is all I know

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 15:03
I doubt that having Gary Barlow as a hands off MD for this Club 710 will have any impact at all on changing the demographic, and I don't agree with Ken's assessment that these type of changes are essential for P&O to keep filling their ships. If they want to encourage a younger crowd they would benefit far more from copying other lines like RCI with features like water slides, water parks, carousels, top west end style shows and Ice shows.
The difference we are not America and have different needs. P&O will know its own market and what the British are asking for. The one thing I have always liked about P&O is that the entertainment is always geared towards it primary audience - on the American cruise lines the entertainment has to cater to the Europeans, the Americans, the Latinos and others meaning isolated pockets rather than shipwide.

On our last few cruises it has been interesting to see more and more non-Brits onboard. I was talking to a Canadian family on one P&O cruise and they much preferred the P&O offering over the American offering.

I hope P&O continue to do more and more to attract the next generation by keeping the entertainment fresh rather than relying on the old traditional things like British sailaways which do it no favours in attracting customers from elsewhere in the globe

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 05:45
towny44 wrote:
The difference we are not America and have different needs. P&O will know its own market and what the British are asking for. The one thing I have always liked about P&O is that the entertainment is always geared towards it primary audience - on the American cruise lines the entertainment has to cater to the Europeans, the Americans, the Latinos and others meaning isolated pockets rather than shipwide.

On our last few cruises it has been interesting to see more and more non-Brits onboard. I was talking to a Canadian family on one P&O cruise and they much preferred the P&O offering over the American offering.

I hope P&O continue to do more and more to attract the next generation by keeping the entertainment fresh rather than relying on the old traditional things like British sailaways which do it no favours in attracting customers from elsewhere in the globe
Ken, my only experience on RCI is sailing from Southampton, and the passengers were primarily from the UK, and they all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the cruise offering, maybe because a lot of the entertainment was geared to UK passengers, plus there was all the other attractions for them to enjoy. I accept that P&O's cheaper prices will attract some of these passengers, but the more affluent will return to RCI for the fuller range of activities they provide, and it is exactly these wealthier younger ones that P&O need to attract if they are to enhance their bottom line profit.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 21:02
Manoverboard wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 17:34
Gill W wrote:
I’m not sure. Probably not that many. It’d be an up close and personal experience.
Sounds about right so how such a minority will swell the numbers of P&O passengers in the future is a complete mystery to me.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 08:56
Kendhni wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 05:45
towny44 wrote:

Ken, my only experience on RCI is sailing from Southampton, and the passengers were primarily from the UK, and they all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the cruise offering, maybe because a lot of the entertainment was geared to UK passengers, plus there was all the other attractions for them to enjoy. I accept that P&O's cheaper prices will attract some of these passengers, but the more affluent will return to RCI for the fuller range of activities they provide, and it is exactly these wealthier younger ones that P&O need to attract if they are to enhance their bottom line profit.
My experience of RCI has been further afield. had a great time with them but the entertainment was very limited. Maybe from Southampton they gear it towards the British more. Interesting your comments about price, the reason we went RCI on all occasions is because they were the cheap option (compared with P&O). I guess it just depends on the region, time of year and booked capacity.

I agree with you about the affluent young ones - that is why I think of bringing in the next generation of singer, comedian etc. will help to attract them. It brings new material (some of the older current crop of comedians and singers have the same act that they had 10+ years ago). Mind you some are still great - we saw Fogwell Flax on our last cruise and he was good (humour right up my street - totally politically incorrect).

daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

Another cruise site is saying that he will be singing in the theatre which has a capacity of 903, I think. This means not everyone on the cruise will be able to see him and the site does say that booking the cruise he is on does not guarantee a ticket for the show as it is first come first served at £25 a ticket. Wonder how long before the show will people be queuing to try to get at the front.
Last edited by daveoc14 on 17 Jan 2020, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I would think he would be doing more than just one show, and he will not be everyones cup of tea so that will reduce the numbers.
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Jan 2020, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The theatre will be empty if they are waiting for me to cough up £25 to watch him.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

£25 to see Gary Barlow in concert is a bargain if you like him. But for those not willing to fork out there's no theatre show that night? That's a step too far for me. Happy to pay for extras like the Limelight Club but not the main entertainment venue.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 13:00
that is why I think of bringing in the next generation of singer, comedian etc. will help to attract them.
Only if P&O announce the acts prior to booking. Whilst I accept that they cannot give definitive dates when acts will appear there could be a list of acts that will be appearing during that year - it would go a long way towards informing potential passengers.

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

If they hold the event in the 900 seater theater, assuming my maths are correct, they take £22500.00. Not bad for a night's work.
Don't worry, be happy

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ray B wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 12:41
If they hold the event in the 900 seater theater, assuming my maths are correct, they take £22500.00. Not bad for a night's work.
Your maths is correct but there are two shows so it is around £50k per cruise. It has been reported that this money will be donated to charity.
Ray B wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 12:41
£22500.00. Not bad for a night's work
For someone like GB that is a "drop in the ocean" [forgive the pun] - in the show business world he would get at least 10 times that for one show.

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

One of the reasons I begrudge paying upwards of £70 to see a concert by an 'a' lister.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “General Chat”