Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smurfie All At Sea

Post by david63 »

Preamble

Well here we are about to set off on our longest cruise to date – all of 35 nights.

This is in fact a replacement cruise for one we were going to do last October on Arcadia, but when this appeared it was a far better itinerary and as we had other priorities last year we transferred to this one.

Monday 10th February

Why do we have to travel to Southampton on the worst weekend for weather that we have had this winter?

We have had a change of hotel for this cruise – instead of staying at the Regency Park in Thatcham we are staying at the Donnington Valley in, believe it or not, Donnington.

I think that the drive down encompassed every type of weather possible – from bright “cracking the flags sun to heavy snow storm! Anyway we arrived at the hotel and have to say that we were well impressed – will be staying there again!

Tuesday 11th February

Set off from the hotel around 10:00 for the hour’s drive to Southampton. For some inexplicable reason the sat nav took us to Dock Gate 20 when we wanted Ocean Terminal – but apparently we were not the only ones with that problem!

Once again we are using Parking4Cruises (as it is half the price of CPS) unloaded the luggage, drove round to the car park, handed over the car and two minute walk back to the terminal – simples, especially when compared to having to take your own luggage now when using CPS at Ocean Terminal.

Embarkation was the most chaotic shambles that I have ever seen. As you enter the terminal you are given a health declaration form with is similar to the old form but specific to Coronavirus – tick three boxed (yes/no) and sign it. You then have to take the form to be verified where someone ticks the bottom of the form. Then you are allowed up to the check-in area, but for some reason they were only allowing about 10 at a time to go up the escalator! Once up the priority queue was half way round the terminal and this as well before 12:00.

So check-in eventually done, usual security shambles and on board and having lunch – from arriving at the terminal to getting lunch took just over an hour! The one improvement at lunch was that the wine was more free flowing than usual.

No obviously there are some on this cruise who are totally immune to Coronavirus as hand sanitising does not apply. One point all public toilet doors are open.

Muster drill is much better, and quicker, now that you do not have to take your lifejackets, but it is still chaotic when leaving. Rant coming – why do people not listen? Switch off mobile phones, do not take food and drink in – couple on next table both had drinks and were playing on their phones – probably be the same if “push came to shove”.

In the Horizon they are advertising 10 free days when you buy the drinks package for the whole cruise – not sure if that is because it is a long cruise or just a new policy to encourage people to buy the package.

Second sitting dinner – table seems fine. Too tired for any of the entertainment.

More to follow …

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Smurfie All At Sea

Post by towny44 »

Have a good cruise David and look forward to your further posts. How is Ventura by the way we sail on her in April so hope she is in good shape, are there still trays in the buffet, and how is the in cabin milk packaged?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I will be following this with interest est as I have a friend who is sailing on this one.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Looking forward to reading your reports David.

One thing? Can you please expand on your remark........"especially when compared to having to take your own luggage now when using CPS at Ocean Terminal........"
I am due in Ocean in May and I would not be able to heft my luggage around. One of the joys of CPS parking has been the brawny porters taking the cases out of the boot of my car and taking them to the "hole in the wall" !!

Many thanks and enjoy your cruise

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:24
How is Ventura by the way we sail on her in April so hope she is in good shape,
She looks fine - or her age (bit like me!!)
are there still trays in the buffet
Haven't ventured there yet! Probably will not as I don't like the layout on Ventura/Azura
Whynd1 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:38
how is the in cabin milk packaged?
In sachets

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

MaureenB wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:40
Can you please expand on your remark........"especially when compared to having to take your own luggage now when using CPS at Ocean Terminal
At Ocean now when using CPS you pull in under cover across from the terminal, unlaod your own luggage onto a trolley and push it over to the "hole in the wall" when your car has been dealt with.

To be honest it is far better (and more like the "old" system) using Parking4Cruises as long as you are able to walk a short distance. If you have a blue badge I believe there are different arrangements with CPS

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:46
MaureenB wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:40
Can you please expand on your remark........"especially when compared to having to take your own luggage now when using CPS at Ocean Terminal
At Ocean now when using CPS you pull in under cover across from the terminal, unlaod your own luggage onto a trolley and push it over to the "hole in the wall" when your car has been dealt with.

To be honest it is far better (and more like the "old" system) using Parking4Cruises as long as you are able to walk a short distance. If you have a blue badge I believe there are different arrangements with CPS
We have a blue badge, but still prefer parking4cruises for the saving, and no waiting in a queue before you unload.
John

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I shall enjoy reading your reports.

Have a great time.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Have a lovely Cruise David.......and don't worry about the Mod plods. ....onelife will keep them in check :thumbup: :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:24
Have a lovely Cruise David.......and don't worry about the Mod plods. ....onelife will keep them in check :thumbup: :D
Of course you will …. checkmate :o
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 12th February – Sea Day

After a “bumpy” night we woke to a fairly bright day with some sun in the sky – albeit a coolish windy day!

The clocks go forward one hour at midday today – lost an hour of the cruise and not been on the ship a day!!

The weather today has not been too bad – windy and cool but dry with the occasional burst of sun/

A quiet day just relaxing after the last two days and getting re-acquainted with the ship. So what’s new you ask? Cannot see anything that strikes me as being different from the last time I was on Ventura. There are cans of water instead of bottles in the cabin. No receipts when you buy anything unless you ask. The covers of the menus in the MDR are new – no longer the wooden ones but some type of fabric, Wine waiters still exist although they seem to be run off their feet – well at least ours is.

There seems to be something amiss with the crew but I cannot put my finger on it at the moment – not sure if there are a lot of new crew (perhaps a lot have gone on leave in readiness for Iona) or maybe some have been upgraded to new positions and they are “finding their feet”

The show tonight was the excellent Revolvers group playing music from the 1960’s – not a seat to be had in the theatre.

More to follow …

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

No receipts :shock:

Wot a mistayka to mayka … so is one's interactive TV working ok regarding the viewing of one's rolling balance ?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have twice been billed for drinks rounds, big rounds at that, that were not ours - I feel not signing is a big mistake, unless they swipe/tap your card at the table.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:07
No receipts :shock:

Wot a mistayka to mayka … so is one's interactive TV working ok regarding the viewing of one's rolling balance ?
Hasn't been for some time now.

No receipts on out last cruise either, only if you ask.

We try and remember to ask for receipts so we can check off on our statement and make sure we're not being tucked up. :o
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Feb 2020, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

so is one's interactive TV working ok regarding the viewing of one's rolling balance
There is no interactive TV anymore on P&O
GillD46 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:12
unless they swipe/tap your card at the table
Yes they do - the waiter have iPad type devices that they key the order in and swipe your cruise card.

All this is doing is making more work for reception because passengers will be getting statements more often to check their accounts. I'm all in favour of paperless but there needs to be some easy means of checking the account because mistakes do happen.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

To be honest in this day and age, I just can’t imagine why you can’t view your account on cabin TVs on all ships.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

GillD46 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:27
To be honest in this day and age, I just can’t imagine why you can’t view your account on cabin TVs on all ships.
I never understood why P&O stopped doing this as it was ideal for keeping an eye on things. I'm sure there must be several shocked faces when they get they're statement at the end of the cruise if they haven't been keeping and eye on things.
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Feb 2020, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I believe that the interactive account on the TV was incompatible with the other systems, and in fairness it was quite "clunky" even when it was new.

For some reason P&O seem to be very slow at adopting technology on their ships compared to what is available on other ships, even those within the Carnival group.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I can categorically state that there are trays in the buffet on Ventura today

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:13
I can categorically state that there are trays in the buffet on Ventura today
Thank you David, let's hope they keep them in use for our April cruise. It does seem odd though that Oceana has dispensed with them.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:43
so is one's interactive TV working ok regarding the viewing of one's rolling balance
Really, that is quite pathetic.

We first enjoyed the use, I recall, in a SDB cabin on Azura ways back in 2010 … as you say clunky but very usual we thought.

Every passenger should ask for a receipt, I certainly would, else go to Reception and request a statement every couple of days :thumbdown:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 13 Feb 2020, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:28

We first enjoyed the use, I recall, in a SDB cabin on Azura ways back in 2010 … as you say clunky but very usual we thought.

Every passenger should ask for a receipt, I certainly would, else go to Reception and request a statement every couple of days :thumbdown:

Not even on Britannia?
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

GillD46 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:32
Manoverboard wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:28

Not even on Britannia?
Gill, I don't believe Britannia ever had access to an online account facility.
John

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Really? My memory must be playing tricks.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 12:24
I never understood why P&O stopped doing this as it was ideal for keeping an eye on things. I'm sure there must be several shocked faces when they get they're statement at the end of the cruise if they haven't been keeping and eye on things.
We have some friends who did a Princess cruise some years back who didn't even attempt to get a tally and were really shocked to see their final bill.
Mind you, so was I when they told me how much it was.

I asked them, what were you doing, drinking bottles of champagne for the fortnight.
Yep, came back the reply. :lol:

I usually get an update about every four days just to keep an eye on it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”