Reports about cruises on Ventura

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Smurfie All At Sea

Post by MaureenB »

david63 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:46
MaureenB wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:40
Can you please expand on your remark........"especially when compared to having to take your own luggage now when using CPS at Ocean Terminal
At Ocean now when using CPS you pull in under cover across from the terminal, unlaod your own luggage onto a trolley and push it over to the "hole in the wall" when your car has been dealt with.

To be honest it is far better (and more like the "old" system) using Parking4Cruises as long as you are able to walk a short distance. If you have a blue badge I believe there are different arrangements with CPS
Thank you very much for the info. I just hope the brawny porters are also across from the terminal to unload my boot. It is worth a few quid for me not have to do it.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

MaureenB wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 15:06
I just hope the brawny porters are also across from the terminal to unload my boot
From what I could see, and what I have read, they are not

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The porters only take your cases from kerbside. But, As they say, money talks.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Have a great cruise. Looking forward to your review.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Thursday 13th February – La Coruna

Arrived in La Coruna after a “bumpy” night at around 08:00 whereupon there was a heavy shower which did not bode well for the rest of the. However the weather was not too bad – temperature around 14C with occasional outbreaks of sun – in fact I was able to sit out on the balcony for about half an hour this afternoon.

Because the weather was unpredictable we decided not to book any excursions here so as we have not been before we just got off the ship and had a wander around the old town for a couple of hours until a shower persuaded us to return to the ship.

Left La Coruna around 17:00 with Captain telling us that it was going to be a bit “bumpy” again but not as bad as we have already had – it turned out that he was being “economical” with the truth!

The main entertainment was David Copperfield (no not the illusionist!) who we gave a miss as not our cup of tea.

Anyway we are now off on out six day crossing of “the pond”

More to follow …

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Stephen wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 07:45
The porters only take your cases from kerbside. But, As they say, money talks.
That is not my experience, but as a solo,lady traveller good old fashioned chivalry (plus a couple of bob) has always ensured the cases being heaved out for me. :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A fiver works better than a couple of bob …. just saying :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

For a tenner they won't rummage through it.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

david63 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 15:51
I just hope the brawny porters are also across from the terminal to unload my boot
does all this apply to the mayflower terminal too?
regards gilly.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

gilly88 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:13
I doubt it unless they have totally changed the layout, after queuing you go straight to the drop off point.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

towny44 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:35
gilly88 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:13
I doubt it unless they have totally changed the layout, after queuing you go straight to the drop off point.
oh yes I remember now lol; I will await my fate then later this year, as we don't know yet which terminal we will be docked at.
regards gilly.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Friday 14th February – Sea Day 1 0f 6

A quiet day with not much going on and with the weather and sea conditions the way they are everyone is staggering around the ship aimlessly.

Tried to go to the guest speaker but for some inexplicable reason it was being held in Havana which really is nowhere near large enough – so gave it up as a bad job.

The weather is starting to warm up a bit (18C) but the sea state is still very choppy and the wind quite strong. The Captain has re-routed us to go south of the Azores to avoid as much of storm Dennis as possible but we are catching the tail end of it!

Tonight was the first Black Tie night and the Captain’s Reception. Gave the reception a miss and from what others said we did not miss anything. The dress code was fairly well adhered to but, as usual, some of the women do stretch the definition.

Today being Valentine’s Day there was much publicity about various things but when it all came down to it all there was were a few decorations in some of the bars and a red rose left on the bed – all a bit of a damp squid really.

Dinner tonight was Marco’s Gala Dinner with Beef Wellington which has to be the smallest portion that I have ever seen and was so overcooked that it was almost inedible. No stilton with port either despite asking and being assured that it was.

The Revolvers were doing their second show tonight – good but not as good as their first show.

Saturday 15th February – Sea Day 2 of 6

Weather much the same as the last few days but not as bumpy in the night – did manage to sit/sleep on the balcony for an hour this afternoon though.

Went to a talk on Iona but nothing really new – mostly a sales pitch.

The ship still feels, and looks, like the “Home for the Bewildered” with everyone still wandering aimlessly around.

Just to dismiss the rumours about wine waiters – they are still here but the service from them (or at least ours) is almost non-existent, other than getting a bottle to the table.

Entertainment tonight was the Headliners Reel to Reel that we, and most others on this cruise, have seen many times.

More to follow …

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

gilly88 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 15:49
we don't know yet which terminal we will be docked at.
It should be on Southampton VTS

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The tail end was bad I’m sure but here in Gower it’s been horrendous.
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sunday 16th February – Sea Day 3 0f 6

The weather, and sea, are still not good – very overcast and the sea is “bumpy”

Went to the port talk on New Orleans which was given by Sam. I had heard others refer to Sam being an excellent port presenter but this was the first time that we have encountered him and have to say that he is probably the best port presenter that I have seen – how he can remember all the facts that he does and talk for over an hour without any notes is remarkable, and not only that his talks are interesting and he actually telling us what we want to know rather than trying to sell excursions.

One of the big complaints on this cruise is the lack of entertainment or that what entertainment that there is is in inappropriate venues. There is only one guest speaker on this cruise who is Tony Slattery talking about comedy and in particular the Carry On films and much of his talks involve chatting to minor stars from those films – all OK if you like that sort of thing, which many do not.

The other big complaint is that the films are being shown in Havana which is nowhere near large enough and if you do not arrive at least an hour before the film starts then you have no chance of getting in.

Monday 17th February – Sea Day 4 of 6

Much the same weather and sea wise as the previous few days so everyone is still mooching around the ship with nothing to occupy themselves with.

Another excellent port talks from San – this time about Key West.

Tried to go and see the film (Lion King) but as it was still in Havana could not get, anywhere near the place.

Tuesday 18th February – Sea Day 5 of 6

Weather improving a bit – temperature getting up to 20C but still quite windy.

Today’s port talk was on Miami and once again Sam spoke for over an hour without any notes or hesitation

Tonight was the second Black Tie night and once again was well adhered to (although many women do have a strange view of what is considered formal wear!)

The meal tonight included lobster which was so overcooked that it was like eating rubber – but at least it was not drowned in the usual Thermador sauce. This was about the fifth time that something had been overcooked so it was time to take action and have a word with the Maître ‘d (there are no head waiters anymore)

Wednesday 19th February – Sea Day 6 of 6

At last the weather is starting to improve and the sea is a lot calmer and the temperature is warming up – so much so that we could eat breakfast outside!

Today Sam was talking about San Juan. One thing about all of the ports of call so far is that they are all reasonably easy to DIY – which is probably just as well as there is very limited capacity on amy of the excursions.

Sense has prevailed at last and today’s film (Downton Abbey) is in the theatre, and it was packed.

Now it is always bad news when the Captain comes on in the cabins at six o’clock – and it was. Tomorrow we are in Hamilton and were due to be there overnight but as there is a bad storm heading towards the Bahamas we will now be leaving early afternoon. Apparently ships can only enter and leave port in daylight hours.

Definite improvement with the food tonight as the Maître ‘d was showing a personal interest – just hope that it continues.

Tonight’s show was the Headliners “Hot Ticket” which is, for us, a new show, just a pity that we could not get in to watch it as the theatre was full almost half an hour before it started. I do think that Freedom Dining has upset the balance for the shows with more now going to the second house. I think that one reason for the theatre being so full is that this is a new Headliners company.

More to follow …

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I'll have you know that Lobster Thermador is one of my faveratist meals … just saying :wave:

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

David, Thanks for the review.

Just one question. Who is dealing with dietary requirements if there are no head waiters?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

cruisin_duo wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:47
Who is dealing with dietary requirements if there are no head waiters?
There is a guy who comes round with them, but that seems to be all that he does.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Thanks David.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

david63 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 11:44
gilly88 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 15:49
we don't know yet which terminal we will be docked at.
It should be on Southampton VTS
thanks david i'll take a look. enjoy the rest of your holiday I love the reports. :clap:
regards gilly.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Stephen wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 12:24
GillD46 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:27
To be honest in this day and age, I just can’t imagine why you can’t view your account on cabin TVs on all ships.
I never understood why P&O stopped doing this as it was ideal for keeping an eye on things. I'm sure there must be several shocked faces when they get they're statement at the end of the cruise if they haven't been keeping and eye on things.
Alternatively is it not possible to access your account via the ships wifi ? If not why not ? - Smurfie if that is the case perhaps you could ask why that is so?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I don't think you've ever been able to do that on P&O. But you can on Princess. Which is a bit weird. You'd think that the benefit of being part of the same group would be shared expertise. Seems not!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Thursday 20th February – Hamilton

Woke up today to signs of it being a pleasant day with some sun appearing.

It is a bit of a misnomer that we are in Hamilton today as we are actually in the Royal Navy Dockyard which is on the other side of the island. There was much grumbling going on that people would not have enough time to get over to Hamilton and back due to the early sailing (obviously many had come on this cruise to visit Hamilton!)

We docked around 08:30 and all formalities were complete and the first passengers were off just after 09:00. We were on an excursion (sorry experience) today but not until midday so we had a look around the Dockyard – that took all of half an hour! Not much here apart from some tat craft shops, then we came across an arch and upon going through it found a small complex comprising of a beach “resort”, which unfortunately was closed and looked somewhat derelict. There was also a “golf course” which actually looked quite good (a little hidden gem)

We went back to the ship as, we did not have time to explore any further afield, until it was time for our excursion. Upon boarding, and after security, was a bored looking member of staff sat at a table expecting passengers to surrender any bottles of alcohol that they had bought – he was not doing much business!

Just before midday we went back out for our excursion only to find that there had been a shower of rain. Anyway we joined our excursion which was a boat trip (yes I know we have just spent six days at sea!) which went around the coast looking at some of the houses of the rich and famous – and quite spectacular they were. Just over half way through this excursion we were told to go inside as there was rain approaching – and that was it weather-wise for the day. We then got soaked getting back to the ship.

There was an incident of double standards in the Metropolis Bar tonight. A group of four entered and one of the men was wearing a tee shirt and because it did not have a collar was asked to leave. Some two minutes later a woman enters wearing a tee shirt and nothing was said. Now I am all in favour of enforcing the dress code but it is unfair to apply it to one gender and not the other – could possibly be classes as sex discrimination.

The food, and service in the MDR, was still showing an improvement and the show was a female violinist – not my favourite musical instrument.

The weather seems to be holding back for now but the Captain is not optimistic for the next couple of days.

More to follow …

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Friday 21st February – Sea Day

An interesting day today.

The weather was pretty much as predicted – windy with a rough(ish) sea, warm (22C) and a bit overcast and it did not improve as the day progressed.

Went to Sam’s presentation on St Kitts which was as good as all the previous port presentations that he has given,

Now comes a bit of a conundrum. We have been complaining about a lack of speakers well we have two new ones today one being Stuart St Paul who is the ex-stuntman who we saw last year on Aurora and is excellent but we did not want to have a repeat. The other speaker is Shelly Bonus who is an eccentric American female astrophysicist – not what you would consider as a speaker but have to admit that she is brilliant. She is extremely knowledgeable and highly entertaining with what is basically a fairly dry subject. The question posed was “what was there before the Big Bang?”

As the afternoon progressed the weather deteriorated a bit making it somewhat unpleasant to go out on deck.

This evening was the third (of eight) Black Tie nights. We had been asked if we would like to go to a special tasting menu dinner (at a price) in the Epicurean with the Captain and we have to admit that it was an exceptionally good night – the food was good, the wine was free flowing, the service was excellent as was the company. It was overall an excellent experience – not one that we would want to do again though.

The show tonight was The 4tunes which we wanted to see but as we did not finish our meal in time we missed it so we went up to the Metropolis Bar and listened to the pianist – Frankie Glinksman who we have heard previously on Arcadia and it rounded off an excellent night.

More to follow …

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Pity about the rain ….. it's raining in Lancashire as well by the way :(

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”