Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Post by Ray Scully »

Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry or will the big players weather the storm?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Post by Stephen »

Not sure about disasterous Ray, expensive yes.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Short term very serious and that is reflected in the current share price, but long term it will remain a growth industry.

If you have a few grand sitting in the bank earning nothing and you’re willing to take the punt, then now is the time to buy.

I last bought Carnival at a tad over £16 and sold at £45.
I recently bought another 100 at £24and a bit.
Now just forget it and wait until the profit is good.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Ray, the big boys will survive but l can see thousands of crew getting laid off before it gets better......that being said l can see cruise lines coming to some agreement with their staff......probably amounting to board and lodgings with no pay?

I agree Barney...If l could squirrel a couple of grand from my wife l would certainly be buying in......The punt is how low before taking the plunge?.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

It will certainly be financially painful over the next few months, quite possible that some smaller cruise lines won't have the backing to avoid going into administration. So maybe there will be quite a few of the older ships being scrapped as newer ones become available from failures
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 16:21
Hi Ray, the big boys will survive but l can see thousands of crew getting laid off before it gets better......that being said l can see cruise lines coming to some agreement with their staff......probably amounting to board and lodgings with no pay?

I agree Barney...If l could squirrel a couple of grand from my wife l would certainly be buying in......The punt is how low before taking the plunge?.

You can't have one without the other Keith, and I'm sure any crew laid off because the company has gone down the pan will soon find positions with other cruise lines. It's a massive industry.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The outcome could be that the likes of Iona and Co will sadly reign supreme by running cruises without any Ports but all the small ship Cruise Lines plus European Riverboat and Coaching Operators will go by the wayside due to a lack of bookings like wot happened to Voyages of Discovery. :cry:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Carnival shares have already plummeted.... I might buy mine back again if they go lower still
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I saw on the Cruise Critic forum that the US Centre for Disease Control has issued an advisory telling Americans not to travel on cruise ships.

This will have a big effect on the industry
Last edited by Gill W on 08 Mar 2020, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 21:27
I saw on the Cruise Critic forum that the US Centre for Disease Control has issued an advisory telling Americans not to travel on cruise ships.

This will have a big effect on the industry

The cruise industry will survive, some of those infected won't......sound advice and something which shouldn't be ignored.

I don't mind admitting that this really worries me (and for the record l ain't no scaredy-cat). I have two sisters both of whom fall well into the vulnerable category.

Ironically if you are going to get it then now is the best time because there are enough ventilators to go round.... give it a few weeks/months and it could be every man, women and child for themselves.

I personally think areas that have Civd 19 should be put into lock down..but hey let's wait till its out of control :crazy:
Last edited by Onelife on 08 Mar 2020, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We’re due to board Boudicca three weeks today.

The situation is fast moving and the amount of people getting COVID19 is growing at an exponential rate.

It’s difficult to know what it’ll be like in three weeks time. Fred Olsen are still sticking to their normal cancellation policy for passengers who are already booked. I will see what happens in the next day or so, and if there’s no update on their position, I will contact them to see what they are intending to do.

To be honest, today is the first day that I’ve thought I’d like to cancel the cruise. From reading Cruise Critic, it seems some places are starting to refuse entry to all cruise ships. Whatever happens, it’s unlikely to be the cruise I originally booked.

Maybe the whole industry needs to be shut down for a few weeks, at least.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I agree with you Gill, we are due to sail in just over 3 weeks and were really forward to our first cruise since August last year, and our initial view was that we would go despite Covid19. However, like you, we have now changed our mind in the light of more recent events especially how they are handling quarantine on board ships.
Hopefully since the CDC issued their new directive it may push UK cruise lines to be more reasonable with customers who have fully paid and allow us to transfer the credit to a new or existing booking, one can but hope.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

In another three weeks the number of cases will have increased, perhaps considerably. It certainly isn't going to go away so those of you who are hanging on are presumably doing so due to financial rather than health concerns. Each to their own as they say but I do hope that if you do cruise the experience will be as you would have wished.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I have a 7 day cruise booked with the family at Whitsun - 10 weeks on Saturday and am about to book the bus down to Southampton - the family have already booked theirs. At the moment we are not thinking of cancelling but this may well be taken out of our hands in a few months time - its just a case of waiting.

I have also booked Iona in July with friends and because I use a TA the balance is due next weekend - again a case of hoping by then the situation will be clearer.

Just as an aside I find coping with and caring for a very elderly mother more stressful than worrying about Covid.19 and where I can buy more toilet rolls :crazy:
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'm thinking about buying some Carnival share but am not sure what the price is or where to get them.

Being a total novice I'm not sure what the figures mean which I got from this site

https://www.hl.co.uk/partners/search/bu ... 26EALw_wcB

Carnival plc Ordinary USD1.66
Sell: 1,873.00p

Buy: 1,878.00p
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Mar 2020, 10:02, edited 2 times in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 09:51
I'm thinking about buying some Carnival share but am not sure what the price is or where to get them.
Hi Stephen, most high street banks have investment advisers or you could just go online ( you have to be careful because some charge hefty commissions} ...I note share have taken another hit this morning so if you think shares have bottomed out now would be a good time to buy...that being said it could take a few years before you double your money.

The other option is to send me your money and i will invest it for you...how kind is that? :thumbup:

:wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 10:07
Hi Stephen, most high street banks have investment advisers or you could just go online ( you have to be careful because some charge hefty commissions} ...I note share have taken another hit this morning so if you think shares have bottomed out now would be a good time to buy...that being said it could take a few years before you double your money.

The other option is to send me your money and i will invest it for you...how kind is that? :thumbup:

Hi Keith

I'm willing to have a punt as money in the bank is earning s*d all. I'm not sure what the buy figure is .Buy: 1,878.00p

Is that just over £18 a share?
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Mar 2020, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

Being a total novice I'm not sure what the figures mean which I got from this site

https://www.hl.co.uk/partners/search/bu ... 26EALw_wcB

Carnival plc Ordinary USD1.66
Sell: 1,873.00p

Buy: 1,878.00p
If you use the HL share account then it will cost you
1. The price of the shares. Using your example it will be £1878 for 100 shares.
2. Dealing charge £11.95
3. Stamp duty 0.5% of the actual buying price so £9.38

Once you have opened your account you need to deposit some cash, slightly more than what you expect to spend. You can do this instantaneously using a debit card. Any surplus cash can be transferred back.
You then need to request what shares you want to buy and how many. You want Carnival PLC symbol is CCL. You will then be given a live price and you then have 15 secs to accept or not. If you don’t accept it just times out and you start the process again.
Brian

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks Brian

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Stephen,

You might find this link of interest....

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... ares-isas/

Perhaps Brian could advise further as to which option would be best...we have always had a managed portfolio spread over several share options. if you want to invest just with Carnival plc then you best take advise from someone who knows what they are talking about.

P.s we made 7k in four years and lost 6k in the space of three weeks...we got out just before the investment company stopped people from withdrawing funds else we would have lost most of our investment.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Onelife wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 11:49
Hi Stephen,

You might find this link of interest....

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... ares-isas/

Perhaps Brian could advise further as to which option would be best...we have always had a managed portfolio spread over several share options. if you want to invest just with Carnival plc then you best take advise from someone who knows what they are talking about.

P.s we made 7k in four years and lost 6k in the space of three weeks...we got out just before the investment company stopped people from withdrawing funds else we would have lost most of our investment.

P.s...things may get a little bit worse but if you are going to have a dabble then now is the right time to do so....buy low sell high......and don't get greedy.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Dow...suspended as shares plunge 1,700 points

Stick with the gee gees Stephen :thumbup: :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Haven't done anything yet about shares. I don't like giving the tax man money on capital gains.
There was a mention about taking out an ISA but the interest on them is rubbish. Then there was a thought about investing in premium bonds but what are the chances of winning anything.

Under the mattress it is :D

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Stephen wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:58
Haven't done anything yet about shares. I don't like giving the tax man money on capital gains.
There was a mention about taking out an ISA but the interest on them is rubbish. Then there was a thought about investing in premium bonds but what are the chances of winning anything.

I got 1.6% on the maximum holding last year, sometimes £25 a month, sometimes £75 or £100. Not a vast amount, but a bit better than a bog-standard savings account. Only worth doing if you have a bit to invest, but it's a bit of fun. Very difficult to know what to do, but I'd rather the capital was safe than gambling on anything I don't fully understand.

ISAs only worth having if you've got enough squirreled away to pay tax on interest.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:58

Just as a matter of interest, when did you say you were going on holiday? :angel:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”