One to watch

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One to watch

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 08:41
We saw the iconic QE2 parked in Dubai ... you can see it too

Chan 5 at 21:00 today Friday the 24th July it is being shown as a converted luxury Hotel.
Already set to record

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Same here.

There's some good viewing on TV tonight for a change.
Last edited by Stephen on 24 Jul 2020, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Teepers
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Teepers »

Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 11:58
Gill W wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:36
Onelife wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 16:33

If you are looking for something to fill the massive gap GOT leaves you might like to watch "Outlander"........you'll be hooked after the first episode.

:wave:
I love Outlander. I’m recording the series currently on More 4 (series 4, I think), so I can binge watch.

I got Netflix at the end of last year, so we watch quite a few things on there. We are currently on series 4 of The Last Kingdom, which is set in the time of Alfred the Great. It’s worthy as a Game of Thrones replacement. It’s very bloody, no wonder people didn’t live very long in those days.

Hi Gill…. I didn’t know I had so many emotions inside me until I watched “Outlander” it’s brought out all of them at one point or another…none more so than episode 12 season 5 “Never so my Love” which had me needing a tissue…I’ll say no more other than to say I can’t wait for series 6 :thumbup: :wave:
Wow I too love Outlander and have been a huge fan of the books since the first one came out in ‘91. For some reason it was called Crosstitch... The name was then changed to outlander for the American market. I don’t know anyone else who watches it.

I am just waiting for book9 to be published😄

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Teepers wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 16:49

I've read the first three books, and keep meaning to download the next one. But they are long books, and for some reason I haven't been reading very much since lockdown begun, so haven't got round to it just yet
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:25

Chan 5 at 21:00 today Friday the 24th July it is being shown as a converted luxury Hotel.
Already set to record
Just in time for it to close for lockdown, with rumours they'll use that as an excuse for it to never re-open! :sarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 16:57
david63 wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:25

Already set to record
Just in time for it to close for lockdown, with rumours they'll use that as an excuse for it to never re-open! :sarcasm:
Too much money has been spent on it for that to happen ... with all that oil they can afford to wait :moresarcasm:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:36

I love Outlander. I’m recording the series currently on More 4 (series 4, I think), so I can binge watch.

I got Netflix at the end of last year, so we watch quite a few things on there. We are currently on series 4 of The Last Kingdom, which is set in the time of Alfred the Great. It’s worthy as a Game of Thrones replacement. It’s very bloody, no wonder people didn’t live very long in those days.

Hi Gill…. I didn’t know I had so many emotions inside me until I watched “Outlander” it’s brought out all of them at one point or another…none more so than episode 12 season 5 “Never so my Love” which had me needing a tissue…I’ll say no more other than to say I can’t wait for series 6 :thumbup: :wave:
Wow I too love Outlander and have been a huge fan of the books since the first one came out in ‘91. For some reason it was called Crosstitch... The name was then changed to outlander for the American market. I don’t know anyone else who watches it.

Hi Teepers…. I didn’t know it was originally called ‘Cross Stitch’ and like you can’t equate that name with any resemblance to the theme of the story. That being said, if the books are portrayed as they are in the series, author (Diana Gabaldon) does have something in her writing style that leaves an air of mystery as to how her mind works.

I don’t know about you but I do find some of the scenes uncomfortable watching but the story lines grab you like a vice and keep you going back for more.

Can’t wait for season six but I’m going to do my best not to watch it until the last episode has been screened…I want to watch them all in one go….a week is a lifetime when waiting for the next episode of Outlander.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Watched the QE2 in Dubai last night. Not impressed.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 07:52
Watched the QE2 in Dubai last night. Not impressed.
For us it was a memory of having seen her in situ in 2012 but also it was of some interest regarding the conversion to a Hotel process. At the end of the program Mobietta and I both agreed to remove the ' Shall we watch the Series link '.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've been watching "Designated Survivor" with Kiefer Sutherland on Netflix - courtesy of my daughter who has a subscription. It's about what happens when there's a bombing of the Capitol Building in Washington during the President's State of the Nation address. One member of Congress doesn't attend the speech but is secreted away just in case something happens. Kiefer Sutherland is that person, the Housing Secretary I believe is his position within the administration. He suddenly finds that as there are no survivors of the bombing he becomes the President. There are three series of this programme and I thoroughly enjoyed it, a little bit reminiscent of The West Wing. The series is about what happens to the Designated Survivor.

Carole

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

We are enjoying watching 'Killing Eve' at the moment.....quite funny in places but with that killer instinct....If you've watched it you will know what l mean about the killer instinct....The series revolves around a psychopathic assassin.

Teepers
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Teepers »

Onelife wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:02

Hi Teepers…. I didn’t know it was originally called ‘Cross Stitch’ and like you can’t equate that name with any resemblance to the theme of the story. That being said, if the books are portrayed as they are in the series, author (Diana Gabaldon) does have something in her writing style that leaves an air of mystery as to how her mind works.

I don’t know about you but I do find some of the scenes uncomfortable watching but the story lines grab you like a vice and keep you going back for more.

Can’t wait for season six but I’m going to do my best not to watch it until the last episode has been screened…I want to watch them all in one go….a week is a lifetime when waiting for the next episode of Outlander.

It should be a good season if it follows the book. They have mixed up the story lines a bit and taken things that happened in book six (Ie Bonnets storyline) and moved them into season 5. More uncomfortable viewing is a certainty but, it should be a brilliant season :wave:

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Little Fires Everywhere (Amazon)

It took an episode or so to get into it but after that a tad riveting. Whilst an American production it reflects many of the attitudes prevalent in our society

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

If you want a nice little feel good film try 'Pay it forward'

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I enjoyed Babylon Berlin.
Mel

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are currently watching re-runs of 'Only When I Laugh' on catch-up.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

screwy wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 17:44
I enjoyed Babylon Berlin.
Wife suggests I don't watch it Screwy, the steamy bits could be bad for my ticker :-)

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I really don’t know what you mean....😂😂
Mel

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Talking of ' Berlin ' ....

BBC4 tonight at 22:00hrs the first of six ' Blackadder Goes Forth ' .... " Last one in Berlin's a rotten egg " :relaxed:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen mentioned Ray Winstone's Sicily and said to use Catch up on My5.

I couldn't locate it so did a ' Search ' on Sky and found episodes 2 and 3 but no mention of episode 1 .... just saying.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 12:48

I couldn't locate it so did a ' Search ' on Sky and found episodes 2 and 3 but no mention of episode 1 .... just saying.

I take it you have Freeview.

Go to catchup and choose MY5 Channel.

You will see the two episodes listed at the bottom of the page listings. The one to the right is episode 1. I mention this as I find the print difficult to read due to its size.

I'm surprised you can view episode three as it's not showing on terrestrial tv until next Monday. I guess Sky take priority........but not all of them :sarcasm: :D
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Sep 2020, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Same for me moby.
Sky don’t seem to have 1 .
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 13:56

You will see the two episodes listed at the bottom of the page listings. The one to the right is episode 1. I mention this as I find the print difficult to read due to its size.

I'm surprised you can view episode three as it's not showing on terrestrial tv until next Monday. I guess Sky take priority........but not all of them :sarcasm: :D
SKY gave me the option of selecting and then recording it next Monday, this I did but I also downloaded episode 2.

My TV is far too Smart to use Freeview sans ( Darzet for without ) SKY ;)

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 14:54
Stephen wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 13:56

SKY gave me the option of selecting and then recording it next Monday, this I did but I also downloaded episode 2.

My TV is far too Smart to use Freeview sans ( Darzet for without ) SKY ;)

So you can't get the first episode with precious Sky, oh dear.....snigger snigger. How common

Anyway, I tried to help you but your obviously beyond help :D :thumbup:

I must admit I thought episode 2 was only listed the other day on superior Freeview. But, when I clicked on ep2 both episodes became visible. Probably works like that to keep the Sky rif raf out :lol:
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Sep 2020, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 15:17
So you can't get the first episode with precious Sky, oh dear.....snigger snigger. How common

Anyway, I tried to help you but your obviously beyond help :D :thumbup:

I must admit I thought episode 2 was only listed the other day on superior Freeview. But, when I clicked on ep2 both episodes became visible. Probably works like that to keep the Sky rif raf out :lol:
I haven't yet decided if I even want to watch the first episode :sarcasm: ... bet it's about Palermo :yawn: :yawn:

Had downloaded ep2 and progged ep3, just checked and SKY have revised it to record ep2 on Saturday morning and to record further episodes automatically ... can't do that on Freeview, oh no :P

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”