Deck Space

Discussions about anything related to Azura

Topic author
Teepers
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Deck Space

Post by Teepers »

Can anyone advise what the deck space is like on Azura?

We usually sail on Oceana but our Cruise out of Malta this year has been cancelled. We have re-booked for the end of next August on Azura. However, looking on line at photos and video clips it appears to be really crowded on the open decks😱! The retreat is not an option as our son will be 17.

Has anyone any advise for quieter areas of the decks to chill and read on sea days?

Thank you

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Deck Space

Post by Manoverboard »

Our one and only cruise on Azura, back in 2010, went to the Canaries. It rained every day until we reached Gran Canaria and then seemed to rain thereafter. We had a SDL balcony cabin and that was the only space where we could sit, every available spot was taken up within the ship. If you have nice weather it should be a much better experience.

Fingers crossed :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It's a case of just looking and parking Teepers. There is always a quiet space to be found on any ship. Obviously it can depend on factors such as time of day, and of course when there are tours and allot of passengers are ashore you shouldn't have much problem finding a nice area.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Teepers wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 12:07
Has anyone any advise for quieter areas of the decks to chill and read on sea days?
A lot will depend on the passenger demographic for the cruise but being August I would expect there to be quite a few children (of all ages) and probably many younger passengers than you would get in March.

If that is the case then I would expect the pool areas to be very busy and quite honestly the way they put the sunbeds out (sardines have more room!) they are areas that I would avoid. If you look at the deck space away from the pool areas then you should have little problem in finding some quiet(er), less crowded spaces.

Topic author
Teepers
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Teepers »

We don’t tend to go anywhere near the pools - sardines and seals spring to mind!

Just somewhere sunny where we can relax, read, listen to music with a glass of something sparkly and watch the sea or view.

I’m sure we will be fine.

But any other tips re Azura would be greatly appreciated.

🤩

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

As others have said it can get crowded close to the pools but less so elsewhere and we always use our balcony anyway unless we're actually swimming. Most balconies on Azura and Ventura are bigger than Oceana, especially if you go for the D Deck Superior Deluxe Cabins that we like (and I know Stephen does too) or the C Deck standard balconies.

I never understand why some people laying fully clothed reading a book or asleep feel the need to be right by the pool. I wish they'd reserve the first row or two by the pool for those who are swimming to dry off in the sun after.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We were on the last Azura cruise and had no real problems finding sun loungers. There are many areas giving a lot of choice
- the deck outside the retreat (our favourite)
- the upper deck
- around the main pool
- at the cinema screen
- at the rear
They all got busy but we usually found loungers were we wanted them - maybe not our first choice of spot, but they are there.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

One tip I will give you is to book Sindhus early

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... and don't even think about going for coffee 'n' cake if it's raining

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 13:02
As others have said it can get crowded close to the pools but less so elsewhere and we always use our balcony anyway unless we're actually swimming. Most balconies on Azura and Ventura are bigger than Oceana, especially if you go for the D Deck Superior Deluxe Cabins that we like (and I know Stephen does too) or the C Deck standard balconies.

I never understand why some people laying fully clothed reading a book or asleep feel the need to be right by the pool. I wish they'd reserve the first row or two by the pool for those who are swimming to dry off in the sun after.
Merv, I'm pretty sure C deck cabins have a bigger balcony but standard cabin size on Ventura and Azura. They always looked bigger, certainly on Ventura when I look up from our D deck SD cabin. Unless my old mincers are playing tricks on me :)
Last edited by Stephen on 30 Apr 2020, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We’ve had both c & d SD cabins and can confirm C deck balconies are bigger. We always go for C deck.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 15:46
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 13:02

Merv, I'm pretty sure C deck cabins have a bigger balcony but standard cabin size on Ventura and Azura. They always looked bigger, certainly on Ventura when I look up from our D deck SD cabin. Unless my old mincers are playing tricks on me :)
They have. I meant C Deck standard balcony cabins also have big balconies. Indeed bigger than D Deck. Huge.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

With sun and shade to sit / lie in ... and not overlooked like the ones on D Deck are.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

screwy wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 16:09
We’ve had both c & d SD cabins and can confirm C deck balconies are bigger. We always go for C deck.
The other advantage of C Deck over D, is that C offers shade and sun at about 50/50, but D balconies have no shade at all.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Is there an echo ..... :?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 17:50
Is there an echo ..... :?
Ta
That will teach me to read a thread to the end before I reply, but unfortunately I am a slow leaner. ;)
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 17:40
The other advantage of C Deck over D, is that C offers shade and sun at about 50/50, but D balconies have no shade at all.
Depends if you want more cabin space or more balcony space. As for shade on D cabins, never had a problem.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

C deck cabins balconies are 89 Sq ft(9ft x9ft) the first 5ft is covered by balcony above.
D deck balconies are 49 Sq ft
Standard balconies are 46 Sq ft
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 17:56
Depends if you want more cabin space or more balcony space. As for shade on D cabins, never had a problem.
It's the cabin space that clinches it for us.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

C deck cabins do not have extra beds though.
regards gilly.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 19:10

Same here

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 01 May 2020, 07:10

Same here
Not a problem for us, accessible cabins are 50% bigger than standard anyway.
John

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Teepers wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 12:59
We don’t tend to go anywhere near the pools - sardines and seals spring to mind!

Just somewhere sunny where we can relax, read, listen to music with a glass of something sparkly and watch the sea or view.

I’m sure we will be fine.

But any other tips re Azura would be greatly appreciated.

🤩
Sun deck or aqua deck are always the quietest Teepers.

We also cannot understand the need to be squashed around the pool area

There are nice quiet areas if you search them out.

We tend to do the same on land based holidays.

Should you opt for a balcony cabin, the C deck ones are a very good size, assuming the sun is in the right position.
Empty vessels .. and all that

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 19:43
C deck cabins do not have extra beds though.
Yes they do, they have the Pullman bunks.We had one in October on Ventura.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 01 May 2020, 07:10

Same here
I need somewhere to keep out of the way while Ma'am slaps on the war paint for dinner.

Return to “About Azura”