Travel Corridors

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travel Corridors

Post by david63 »

I wonder if these will apply to cruise ships - if so it will be the first glimmer of hope that cruising will be able to return later in the year.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Travel Corridors

Post by Kendhni »

Can't come soon enough.

Just noticed with TUI and Jet2 that there are no holidays listed from our nearest airport until April 2021.
Last edited by Kendhni on 25 Jun 2020, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Also noticed that Jet2 have cancelled alot of flights from Leeds Bradford for this year.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

but is Spain still not allowing any cruise ships in?
Meg
x

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

What I find incomprehensible is that some of the people complaining about others not socially distancing and the opening of pubs are the same people who are happy to jump on an airplane and fly to Spain.
Not on here I must add, but people I know.

One of Mrs Bs customers yesterday was telling her how she’s been so concerned about covid and dobbing in others for not conforming then proclaimed that she has a Villa booked for end July and really looking forward to it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Our next cruise is booked for end of June 2021 but will cancel if too many restrictions are still happening.
We don’t want to go on holiday wearing masks etc.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

barney wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 15:44
Our next cruise is booked for end of June 2021 but will cancel if too many restrictions are still happening.
That's how I feel. if there's too many restrictions, it's no holiday
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I doubt P&O want their passengers to be subject to too many restrictions, so they will be lobbying hard for a more balanced approach.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Possibly the cruise companies are hoping for a certain percentage to cancel so that those that book well in advance 'thin themselves' out. It will be interesting to see what the cruise experience is going to be next year (travel permitting)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

towny44 wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 16:00
I doubt P&O want their passengers to be subject to too many restrictions, so they will be lobbying hard for a more balanced approach.
That would cause me other concerns - I wouldn’t feel comfortable in an environment where there wasn’t enough social distancing and other measures.

This is why I think I’m done with cruising for quite a long time to come
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 18:20
Possibly the cruise companies are hoping for a certain percentage to cancel so that those that book well in advance 'thin themselves' out. It will be interesting to see what the cruise experience is going to be next year (travel permitting)
My next cruise is in March, as it stands at the moment, I would happily volunteer to be bumped off the ship, as long as they refund my deposit
Gill

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Next cruise 31 May, we have no intention of setting foot or a*se on a boat or plane till then.
Mel

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Next cruise for me and the family is Christmas on Iona - well supposed to be - she’s not even been launched yet :roll: but we are thinking do we want to go - I’m in the over 70’s category and the in-laws are in their 80’s. We are hoping P&O will cancel until the end of the year we don’t want to go through the paying for cruise scenario again and getting refunded - such a faff :(
Janis

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 20:06
Christmas on Iona - well supposed to be - she’s not even been launched ye
The last that I heard was that she is almost finished and is in Rotterdam - but she may have moved since then

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 22:00
Jan Rosser wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 20:06
Christmas on Iona - well supposed to be - she’s not even been launched ye
The last that I heard was that she is almost finished and is in Rotterdam - but she may have moved since then
She has been tootling up and down the Skagerak for the last week doing sea trials. I imagine she will be heading back to Bremerhaven shortly and then Carnival and Meyer Werft will need to do some hard talking to decide if CCL can cobble the final fee together ready for an August handover.
John

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I guess the governments job in establishing air corridors with other countries just got a lot more difficult following the scenes on the UK beaches. What other country would want to accept us after showing such willingness to flout sensible guidelines in the current situation.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A classic example in Liverpool last night. Idiots

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Kendhni wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 07:03
I guess the governments job in establishing air corridors with other countries just got a lot more difficult following the scenes on the UK beaches. What other country would want to accept us after showing such willingness to flout sensible guidelines in the current situation.
Not forgetting the tons of crap they leave on the beaches. 😡
Don't worry, be happy

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

If the air corridors were happening now I wonder how many of those on the beach at Bournemouth yesterday would have been on a plane heading for the Mediterranean. Is the Foreign Office advice against foreign travel still in existence?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Borrowed .... I wonder how many will admit to being there!.
"Some things that I just don't understand....
You decide to go to the beach. Its heaving when you get there. Why dont you just turn the car round and go elsewhere? Anywhere else, even if it's back home?
Why, when you've taken the trouble to pack a bag with your picnic, do you not take all your debris and put it back into same bag and dump it when you get back home? Why leave it on the beach? What is wrong with you?
Will you be embarrassed or proud to say, "I was one of the folk on Bournemouth beach that day?"
Be ashamed. For I'm rather ashamed to be British right now."

We had the same situation up here in the Lake District with gridlock on narrow roards, people parking in passing places and a scene of desecration with all the rubbish and human waste left behind for somebody else to clear up. It's absolute madness and it's disgusting. I fear I am going to be shielded for a whole lot longer as a consequence of people who just don't care about anything but themselves.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

CaroleF wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 10:18
If the air corridors were happening now I wonder how many of those on the beach at Bournemouth yesterday would have been on a plane heading for the Mediterranean. Is the Foreign Office advice against foreign travel still in existence?
Somebody on the News this morning was saying if you do travel your insurance will not cover you because the advice from the FO is not to travel.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Is the Foreign Office advice against foreign travel still in existence?
Yes for all but essential travel. However I cannot see the bit about over 70s not cruising - not that there are any cruises to go on at the moment.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 10:23
Somebody on the News this morning was saying if you do travel your insurance will not cover you because the advice from the FO is not to travel.
But Boris knows that and presumably if and when he announces these air corridors he will also remove the advise not to travel for holidays. Or is he as stupid as some people think.
John

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

towny44 wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 11:07

But Boris knows that and presumably if and when he announces these air corridors he will also remove the advise not to travel for holidays. Or is he as stupid as some people think.
That's what Simon Calder said yesterday (not that Boris is stupid, though for all I know he may think that, but that the FO advice will be lifted for the countries with which we share an air corridor) :D .

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

anniec wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 13:05
towny44 wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 11:07

That's what Simon Calder said yesterday (not that Boris is stupid, though for all I know he may think that, but that the FO advice will be lifted for the countries with which we share an air corridor) :D .
Good heavens, am I being mentioned alongside Simon Calder, makes me most chuffed. :wave:
Last edited by towny44 on 26 Jun 2020, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
John

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”