Re: Travel for the over 70

Post by david63 »

At this moment in time - nobody knows

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The government advice for over 70s and people with certain health conditions not to travel on cruise ships is still in effect

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ove ... uise-ships

I personally doubt if cruising will get going again in any meaningful way this year.

If it did, and the advice was still in place, I think the over 70s would need to check with their insurance companies to see if they are still covered.

Also, i think cruise companies are still responsible enough not to go against government advice.
Last edited by Gill W on 01 Jul 2020, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Regardless of what either the government or the cruise companies say, I find it difficult to believe that anyone in the "vunerable" category (or anyone else for that matter) would seriously think of going anywhere near a cruise ship for at least six months.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

kaymar wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:44
Regardless of what either the government or the cruise companies say, I find it difficult to believe that anyone in the "vunerable" category (or anyone else for that matter) would seriously think of going anywhere near a cruise ship for at least six months.
If not longer ..... we certainly wouldn't if only because the Worldies will then be kicking off and most of those would be heading for places with even more cases than we have here in the UK.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:49
kaymar wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:44
If not longer ..... we certainly wouldn't if only because the Worldies will then be kicking off and most of those would be heading for places with even more cases than we have here in the UK.
My own view is that cruising has been a very safe and healthy holiday, and will be even safer in future, but it will need to go back to Noro style quarantine methods, and to have agreements in place with all countries and Ports of call about the safe transfer to shore side hospitals of any very sick passengers.
As regards FCO advice, I am absolutely certain that once cruising is allowed to restart, the restrictions will be lifted.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Saga have taken an interesting approach. They have announced that when they restart they are considering doing some more round UK cruises and some with no ports at all. Both will avoid the concern about whether other countries allow cruise ships and FCO advice about foreign destinations. With thorough medical screening at boarding, which is more feasible with their smaller ships, that should make them a safer environment. They have also announced that their included insurance now covers Covid.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’ve always fancied a U.K. cruise but they are quite rare, expensive and usually book up quickly.
I’d happily switch my Med to the U.K..

The price difference for us from our Med cruise next year to a round Britain is £1,400
I can’t see any justification for that unless the U.K. port charges are much higher.
Last edited by barney on 01 Jul 2020, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Here's a plan, copied from the Dining Topic ...

Had a chat with chums from Poole yesterday and they explained that their ferry journey from Poole to France is booked but that everybody who was able to book could only do so if they agreed to book a cabin and stop in it for the entire crossing and also to take any food and beverages that might be required. Perhaps P&O will follow suit on their cruises

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:32
I’ve always fancied a U.K. cruise but they are quite rare, expensive and usually book up quickly.

The price difference for us from our Med cruise next year to a round Britain is £1,400
I can’t see any justification for that unless the U.K. port charges are much higher.
The use of much smaller ships is, I believe, the reason for the price difference and these are always dearer regardless of the destination. In our experience anyway.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Manoverboard wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:49
barney wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:32

The use of much smaller ships is, I believe, the reason for the price difference and these are always dearer regardless of the destination. In our experience anyway.
Next July is the Arcadia Moby

Hardly a tiddler but it is adults only, so that may explain it.

For 2021 you only have a choice of ...... one
That's it.

My SiL was doing a round the UK on Celebrity this year but it was obviously off.
Empty vessels .. and all that

daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:02
Saga have taken an interesting approach. They have announced that when they restart they are considering doing some more round UK cruises and some with no ports at all. Both will avoid the concern about whether other countries allow cruise ships and FCO advice about foreign destinations. With thorough medical screening at boarding, which is more feasible with their smaller ships, that should make them a safer environment. They have also announced that their included insurance now covers Covid.
Saga, like the other Insurers who say Covid is covered, will only cover you if you get infected while away on the cruise. They do not cover you for cancellation if you should pick up Covid before you travel. In effect, once you have paid the balance of your cruise, which is going to be several thousand of pounds, up until the day you depart you'd better pray you don't get the infection as you will not be insured for cancellation.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

daveoc14 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 14:34
Saga, like the other Insurers who say Covid is covered, will only cover you if you get infected while away on the cruise. They do not cover you for cancellation if you should pick up Covid before you travel. In effect, once you have paid the balance of your cruise, which is going to be several thousand of pounds, up until the day you depart you'd better pray you don't get the infection as you will not be insured for cancellation.
Thanks Dav….That’s not something that I was aware of as I’m sure others won’t be either. :clap:

P.s. I don't think we’ve met so welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 14:17
Next July is the Arcadia Moby
Ah .... :oops:

My mind went to Artemis / Adonia / Fred / Saga sized ships, clearly I didn't think it through properly :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Yes you're right. But it's better than my annual policy which doesn't currently cover it at all. To be honest I'm less worried about cancellation than the possible astronomic costs of getting it abroad and possible repatriation.

daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

Onelife wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 14:44

Thank you.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 14:44
Thanks Dav….That’s not something that I was aware of as I’m sure others won’t be either. :clap:

But if you had it and turned up to embark and you failed the tests, they would deny you boarding, would they then refuse to refund you?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The whole question of if/ when cruises will restart boggles my mind.

I've seen some pictures of the P&O fleet at their resting places, and they are looking a bit sorry and rusty. They would need to be spruced up before any passengers went onboard. Then there's the question of getting the crew back on board, from diverse places all over the world. Not to mention getting reprovisioned from scratch. Therefore I think any restart would be very gradual, one ship at a time, to see how it goes.

I would think the 2021 sailings are quite full, as a lot of people have moved their cruises from 2020 to 2021. To have any social distancing, they will need to sail at reduced capacity, so they would likely have to bump people off the sailings, so more refunds. Or if they changed the itineraries to short round Britain cruises, they'd have to cancel all the current bookings - yet more refunds.

The atmosphere on board would be very different and the restrictions would not make a relaxing holiday. I'm not sure if I'd trust my fellow passengers to adhere to all the rules that would be in place - as we know many already think rules don't apply to them.

Then there's the problem of what will happen if the virus gets on board. Even if any ports were open, one whiff of the virus, and they are not going to let people go ashore. As COVID19 can be a very serious illness, would everyone be confined to their cabins if there was an outbreak on board. What with local lockdowns and and possibility of infection spikes at any time, the situation is incredibly fluid.

These are just a few things that have gone through my mind. I can't see for the life of me how cruising as a holiday can get going again in the current environment
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

If you are denied boarding because of symptoms you will get a full refund, according to Princess.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

Gill W wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:03
The whole question of if/ when cruises will restart boggles my mind.

I've seen some pictures of the P&O fleet at their resting places, and they are looking a bit sorry and rusty. They would need to be spruced up before any passengers went onboard. Then there's the question of getting the crew back on board, from diverse places all over the world. Not to mention getting reprovisioned from scratch. Therefore I think any restart would be very gradual, one ship at a time, to see how it goes.

I would think the 2021 sailings are quite full, as a lot of people have moved their cruises from 2020 to 2021. To have any social distancing, they will need to sail at reduced capacity, so they would likely have to bump people off the sailings, so more refunds. Or if they changed the itineraries to short round Britain cruises, they'd have to cancel all the current bookings - yet more refunds.

The atmosphere on board would be very different and the restrictions would not make a relaxing holiday. I'm not sure if I'd trust my fellow passengers to adhere to all the rules that would be in place - as we know many already think rules don't apply to them.

Then there's the problem of what will happen if the virus gets on board. Even if any ports were open, one whiff of the virus, and they are not going to let people go ashore. As COVID19 can be a very serious illness, would everyone be confined to their cabins if there was an outbreak on board. What with local lockdowns and and possibility of infection spikes at any time, the situation is incredibly fluid.

These are just a few things that have gone through my mind. I can't see for the life of me how cruising as a holiday can get going again in the current environment

my mind too. how are the crew are going to social distance when they share cabins? the kitchens must be a hive of bodies, how's that going to work? forget any guest speakers joining the cruise mid way round the journey.
then there is the passengers, one at a time in the lifts!! fighting for the one sun bed on the decks!!.

it looks very difficult to see it happening any time soon. :cry: :cry:
Last edited by gilly88 on 01 Jul 2020, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
regards gilly.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”