Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cruising to Restart

Post by david63 »

The Government have announced that domestic cruising can restart from May 17th

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/tra ... start-plan

I don't think that I will be first in line though!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Cruising to Restart

Post by Manoverboard »

If the sun was shining and we had an aft suite and the ship had lots of dining venues and we could get off now and again then maybe .... but maybe not.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mixed views.

Good for the industry, but lets hope it’s not too soon and back fires.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

One more week and I will be fully inoculated with my anti-bodies at their peak - so I would happily go, unfortunately the better half has only had one of her jabs, so far, so wouldn't consider it safe ... so we will just have to wait a little bit longer.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

It all depends on duration and pricing. And weather of course. We would be happy to float around looking at the waves. Every wave is different, you know!

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Had both our jabs, will be fully effective in a couple of weeks. BUT, we'll still give it 12 months (at least) until the world has returned to something like normality before we go anywhere near a cruise ship. Wimps? Maybe, but still alive and happy!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Meg 50 wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 17:27
Unfortunately I cannot read it without registering which I refuse to do to read a paper

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

ah sorry - I'll copy/paste it

This week’s welcome – and long overdue – news that cruise lines can finally start sailing in UK waters from May 17 barely seems believable.

I am counting the days until I can climb the gangway on to my first cruise ship in more than a year, but I’m also wondering what I will discover upon stepping aboard.

I’m not talking about masks and social distancing, as in the current climate those are a given, but long-term changes that will reshape cruise holidays for the future.

After such a seismic shift that has rocked cruising to the core, it is clear life at sea will never be the same again – but in many ways that’s a positive.

The pandemic has forced the cruise industry to re-examine every aspect of the experience it offers guests, bringing in new measures, speeding up initiatives and streamlining procedures that, in some cases, were crying out for attention.

The most high-profile changes involve enhanced health and cleanliness protocols while employing the latest technology to ensure safe and convenient cruising in the post-Covid era. Cleaner ships don’t just cut the risk of Covid bugs running rampant, but the threat of others too, most notably norovirus which normally strikes with depressing regularity every winter (as it does in any environment where large groups of people gather).

Not only will more stringent cleaning and sanitising procedures endeavour to halt the spread of germs, but subjecting passengers to rigorous health screening and temperature checks will help to weed out any other lurking contagions before they are brought aboard.

Cruise ships have always been noted for their onboard medical facilities and following last year’s widely-publicised coronavirus outbreaks, companies have ramped up provision in this sphere with increased staff, expanded space and more state-of-the-art equipment. So if the worst does happen and passengers unwittingly become patients for any reason, at least medical provision will be more superior than in the past.

The same applies to air quality as, rather than recirculating air, companies have installed advanced filtration systems to pump fresh air into cabins and public areas using hospital-grade HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems, and employed ultraviolet germicidal irradiation disinfectant systems to destroy harmful microorganisms.

A key factor underpinning many of the advances is the use of technology – which was already starting to transform the cruise experience pre-pandemic with wearable tech, such as bracelets and discs, enabling touchless check-in, unlocking cabin doors and letting guests order food and drink remotely.

Such high-tech tools and smartphone apps have gathered steam over the last year as cruise companies eagerly embraced and enhanced the ways they can be used to keep passengers safe.

Yet for most passengers, this brave new world of cruising will become apparent on the day they arrive at the terminal. Timed check-in slots, designed to avoid crowds and lengthy queues, are likely to be more rigorously implemented, with roving staff armed with handheld devices helping to streamline embarkation and speed guests through.

Once aboard, another established crowd-puller – the safety drill – is also set to undergo changes for obvious reasons.

Even before Covid, cruise lines had poured their collective brains into making this dull, but necessary, procedure more tolerable for guests, and the pandemic pause has prompted many to look at more flexible and remote alternatives.

Leading the way is Royal Caribbean International (RCI) with a new eMuster system called Muster 2.0 whereby passengers complete the safety drill on their cabin television or mobile device and then verify it at their assigned assembly station with a crew member before the ship sails.

If such remote mustering systems become industry-wide, this promises to be a major boon for guests on departure days.

Dining is another area under the microscope with serve-yourself buffets an obvious no-no, but using crew members to wait on tables or dish out servings avoids potential food waste among the piled-high plates of over-enthusiastic diners whose appetites can’t match their ambitions.

Itineraries also look likely to change as some destinations weigh up their priorities, with newcomers, such as Israel where RCI is basing a ship this summer, coming to the fore.

However, a year without cruise calls has led some established spots, notably Key West in Florida and the Caribbean isle of Grand Cayman, to look at restricting future ship visits and this, in turn, could push larger lines to place increased emphasis on their private Caribbean islands where they can control the experience more rigorously.

For the army of cruising fans, 2021 promises light at the end of the tunnel, or even funnel.

There’s obvious relief that this dynamic industry will finally start sailing again with a double dose of new ships as those due to be unveiled in 2020 sail on to the cruising scene this year. Underpinning this are a raft of short-term special offers and flexible cancellation policies designed to tempt back customers back for post-pandemic voyages.

Cruise lines will be able to say with a degree of confidence that cruising isn’t just back in business, but it has the potential to be better than ever.
Meg
x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you for that Meg, it's a very interesting article.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

not sure how the mustering will work - how can they be sure that everyone watches remotely?

It's difficult enough getting them to concentrate in a lounge....
Meg
x

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

If the call does come to abandon ship will the lifeboats only be available to those wearing masks?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 09:41
If the call does come to abandon ship will the lifeboats only be available to those wearing masks?
... and social distancing in a lifeboat will be interesting!

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Thankfully cruise ships do not sink that often, normally only once.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ray B wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 10:12
Thankfully cruise ships do not sink that often, normally only once.
:)

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

See the director of P&O is being interviewed at 8.30am today on sky news about the start of cruises

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Reports this morning that P&O are going to require proof of vaccination if we are to sail with them.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

You should have had an e-mail from P&O today with all the details of their summer cruises, Britannia 3 nt cruises from £449pp in a balcony, starting in July, Iona 7nt cruises from £779pp in a balcony starting August, and they only require a 15% deposit!
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Do you get a free mask ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 08:40
Reports this morning that P&O are going to require proof of vaccination if we are to sail with them.
According to the travel reporter Simon Calder on the BBC news this morning the P&O crew won't be vaccinated but will be regularly swabbed.
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Mar 2021, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It seems a strange decision. If passengers are expected to have been vaccinated I would have thought crews should be too.

Pam + Neil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pam + Neil »

I have just read there will no exemptions for anyone who cannot wear a face mask. Should this apply to any passenger they are asked no to book.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 10:37
It seems a strange decision. If passengers are expected to have been vaccinated I would have thought crews should be too.
That was also my thought.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I wouldn’t set foot on any cruise ship if the crew weren’t vaccinated…neither would I if you are required to wear a face mask.

The only other reason I wouldn’t step on a cruise ship would be if I knew Stephen was on it :thumbup: :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 10:56
oldbluefox wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 10:37
That was also my thought.
Where would they get them from was my thought as they don't qualify for an NHS jab nor should they.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”