back to back cruises

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

back to back cruises

Post by poole boy »

as my wife and I are considering doing a back to back cruise both one week long when p&o announce there British cruises this week can any body tell me how they work as we have never done this before many thanks to any body who can help :crazy:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: back to back cruises

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Same ship? Same cabin?

They are essentially two separate cruises but you may get a small discount. If it is different cabins then your steward will assist you with the move. You can ‘board’ for the second cruise earlier than the other plebs.

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-as ... Q3.summary

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I have heard, and I have no idea if it is true or not, that you cannot do back to back on British cruises due to Covid protocols.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

David63
Thank you very much for your reply we are more depressed than ever now if that is true but will check with travel agent when p&o release the UK cruises

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

The FAqs explicitly state you will not be allowed to do back-to-back on the British Isle cruises.
https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape

I thought the FAQs were actually quite funny
- Are cruises only available to vaccinated passengers - Yes, you must have had your second vaccination at least one week before
- What does this mean if I have already booked but not been vaccinated
- Why are these only for vaccinated
- Will I need to have had both doses
- How will you check ... P&O could follow the CHina example (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2021/fe ... id-19.html)
- Will you reimburse expenses if I am denied boarding ... tough
- What if I am exempt from vaccination? ... tough
- What if I am an entitled prissy little conspiracy theorist who thinks I am above your rules? ... tough

OK I made the last one up, but I am sure there will be some interesting conversations during check in.
Last edited by Kendhni on 17 Mar 2021, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

If you read the q and a unfortunately back to back cruising is unavailable on the new UK coastal water cruises.

They are also hedging around d crew vaccination, just says they will be subject to protocols.
All passengers have had to have had both jabs.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

In the event that you are able to do your b2b then, if it helps, we got off last after cruise 1 and then got on first for cruise 2. Meanwhile we went shopping. We have booked the same cabin which is easy but also a different cabin which was also easy as the crew do the moving ... no need to unpack the drawers if your cabin types are the same.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Kendhni wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 07:19
The FAqs explicitly state you will not be allowed to do back-to-back on the British Isle cruises.
Case closed then.

I would have been interested in a longer cruise even if we didn’t get off the ship but three or four nights are not even worth packing for. It will be interesting to see what the take up is for these, if any.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 08:22
Case closed then.

I would have been interested in a longer cruise even if we didn’t get off the ship but three or four nights are not even worth packing for. It will be interesting to see what the take up is for these, if any.
An overnight bag will do, it will be smart-ish caj at best ;)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Case closed then.

Iona is doing 7 night cruises, are they long enough for you?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It will be interesting to see what the take up is for these, if any.
I would suspect that the majority of passengers will be those living within a short distance of Southampton - I cannot see many from Scotland making the journey for a four night cruise.

I think the Iona cruises will probably sell quite well with them being that bit longer and it being a new ship.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

towny44 wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 09:50
Case closed then.

Iona is doing 7 night cruises, are they long enough for you?
We shall never be sailing on Iona, it's too big for us with not enough outside space. And seven nights is too short to relax too. Even though we live only seven miles from the docks it's still too much of a hassle.

Away in the caravan it is then :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 12:24
We shall never be sailing on Iona, it's too big for us with not enough outside space. And seven nights is too short to relax too.
It may well have passed the size limit for us too QB, and not be our preferred style of cruising. But we are booked for 2022 for the only reason that we want to take our daughter and granddaughters away and 7 night to the Fjords is our price limit and Iona is the only P&O ship doing it. So it won't be our usual cruise but with the children will be a different and hopefully lovely experience.

7 nights is okay for us, but it is our lower limit these days. We prefer more but once again on this occasion needs must and the price is the limiting factor. Our Queen Victoria trip is the one just for us in 2022 and that is longer. 12 nights I think.

On the original query we have only done back-to-back once. We had the same cabin, and it didn't have to disembark in Southampton in between. Just collected new cruise cards from reception. It was lovely to not have to get up early and to watch the others departing from our balcony, then have a few hours with the ship almost to ourselves.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

That must feel eerie not having other gusts about. I assume everything is shut down between disembarkation and boarding.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 15:55
That must feel eerie not having other gusts about. I assume everything is shut down between disembarkation and boarding.
You'de have to take a few sandwiches to tide you over :lol:

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

When I did my back to back on Oceana they had one coffee shop open. We got a letter via reception telling us to use this cafe (can't remember the name of the bar) until I think 3 pm. We could get a drink and a sandwich. There were six if us who stayed on. I kept the same cabin. I must admit I enjoyed being on deck and watching the passengers get off the ship, their holiday over. I felt rather superior knowing I had another 14 days to look forward to.
Up the Palace

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

When we did it coffee places were open and one of the dining rooms at lunchtime. And the pools. Nice to use them without being jumped on. Plenty of free sunbeds too.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”