34 Fatalities in cruise ship industry

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

34 Fatalities in cruise ship industry

Post by Kendhni »

I was just reading a couple of articles about which ships will no longer be with us post pandemic. Sad to see many of these once mighty and beautiful ships going to the scrap heap. Of the list we have only sailed on 2 of them.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/all-cruise-s ... -pandemic/
https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5423/

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 34 Fatalities in cruise ship industry

Post by david63 »

I suspect that many of those ships were destined to be "retired" in the not too distant future anyway.

I think you will probably find a similar pattern in the airline industry as these are probably two of the most affected industries by the pandemic.

Hopefully they will both come back stronger in the next few years - but one thing that will be certain is that the cost of using these will rise.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Yes, I’ve only been on two of them; Oceana & Arcadia(2). Oceana was certainly good for sun bathing but I really struggled with the atrium and the idea a social hub. I think that was more to do with my preference for the older style which was being phased out. I would probably have appreciated her more now.
Arcadia was a popular ship and the cabins were huge ( relatively ) & a safe! There were couple of great metal support post in the middle the deck quoits courts but generally it was pretty good. The bizarre sculpture in the atrium always kept passengers guessing - did it move? Is it motorised? etc. It had a beautiful turquoise cocktail bar near the atrium. The Crows Nest equivalent was a strange design (I head it had been planned as a double height lounge but pretty soon they realised that most passengers (ie on the lower deck couldn’t see out) and so a ramp was installed and only the upper section used - not sure of the truth of this!
Had three interesting experiences on the ship. 1) we were buzzed by a French C130. ( fortunately we were warned by the bridge in advance- as there was quite a bit of tension in the Med at the time) and as a thank you the pilot showed of by doing a fly past at pretty close to 0 ft. I sure we could look down on him from the upper deck.
Same cruise and one balmy afternoon the ship heeled over…& kept on going. After the initial lurch it became quite alarming. Fortunately it was soon righted. Apparently the auto pilot had had a bit of a blip!
The last memory was sailing round the heel of Italy. There was a sudden change of temp and the anemometer on the mast started spinning wildly. We were sailing through a field of water spouts. Towels were lifting from the deck and you could see spray rising from the sea’s surface and turning into spirals. I rushed to get my camera - in vain. The cool camera from the camera immediately misted up in the humid air.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Yes Oceana and Ocean Village (Arcadia) were the two we were on as well. However Oceana was our favourite P&O ship, we felt there was just something a little more friendly about the atmosphere onboard (except the mass crush at the tat stalls). Loved our trips on Ocean Village as well, especially the casual cruising aspect.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We really liked Oceana and her sister ship Adonia before her. Not enough lifts but a good promenade deck and some pleasant outside seating areas and bars up top.

Magellan I supplied some equipment for whilst she was being fitted out in Aalborg soon after launching and I visited her there a couple of times. She was the first of the new style Carnival ships and represented a massive gamble for them. My parents and sister did a Caribbean cruise on her a couple of years later. I believe she has now been scrapped. It’s sad to follow the life of a vessel from birth to death.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I see that the majority of the ships mentioned in the list have in fact been transferred to other owners so they go on working as cruise ships. Oceana was always John and my favourite P&O ship - we loved the aft mini suites and, when we could afford it, the aft suites - huge, proper suites. We sailed on Azmara's Pursuit when she was P&O's second Adonia. We also sailed on Sea Princess when she was the first P&O Adonia - in fact she was our first P&O ship - sister to Oceana. It doesn't take much to spot that in several cases it's the smaller ships that are going and the giants are moving in. Not for me. I hadn't realised that one of the Holland America ships going to Fred Olsen is one of the R class ships, just like Adonia (Pursuit). Maybe look at that some time in the future.

Carole

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Now that P&O are going down the larger ships route we are also looking at FO. Hopefully they don't get rid of Aurora and Arcadia any time soon.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I was surprised to find that I've been on 7 of these ships - Oceana was a favourite as was Sea Princess. I do sympathise with those who prefer the smaller ships but the "big" ships do provide more for younger passengers and as most of my cruises now are with my family I'm happy to sail on them.
Janis

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”