Accessible cabins.

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Accessible cabins.

Post by towny44 »

Does anyone have information on accessible cabins on Arcadia, Oceana, Oriana and Aurora.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Lynn S
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Accessible cabins.

Post by Lynn S »

We had an accessible balcony cabin on Arcadia (E deck). Adequate, but narrower cabin than on Ventura/Azura. Did the job, but Ventura was far better for us. We liked Arcadia and would sail on her again if we couldn't book Ventura/Azura. Hope this helps a little.

Lynn

Sybella
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Sybella »

We need a walk in shower on Arcadia. Can anyone suggest a cabin number? We would like a balcony too.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Lynn, Can you provide some more details on the Arcadia HC cabins, what was the balcony like, from the deck plans it looks to be bigger than a normal balcony but with angled balcony doors. And what about the rest of the ship, were there any problems with access to the outside decks and were there adequate wheelchair accessible public toilets?
John

Lynn S
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lynn S »

We chose E deck deliberately because of the larger balcony - although it's an odd shape! My husband found it difficult to get in an out of the door because it's not a sliding door, and there's also not a lot of room on the angle getting in and out; however, he managed if I held open the door. The cabin is the same width as a standard balcony cabin, and there was just enough room between the end of the bed and the wall to get the wheelchair through. Having said that, we managed fine in the cabin, and we had a portable hoist, self-propelled shower chair, and a manual chair as well as his power chair! We were quite happy because we didn't have anything to compare it with:-) Having now been on Ventura where the cabins are 50% wider (ie 13ft instead of 9ft) we would probably only book Arcadia if we couldn't get anything else!

We liked the ship, and the crew were very good/helpful; we met some nice people (and one or two not-so-nice). The ship as a whole was perfectly accessible, although the doors to the prom deck were heavy and John wouldn't have managed them on his own. There seemed to be accessible toilets dotted around - the deck plans online or in the brochure should show you where they are - John seems to remember that there were automatic doors that seemed to take an age to close:-)

Remember to take an extension and/or adaptor with you because there is only one socket - above the dressing table.

Hope this helps!
Lynn

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote:
Lynn, Can you provide some more details on the Arcadia HC cabins, what was the balcony like, from the deck plans it looks to be bigger than a normal balcony but with angled balcony doors. And what about the rest of the ship, were there any problems with access to the outside decks and were there adequate wheelchair accessible public toilets?
Towny44,

Although I have not used adapted cabins i do understand that those on Acadia are not the best. I did read this on the old site. I cannot remember who posted the information.

Gan Canny

Dai

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Towny44,

Although I have not used adapted cabins i do understand that those on Acadia are not the best. I did read this on the old site. I cannot remember who posted the information.

Gan Canny

Dai
Yes they are the same as the HAL Vista ships, however I notice from deck plans that Cunard on QV & QE have a different arrangement for their HC cabins, but I could not find any dimensions so don't know if they are really larger.
John

hopefultraveller
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hopefultraveller »

We've just booked a D deck accessible cabin on Azura for next year. Does anyone know if there are any photos of this type of cabin anywhere?

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

hopefultraveller wrote:
We've just booked a D deck accessible cabin on Azura for next year. Does anyone know if there are any photos of this type of cabin anywhere?
If you just google disabled cabins azura you will find some photos. I havent stayed in d deck but we stayed in a c deck cabin last year. It was our first cruise and we were a bit apprehensive but it was fabulous. The cabin was huge and the bathroom was a good size. It could fit wheelchair and shower chair side by side with plenty of room to move around. We had to move a table and chair around to make moving around inside cabin but there was plenty of space to move them to one side. I would imagine D deck cabins will be a similair size.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

daib GC wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Towny44,

Gan Canny

Dai
Towny/Dai I think it might have been Mavis who posted about Arcadia on the old site, drop her a pm as she is a wheelchair user and I'm sure she will offer any help she can.

Maybe you should ask David if he can set up a disabled section I'm sure it would be a great help to many.
Jo

Mee Mee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mee Mee »

I have just found this site and joined. I used to post on the old site and was the person who requested the disability section was added so used to post frequently with advice. My adult son is a perm electric wheelchair user and we have cruised with him on Aurora, Ventura and Azura, we have also cruised on Oriana but it won't be until next year that we will have tried the accessible cabins.

We always book a multiple berth accessible cabin so we can share with my son to be on hand to provide his care, so on Aurora have only had an inside cabin A201 and A202, these cabins are very roomy and have full wet rooms. On Ventura and Azura we have had the obstructed view accessible cabins on E deck and the disabled balcony cabins on A and C deck. All these cabins are great again large with full wet rooms. The balconies are best on C deck being larger than A, B and D deck so offering even more space for a wheelchair user.

Please do feel free to ask if you have any questions about these cabins.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Mee Mee , I remember you from the old site, glad you've found us and welcome aboard :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome to the site Mee Mee. It's good to hear from you again.

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

Hello MeMe welcome, you gave me lots of useful advice on the old site.

justjules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Accessible cabins - IONA

Post by justjules »

does anyone have any pics of the accessible cabins on IONA please - are the sinks wheelchair height?

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Accessible cabins - IONA

Post by towny44 »

justjules wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 18:35
does anyone have any pics of the accessible cabins on IONA please - are the sinks wheelchair height?
The sink height is adjustable, so you can set it to suit yourself.
John

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”