Will the travel industry ever return to pre-COVID levels?

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Will the travel industry ever return to pre-COVID levels?

Post by Kendhni »

An interesting item on the radio this morning was discussing the COVID impact on the travel industry. One of the commentators, and another agreed, was that it was unlikely that the travel industry would ever 'be allowed' to return to pre-covid levels. It was use of 'be allowed' that particularly attracted my attention. Unfortunately I was not able to hear the end of the discussion but I caught enough to hear that the number of flights and airmiles flown would enter into the equation.

It made me wonder if the number of cruise miles would also become relevant.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will the travel industry ever return to pre-COVID levels?

Post by david63 »

I think that possibly there are two issues with "being allowed" statement.

1. Because of Covid I would guess that certainly in the short/medium term there will be restrictions on which countries we can visit and which countries we will allow visitors in from. Not to mention Covid vaccination requirements (both ways)

2. The other one is that because of the way that Covid has decimated the travel industry, airlines in particular, that there could end up with less aircraft in the skies and with so much emphasis on the environment it is a case of killing two birds with one stone.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think your last point is likely to have the most impact David, and I agree that the environmental lobby will be pushing to restrict future flights to much less than pre pandemic levels, and I do expect to see some sort of taxation on frequent flyer miles for both business and leisure users.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 14:04
I think that possibly there are two issues with "being allowed" statement.

1. Because of Covid I would guess that certainly in the short/medium term there will be restrictions on which countries we can visit and which countries we will allow visitors in from. Not to mention Covid vaccination requirements (both ways)

2. The other one is that because of the way that Covid has decimated the travel industry, airlines in particular, that there could end up with less aircraft in the skies and with so much emphasis on the environment it is a case of killing two birds with one stone.
Good points David. I would have loved to have heard the end of the show, but they were talking about your second point, driven by environmental issues. They didn't touch on cruising but, given that cruise ships are not the most environmentally friendly of devices, I was wondering if they may also take a hit ... I was thinking if the fly cruise would be more restricted requiring longer cruises (cruise to destination rather than fly) and possibly pushing their market back towards the older generation that have time on their hands and, in some cases, money to spend.

I really hope not - but I am not sure the status quo is sustainable.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 17:32
I was thinking if the fly cruise would be more restricted requiring longer cruises (cruise to destination rather than fly) and possibly pushing their market back towards the older generation that have time on their hands and, in some cases, money to spend.

I really hope not - but I am not sure the status quo is sustainable.
I'm not sure what the environmental impact would be by restricting fly cruises in preference for longer cruises, but if there is a significant difference then I think your suggestion has some merit.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Interesting piece that suggests that a requirement for COVID vaccines may be a necessary requirement for travel ... permanently.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/double-covid- ... 43609.html

Not sure that I like it, especially if you think about what happens when another significant disease comes along (inevitable), however I Understand the sentiment and am happy to abide by it.

carol-juanginger1952
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by carol-juanginger1952 »

We are going on the Enchanted Princess next month and are both fully vaccinated has anyone done the pre cruise antigen test I'm thinking about doing the one before we leave home is it complicated and would we be better doing the one in the port?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Very difficult for anyone to answer Carol, unless they know the Princess protocol.
Where is the ship departing from?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Carol :wave:

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”