Post by Kendhni »

A nice little article from our friends at CruiseCritic
https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=6188

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Pandemic cruise myths busted

Post by Onelife »

It reads more like a promotional pitch to me Ken, but for some it will read well I’m sure.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

To be honest I felt the same but I also thought it was a bit reassuring.
I really look forward to getting back to cruising.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Reassurance is the key word, and cruise lines only option is to spread the good news :think:

I hope all will be enjoying carefree cruising in the not to distance future :thumbup: :wave: .

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Just got back from our first cruise in two and a half years. It was only a 3 nighter but it was good to get back. We have been fairly risk averse throughout the pandemic.
We arrived dock gate 4 just before mid day and were sent to City terminal to drop off luggage. Then drove to Mayflower for testing. Spent about 90 minutes in queue of cars (long queue due to Iona & QM2 boarding on the same day. Iona had two queues QM2, one - in proportion to No of passengers.) Testing over, we drove back to City to drop off car for parking. Test results came just as we entered terminal. Even though we had been pretty much in isolation for the week or so before the cruise it is still a bit nervy waiting for results. The testing queue had smoothed the passenger flow so straight through tickets/ health questions & security. On board at just after 1:30.
On board everyone wears a mask when moving around the inside of the ship. In the theatre ents staff were vigilant and reminded those who were not wearing their mask correctly.
We only used the buffet for the first day lunch and staff served you the main course. There were some things to which passengers helped themselves - I think. Waiters got hot drinks for you.
In the MDR you were assigned a table for dinner (first sitting) as usual but we noticed that when you came for breakfast or lunch (open sitting) you were asked your cabin number and were assigned a table in the same section as you dinner table. I think they were forming a sort of bubble with passengers of 1st & 2nd sitting and their waiters. Waiters wore masks at all times.
First sitting dinner was 6:00 for 6:15, this avoided any congregating at the entrance to the MDR.
Swimming pool was open but no quoits. There was a shuffle board gear available. Table tennis was available with anti viral wipes for bats & balls. Hand gel dispensers were at the entrance of all public rooms and staff checked they were being used.
Bars, lounges and ballroom. Masks were worn until seated. You didn’t need to wear a mask when dancing!
Disembarkation was from your cabin- a big improvement to having to get out of your cabin by 8:00am ( although a conflicting message came over the tannoy that passengers could enjoy the lounges until their disembarkation time. Very smooth disembarkation.
Presumably covid restrictions also meant there were no drinks lists on lounge table. This made ordering drinks a bit like Russian roulette until you saw the charge on your account the next day!
Overall a very positive experience where we felt safe but not overly constrained. The ship carried 1700 passenger (usually ~2700, I think.)
It was our first trip on Cunard (many trips on P&O) and it’s fair to say that both brands have their strengths. We would sail on either in the future.
Last edited by Ranchi on 03 Dec 2021, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Thanks for taking the trouble to post, Ranchi.
Very interesting but still not for us - yet!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks Ranchi for the report.

Seems a bit of a faff going backwards and forwards to two different terminals.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Ranchi…I’m sure, soon to be cruisers will find your report very enlightening. :thumbup:

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Stephen wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 12:32
Thanks Ranchi for the report.

Seems a bit of a faff going backwards and forwards to two different terminals.
I think it was different for passengers arriving by train/taxi which didn’t involve the drive from City to Mayflower. Also, our berth was changed the day before embarkation.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Went to the surgery this morning for a blood test. They had loads of gel and wipes but it kinda fitted in but for me less so on a cruise. We will have to wait with the other scaredy cats but well done Ranchi for taking the plunge :clap: .
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Oh we too are scaredy cats, MoB. We spend quite a bit of time in Scotland and have been far happier up there as masks were mandatory in shops etc. We chose the short cruise with only 1 port as we are not that daring. All passengers had to be fully vaccinated and we were only on board for a few hours after we left our first port. I think a cruise with multiple ports would be more daunting. I must admit to being a little nervous when we arrived at our hotel on the night prior to embarkation to find that most folk seemed to be ignoring distancing & mask wearing.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”