Post by kaymar »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59834211

Well, at least the ships will be quieter :relaxed:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Avoid cruises even if vaccinated, CDC tells Americans

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I wouldn't be going yet. Too much risk of ending up being put ashore to quarantine in a foreign hotel. But I really hope things have settled for QV in May and Iona in August.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are still in two minds about our July cruise on Aurora. I think it will be make up mind time when the balance is due in March.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We settled the balance on ours last month and hope to get away in March ... if not then there is always June and Sep to look forward to.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We are in the process of trying to transfer our fully paid Feb Canaries cruise to a later date. Waiting for our TA to report back to us.
However if P&O were to give us an assurance that if we tested postive we would quarantine on board and be brought back to Southampton, then we would probably go ahead with the cruise.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Sadly I think that is not the case. I guess the risks are too big, as the Princess situation at the start of the pandemic illustrated. I think the current policy is offload a.s.a.p. Though oof course others may have more up to date info.

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 09:52
Sadly I think that is not the case. I guess the risks are too big, as the Princess situation at the start of the pandemic illustrated. I think the current policy is offload a.s.a.p. Though oof course others may have more up to date info.
Indeed, that's the major problem even if perhaps secondary to actually becoming infected in the first place, given the perceived greater risk of doing so in the confined space of a cruise ship. Three vaccinations will help but certainly no 100% guarantee.

When, in November 2000, we cancelled two 2021 cruises, we booked J219 for October 2022, feeling pretty confident that "it would be all over by then". Now, we're not so sure! Only 5% deposit paid, balance not due until mid-July so surely by then....................... But, if necessary we would have no problem with losing £300 rather than taking a risk which at present looks unacceptable.

At least, if we do go, there should not be as many of our "cousins" about :D

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I dont think that P and O are in a position to give an assurance of that kind. When I enquired I was told it would be a decision made by P and O and the relevant port authority.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 08:07
We are still in two minds about our July cruise on Aurora. I think it will be make up mind time when the balance is due in March.
Same here.
Late June looks unlikely for us unless there are significant changes.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 16:18
Same here.
June/July is a long time away, and previous waves have only lasted about 3-4 months, and because omicron is so much more transmissible its wave is predicted to be shorter, but with a steep rise and then fall.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I was speaking with our travel agent today about options and she said at the moment it is case by case how P&O would handle it. I basically wanted to know, if we paid our deposit by end of March and then decided not to travel could we transfer our booking to a cruise to 2023 without losing money. And if we cancelled before paying our balance for a full refund would we get all our money back including deposit, bearing in mind that our cruise date would still be well over hundred days away.

She is going to get back to me in a few days time once she has had a reply from P&O.......in which case make that a fortnight, probably.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

towny44 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 16:35
Same here.
June/July is a long time away, and previous waves have only lasted about 3-4 months, and because omicron is so much more transmissible its wave is predicted to be shorter, but with a steep rise and then fall.
It’s not just the worry of being disembarked, it’s also about the cruise experience.
Any restrictions from normal will be a no no.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 16:50
towny44 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 16:35

Same here.
It’s not just the worry of being disembarked, it’s also about the cruise experience.
Any restrictions from normal will be a no no.
Quite a lot of posts on lots of sites, including Sue Kershaw's thread on here, from people currently cruising are saying how much they are enjoying the cruise, despite the current protocols.
John

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We went on Iona for 2 weeks in October and thoroughly enjoyed it even with “restrictions “ - due to go to Caribbean in February and will still go if the ship goes!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It’s not the restrictions that bother me, it’s the thought of getting Covid and being offloaded.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I wholeheartedly agree with Stephen.
I can take distancing and mask wearing etc.
Put being put off into a hotel is a definite no.

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If Mobietta, for example, is put off into a Hotel what happens to me and who pays for it. It is also possible that we could finish up in different Hotels and that I wouldn't be allowed to visit her. Neither of us would want that.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:54
Quite a lot of posts on lots of sites, including Sue Kershaw's thread on here, from people currently cruising are saying how much they are enjoying the cruise, despite the current protocols.
Are there any from couples where one or the other or both have been offloaded due to Covid ?

Those I would very much like to read.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 09:35
towny44 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:54
Are there any from couples where one or the other or both have been offloaded due to Covid ?

Those I would very much like to read.
There is a conspiracy theory on CC that they are being persuaded to sign a non disclosure agreement in order to guarantee that P&O will pay all their extra costs that their insurance does not cover.
Believe what you will about that.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 09:33
If Mobietta, for example, is put off into a Hotel what happens to me and who pays for it. It is also possible that we could finish up in different Hotels and that I wouldn't be allowed to visit her. Neither of us would want that.

Put like that I’m slowly coming round to the idea :D :)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Not that we have any cruises planned in the near future but in the present climate you wouldn’t get me on a cruise ship even if you, my good forum friends clubbed together to get rid of me. :o treat me.

Fair enough for those of you who are prepared to take the chance, but please bear in mind that the way hospital admissions are going you could find yourselves in the unfortunate position of needing to be hospitalised yourselves. This being the case you could end up in one of the satellite Nightingale hospitals which isn’t where I would expect you will be receiving the best NHS treatment…pure conjecture on my part but a realistic expectation considering the pressures on the NHS at present.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If you got Covid on a cruise, unless its was round the UK, you'd be very unlikely to end up in an NHS hospital, even a Nightingale. A far worse, and potentially expensive, fate awaits!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 17:10
If you got Covid on a cruise, unless its was round the UK, you'd be very unlikely to end up in an NHS hospital, even a Nightingale. A far worse, and potentially expensive, fate awaits!
Since they are only to be used for patients with mild symptoms who are recovering, that sounds OK.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 17:45
Since they are only to be used for patients with mild symptoms who are recovering, that sounds OK.
I think we may be at cross purposes. What I meant was if you end up dumped off the ship with Covid and you are abroad it will be a hospital abroad you end up in, not the NHS, and then have to get home. Not my preferred end to a cruise holiday!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 17:57
towny44 wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 17:45
I think we may be at cross purposes. What I meant was if you end up dumped off the ship with Covid and you are abroad it will be a hospital abroad you end up in, not the NHS, and then have to get home. Not my preferred end to a cruise holiday!
My reply was aimed mainly at one life, I fully realised the point you were making, which is the main reason we are trying to cancel and switch our Feb cruise. If P&O would guarantee that we would only be quarantined on board, and brought back to Southampton, we would be happy to sail.
John

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”